Gen 2 Engine Development begins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah sure 20hp isnt going to make a lick of a difference, in fact it might make hooking on launch even harder. But this is only the beginning and maybe you are too short sighted to see it. The next step is changing the gearing, then its weight reduction with a chain drive, running slicks or race tires, race fairings, etc.
People have been tuning motors for decades for various reasons, if I want an additional 10% and am willing to pay for it then who cares? Its like what a previous commenter said, I have spent more money on aesthetic mods for this bike than performance mods. My bike isnt a garage queen. Ive ridden my 2017 28,000 hard miles, so maybe in my case im okay with opening it up, rebuilding it and squeezing some more performance out of it?
mngforce is doing god's work here and some of you guys are too blinded to see it. The gen 2 vmax is dead as of MY2020 and unless an aftermarket engine developer picks it up this might be the last of the Yamaha V4s.
Yeah it performs great stock but the same thing was said about the Hayabusa and look where those are today. If no one took the plunge and bolted a turbo to that motor then the busa might have died after the first gen. If our community can show love and support for this gen 2 then who knows maybe we will get a gen 3 someday.

Last edited:
mngforce when you have time PM me your paypal info. Id like to invest in your R&D.

Yeah sure 20hp isnt going to make a lick of a difference, in fact it might make hooking on launch even harder. But this is only the beginning and maybe you are too short sighted to see it. The next step is changing the gearing, then its weight reduction with a chain drive, running slicks or race tires, race fairings, etc.
People have been tuning motors for decades for various reasons, if I want an additional 10% and am willing to pay for it then who cares? Its like what a previous commenter said, I have spent more money on aesthetic mods for this bike than performance mods. My bike isnt a garage queen. Ive ridden my 2017 28,000 hard miles, so maybe in my case im okay with opening it up, rebuilding it and squeezing some more performance out of it?
mngforce is doing god's work here and some of you guys are too blinded to see it. The gen 2 vmax is dead as of MY2020 and unless an aftermarket engine developer picks it up this might be the last of the Yamaha V4s.
Yeah it performs great stock but the same thing was said about the Hayabusa and look where those are today. If no one took the plunge and bolted a turbo to that motor then the busa might have died after the first gen. If our community can show love and support for this gen 2 then who knows maybe we will get a gen 3 someday.
Just my 2 cents here... 20 hp is nothing to dismiss, we all spent money on pipes, did the Air box mod and had our ECU's reflashed to get what ?? Mine dyno'd at 172 hp stock and with these additions it's now at 187 hp so maybe 15 hp. The bike responds better then stock, I think mostly because of the Nash flash that changes or eliminates some restrictions but over all you can feel the difference. I believe some of the frustration comes from how long this is taking, It's going on 2 years now and what is there to show so far ?? Alot of parts donated including a complete short block engine. Some of us already have skin in the game here. My opinion is if MNGFORCE can design cams then can we get one(set) that works with the stock motor ? If it needs better springs, spec those out as part of a kit ? Obviously MNGFORCE can design a performance head, can we get that as a service ? With the lack of progress it seems like it's getting a little edgy with everyone waiting. If God's work is being done here then what is avaiable, I haven't seen anything yet. Still waiting !!!

Just starting this thread. Awesome to find it but I wanted to know if you can explain what’s going on here? Did you buy a motor to rebuild to be better or are you building parts that will be available to everyone? I’ve just never seen anything like this and it’s definitely awesome stuff.

I wouldn't waste my time for under 20hp(10%) 25% or forget about it. Leave the thing stock. They are heavy and slow 20hp ain't going to do crap.
Heavy and slow, I think it’s a beast. Lol I love being able to spin the rear up right off the throttle. My R1 is faster but it wants to wheelie instead of spinning. Both are fun. The torque on the vmax is amazing.

Heavy and slow, I think it’s a beast. Lol I love being able to spin the rear up right off the throttle. My R1 is faster but it wants to wheelie instead of spinning. Both are fun. The torque on the vmax is amazing.
He did self describe as a lunatic before that heavy and slow comment🤷‍♂️

A 200hp gain still doesn't impress me each to himself I guess. It's what ever you get used to. I just laugh when people act like a pipe and filter makes a Hugh difference. I've been around slow 7 and 8 second cars my whole adulthood so a 10 sec bike seems like a moped. And I can't imagine what a top fuel driver thinks about how slow everything else is lol. It's all about what you have been around or used to.

A 200hp gain still doesn't impress me each to himself I guess. It's what ever you get used to. I just laugh when people act like a pipe and filter makes a Hugh difference. I've been around slow 7 and 8 second cars my whole adulthood so a 10 sec bike seems like a moped. And I can't imagine what a top fuel driver thinks about how slow everything else is lol. It's all about what you have been around or used to.
It's a 10 second bike off of the showroom floor. I'll be honest, your first comment looked like a troll reply, which is why I responded the way I did. This response even more so. If you're so uninterested in the project, why did you even bother to post?

It's a 10 second bike off of the showroom floor. I'll be honest, your first comment looked like a troll reply, which is why I responded the way I did. This response even more so. If you're so uninterested in the project, why did you even bother to post?
I sent heads,throttle body,airbox,piston rodst to jump start this project. If anything ever happens that would be awesome but as time goes by I'm losing hope. I have 2 gen 2s by the way.
I wish we could figure out what needs to happen to get the ball moving? Maybe if 10 or more could put down like $2000 I don't know, any other suggestions?

I sent heads,throttle body,airbox,piston rodst to jump start this project. If anything ever happens that would be awesome but as time goes by I'm losing hope. I have 2 gen 2s by the way.
I wish we could figure out what needs to happen to get the ball moving? Maybe if 10 or more could put down like $2000 I don't know, any other suggestions?
I completely agree, waiting for 2 years now for something to happen. New cam design, head porting and/or valve kit or something along the way to feed the interest. By the way I donated a complete motor minus the heads. Has anybody yet tried some performance prepped heads for the Gen2 ?

Wow slow 7 and 8 second cars?? Lol now that’s funny I’ve never even been in something that fast. Lol for me the vmax and my R1 feel fast as hell. I’ll admit I could use more on the R1 sometimes but never felt this way with the vmax being I don’t ride it nothing like the R1. I’m able to quickly overheat the brakes on the max if I pick the pace up too high. Thinking I’m going to replace the front brake pads with the vesrah RJL ZZ pads which make a big difference in braking performance on the R1 so it will also on the max im sure.

Just my 2 cents here... 20 hp is nothing to dismiss, we all spent money on pipes, did the Air box mod and had our ECU's reflashed to get what ?? Mine dyno'd at 172 hp stock and with these additions it's now at 187 hp so maybe 15 hp. The bike responds better then stock, I think mostly because of the Nash flash that changes or eliminates some restrictions but over all you can feel the difference. I believe some of the frustration comes from how long this is taking, It's going on 2 years now and what is there to show so far ?? Alot of parts donated including a complete short block engine. Some of us already have skin in the game here. My opinion is if MNGFORCE can design cams then can we get one(set) that works with the stock motor ? If it needs better springs, spec those out as part of a kit ? Obviously MNGFORCE can design a performance head, can we get that as a service ? With the lack of progress it seems like it's getting a little edgy with everyone waiting. If God's work is being done here then what is avaiable, I haven't seen anything yet. Still waiting !!!
How did you come across a short block? I assume from a crashed vmax?? Just curious if you build them perhaps or just like to have spare parts? These gen 2 are fairly bulletproof ain’t they?

Stuck in between gears and the whole bike got parted out. Easy fix and no other damage got very lucky.

Stuck in between gears and the whole bike got parted out. Easy fix and no other damage got very lucky.
Wow is that something where the cases had to be split? I always hate hearing one was parted out. That part where it broke looks thin. Have you heard of others failing like yours? I know it’s a lot of questions. Lol but why not fix it and keep ?? I guess parting out brings more money? After looking at the pics closer it’s thicker than I thought where it broke.

Last edited:
No splitting of the cases. Just remove the shifter on the left side of the motor and pull the clutch basket out and it slides out the right side easily.

How did you come across a short block? I assume from a crashed vmax?? Just curious if you build them perhaps or just like to have spare parts? These gen 2 are fairly bulletproof ain’t they?
Yes, wrecked bike. Bought it off E-bay specifically to get this project moving. My donation to the project, kept the heads since those were already donated.

Back