• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

GEN1 K & N Filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you give me the height of the filter from flat to flat? (disregard the plug on the bottom)

wildweasel and blaxmax, I do appreciate your assistance. However, I bought a K&N air filter off amazon which supposedly would fit my 89 max, and it was 4 1/2 inches (and thus didn't fit). I didn't realize until after the return period and K&N hasn't helped me at all. I'd prefer not to get burned again, so if vmax2extreme could confirm the size I would be most grateful.

Why would it not fit?
I just measured my stock filter 4 1/4 inches and I just measured my K&N replacement filter 4 3/8 inches.

It was a quarter inch too tall and thus the airbox wouldn't close. I'm not sure why they said it would fit my bike. I verified the part number with the one they said would fit and that the dimensions they listed matched what I had. Dunno.

Don't know what more we can do. I get 4 1/4 on the K&N and 4 3/8 on the stock.
Must be putting it in wrong somehow. What was your part #? Tap the picture twice for a larger size and closer look.

Attachments

• CIMG1160.jpg
    CIMG1160.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG1159.jpg
    CIMG1159.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG1158.jpg
    CIMG1158.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 22
I got 4.5 on the K&N and 4 3/8 on the stock. It's K7N part number YA-1285. According to their website, it should fit my bike, but it definitely does not.

I got 4.5 on the K&N and 4 3/8 on the stock. It's K7N part number YA-1285. According to their website, it should fit my bike, but it definitely does not.
In the photo it shows the replacement filter measured at 4 1/4 inches with a tape measure on it. It is in my stock airbox now.
You have a 4 1/2 inch filter which is not the replacement.

Who's website?

Back