Gen2 idle compared to Gen1 idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc1go

Reaction score
Of the Gen2 owners here, I want to know something. I'm sure many of you have heard how a Gen 1 sounds while at the idle, something like a vintage muscle car with high lift cams, right? To me, it just sounds plain bad ass, but when Yamaha came out with the Gen2, that rough, meaty idle was replaced by a smooth idle, a sound I don't as well. Do any of you agree with me?

Of the Gen2 owners here, I want to know something. I'm sure many of you have heard how a Gen 1 sounds while at the idle, something like a vintage muscle car with high lift cams, right? To me, it just sounds plain bad ass, but when Yamaha came out with the Gen2, that rough, meaty idle was replaced by a smooth idle, a sound I don't as well. Do any of you agree with me?

Yes....the Gen 2 has milder cams than the Gen 1. A Gen 1 with a Kerker race can is one of the nicest sounding bikes there is. IMO

A Gen 2 with a Brocks or YOU F OH, 4-2-1 sounds quite nice though also.

There are times when my 09 is warming up that it will 'lope' a little and remind me of the 85. Not as often, but it does happen.

I run the ufo dragstar on my85' love the sound at idle or even better open vboost at idle even way better. On my 09' I have set akropovic and it sounds pretty nice .Idle both together (couldn't help myself) ufo's drown out akro's only at idle or dragstrip do the dragstar sound the best (imo).

I run the ufo dragstar on my85' love the sound at idle or even better open vboost at idle even way better. On my 09' I have set akropovic and it sounds pretty nice .Idle both together (couldn't help myself) ufo's drown out akro's only at idle or dragstrip do the dragstar sound the best (imo).
I'm running the akros as well, but I think they need repacking as they are starting to sound a little crackly at the idle. Sorta takes away from the deep sound.

There was a guy on the starvmax forum that repacked his and said it gave it much deeper sound. I may do the same soon ..

I've been mulling that mod over ever since he posted it....my Mark's mid-pipe and stock mufflers sounds good but maybe a little to crackly....I prefer the deeper rumble of the Gen I with Marks....but doubt you can achieve that with a Gen II.

I've been mulling that mod over ever since he posted it....my Mark's mid-pipe and stock mufflers sounds good but maybe a little to crackly....I prefer the deeper rumble of the Gen I with Marks....but doubt you can achieve that with a Gen II.
I was running Marks 4-2 on my Gen 1, but I didn't realize just how good that setup sounded until I sold the bike and listened to it as the new owner rode away. I just about broke my leg kicking myself in the ass after the sale. If I could do it again, I would have never sold the bike. You guys have helped me make my decision. I'm ordering some new packing, just need to figure out what is the best kind to get for the Akro's

I have an 85 Vmax, just last year put a Marks 4 into 1 header on, stage 7 jet kit, K&N carb pods, made it sound like a Big Block chevy at idle even louder when you get on it. Couldnt be happier with sound and performance. Gets attention

Mark, I had an 04 with marks 4/2. I think it sounds better than my 2010 with the Akra's, especially at the idle

UFOs aren't mufflers, they're amplifiers!
But do sound cool.. In short bursts.

I agree Danny, I used to own a gen 1 with marks and i don't think the sound can be duplicated. Trying to decide on steel wool are fiberglass packing before I place the order.

Back