general tuning question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye

Reaction score
I have a 2006 vmax, completely stock. I live in Edmonton, Alberta where the elevation is just under 2200ft. My bike runs well, but I can tell it is running rich and the exhaust is almost toxic as a result. I'd like to lean the bike out to get more power while keeping the bike running nicely - any thoughts on where to start would be appreciated!

Should I be getting adjustable needles and new jets? Any size recommendations? Thanks!

Generally, you drop a main jet size per 1000 feet. I would say Mikuni 145's for main jet size. I'm at about 800-900 feet and I had 146.5's in there when it was stock.

Stick with stock needles. Is it rich at idle? You may want to try turning your mixture screws in a bit and may want to increase PAJ2 jets from 170 to 175's.

Thanks! Idle isn't too bad but I'll probably turn it down a tad. I was riding behing on my friend's bike and I could smell it - so more in the riding range.

So you think putting in a larger secondary PAJ would lean out the main jet enough and I could correct the low-end with just the mixture screws?

THe PAJ2 is mainly for pilot circuit but does have a very small affect on midrange.. Only way to lean out main circuit is decresaing size of main jet.

I was fighting a overrich condtion with my 06. I finaly just recently pulled the carbs and checked the float leval and all 4 were way to high. not even close. I noticed another article on here were a guy was checking his floats on his 06 and they were way to high also? Just a thought. I still might be a little rich ,I need to hit the dyno with it again but that is beer money everytime I do that lol.

I found the floats to be rich from the factory on my '06 too. I tore the carbs apart with 3.5K on the odometer when I installed Seans kit.

Check out the pic. Left side carb is the stock setting. Right side carb is about where it should be.

Attachments

• DSC02295.JPG
    DSC02295.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 49
Wow that might explain it! Like I said, bike runs well but it is indeed running rich - I can't stand the smell of the exhaust. So it looks like I have a few things to tackle - or maybe just the float adjustment?

Until now my experience has been with building and tuning pushrod twins (FI) so I have some learning to do about the vmax carb system. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good resource where I could the details about how they work so I can tackle the tuning with some back-up knowledge?

Thanks again,
Elliot

hey hawkeye im up just above 2200ft in the yukon and my bike is pretty much stock just slip on exhaust and got the stock jets in it, im sure could be dropped a little but runs good, no rich smell at all. guess if your in there doing the floats be worth it to chg jets but think you wont have to go far with them. are you running any type of aftermarket pipes/mufflers?

Hey Tugla, no aftermarket exhaust or air filter - bone stock. I was thinking about just throwing an exhaust on to lean everything out, but they just passed a noise bylaw for motorcycles here today (Edmonton) so I figure I''ll just tune it properly. Do you think I should do both the jets and floats at the same time or see if just the floats are the problem? Seems like the '06s are tuned pretty rich.

Back