Getting a gen2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86MaximusPrime

Reaction score
Hey guys, just came back from an underway btw! and im alive!! woot! so...im deciding on getting a gen2 vmax 2010 from a dealer...it has not been owned yet, this is my first bike im going to a dealer for but im really not good at the negotiating thing, so i was wondering if any of you veterans in this business have any suggestions for me... its listed for $15,250 but i wanna walk out of there at most 16...is this possible or is lower possible? let me know please, thanks!

If you can get it for that out-the-door, from MSRP currently advertised, that is a good deal. If they want to boot it up to $17.5K w/all fees, why don't you look for a low-mileage used one and save ~$5K? At Daytona a few weeks ago they were advertising the 2012's for $19,995 at the Yamaha display (pic).

Attachments

• Daytona VMax_2012_04_11.zip
    149.6 KB · Views: 6
Negotiating is simple. Once the sales guy knows you're interested and not just a looky-loo, cut the crap and go straight for the bone. What is the out-the-door price? You'll have to add whatever the tax rate in your county is to that. Assuming it's around 8%, that'll add another $1200 to the price. They may try to nail with you with a "dealer prep" or "delivery" fees. Refuse to pay them. "Dealer prep" is putting oil in it and making sure it starts. Takes around 5 minutes and they try to charge you $100 or more for it.

Tell them you will offer $16k out the door. You don't care how that money is divvied up between the actual bike, fees, tax, ect, but that's your offer. If he hee-haws, says he can't take that much off, it's already xxxx below msrp, yadda yadda, ask if he would like to ask his manager about it. If it still doesn't go anywhere, don't be afraid to get up, say thanks for your time, and leave. Be surprised how effective walking toward the door can be. 5 steps got me another $500 off the price of my truck. "Well sir, wait, let me ask my manager again....."

Come back a week later and try again. If they know you're "hanging around", and only a few hundred bucks is stopping the purchase, they'll let it go. Especially if it's a 2010, it's been sitting around their store for a while and they probably want to get rid of it.

Last edited:
We can also get new bikes (of many kinds) but not sure what kind of price we can get on a new Vmax. I know they don't have any older models on the floor. They did have a 2012 last time I was in there.

Sean

Yeah they are changing the price on me...2010 vmax listed 15999 i offered 16 out the door they said 17 via email then called them they said 18.5 out the door...wtf?

Was in Sehorn Yamaha in Shawnee, OK yesterday having new tires put on my new 2005 Anniversary Edition, #502. While waiting went to the showroom and there sat a brand new 2010 gen2 Vmax with 54 miles on it. Color was red like anniversary edition. They started at 16K, bet I could have bought it cheaper if I showed real interest, a real offer.

Never been on a gen2. Looks alot heavier, bigger. Was really nice.

the one I got (2010) had been on the dealers floor for two years, I bought it from MY SON, couldnt have gotten it cheaper, they're not gonna sell it for less then they paid, if you can get one for 16k BUY IT or wait for a used one.

And I doubt they will ! There were two where my son works for two years . I was waiting to save as big a deposit as I could, then they got a call from an ohio dealer...................one left,the one in the create with my name on it. I paid 16500 +taxes, the guy in Ohio paid more! The price sucks but if you want it ...............you have to pay it, or wait for a used one,hell if you wait long enough the one your looking at could become used.

Don't forget to leave some money in the bank for mods... they're definitely not cheap for the gen2. I'm a total cheap-ass and I still managed to spend about $1500 on mine and I haven't added anything to make it go faster yet. :confused2: :biglaugh:

Scott

Got it...It was fuckin awesome ride!! so fast...first thing i need...bar-end mirrors..and please o please..any suggestions on a new exhaust..i need better sound!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24
Got it...It was fuckin awesome ride!! so fast...first thing i need...bar-end mirrors..and please o please..any suggestions on a new exhaust..i need better sound!

Awesome!!! :punk: Congrats. :clapping:

Depends on what you want... 4 into 1 or 4 into 2. Do a search on the StarVmax site for some ideas on exhaust systems. Lots of pics, videos and dyno/track results to sort through to give you some ideas.

Scott

Congrats on your Gen2 :clapping: My Yamaha dealer in Denton had a used red 2010 with miles on it for $16,786:ummm: So I'm sure you got a great deal on yours .

Back