GPS charger and Battery Tender Jr.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmailley

Reaction score
I just got a GPS handlebar mount and it came with a charger I can wire into my system. Where is the best place to wire this into? Ignition switch would make the most sense but I don't have that much experience with electrical. Any help would be great.

Also, I got a Battery Tender Jr and wired it in a few days ago. I had ridden the bike 2 days before for about an hour so the battery was probably charged pretty well. I connected it to make sure it was properly working and it took a little over an hour to fully charge. That afternoon I rode it for about an hour again and plugged it in after I got home again. This time it took nearly 4 hours to get back to fully charged. I did the r/r wiring fix a while ago and it helped the hard starting issues. I didn't replace the r/r and for the most part I thought the stator was charging properly from the nimbers I got.

Could this just be the charger in a lower amp mode charging it slower or should I be looking at doing some more testing?

I just got a GPS handlebar mount and it came with a charger I can wire into my system. Where is the best place to wire this into? Ignition switch would make the most sense but I don't have that much experience with electrical. Any help would be great.

Also, I got a Battery Tender Jr and wired it in a few days ago. I had ridden the bike 2 days before for about an hour so the battery was probably charged pretty well. I connected it to make sure it was properly working and it took a little over an hour to fully charge. That afternoon I rode it for about an hour again and plugged it in after I got home again. This time it took nearly 4 hours to get back to fully charged. I did the r/r wiring fix a while ago and it helped the hard starting issues. I didn't replace the r/r and for the most part I thought the stator was charging properly from the nimbers I got.

Could this just be the charger in a lower amp mode charging it slower or should I be looking at doing some more testing?

It charges very slowly. What's your voltage a few mins after you are done riding? For what its worth my battery tender has never ever said 'full' when I plugged it in after riding.

I did wire my GPS to the battery with a 7A fuse and an hardwiring kit to convert 12v to 5v. But the bike wiring is getting messy so I'm thinking getting a fuse block. I usually don't like plugging stuff on the harness since it's weak and getting old.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

There is a transformer inline in the wiring they supply, no fuse though. Should I splice a fuse in?

I thought I need to wire it in somewhere that's switched so not to drain the battery?

BTW, here's the link for the mount in caes anyone is looking for one. Under $25 for a mount and the transformer. I had the clip that holds my Garmin but they also sell the unit with the clip.

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/mfx32-gn-mfx-5v-b.htm

There is a transformer inline in the wiring they supply, no fuse though. Should I splice a fuse in?

I thought I need to wire it in somewhere that's switched so not to drain the battery?

BTW, here's the link for the mount in caes anyone is looking for one. Under $25 for a mount and the transformer. I had the clip that holds my Garmin but they also sell the unit with the clip.

You should always put a fuse inline if you are wiring something directly to the battery.

If u want it switched, just put a relay. But since the gps wont drain much power u can spliced almost any switched source, not much risk there i guess.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Here's the RAM mount I use. It has a double ball type riser that makes it possible to get nearly ANY angle you need in order to have the GPS facing you, plus it helps clear the handlebars. Also, it makes removing the unit as easy as twisting the large handle a couple turns and nothing left on the bars except the lower part that requires tools to get off (f'in thieves anyway).

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogRes...d/082065077045066045049052057085/Default.aspx

How many things do you have connected direct to your battery? As of now I have the reg. terms, the r/r fix, my battery tender jr and now I connect my gps charger? That's alot isn't it? Any problems with all those connections direct? Guess I gotta get longer terminal bolts.

Back