GSXR 1100 Front suspension mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaimy

Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all let me introduce myself, im Jaimy from Amsterdam and i recently bought a Vmax 1200. I've owned many bikes before but have fallen in love with this bike. Don't know why it turns terrible, is to small for me noisy but his a bunch of character.

The bike have done a bunch of mods done to it and don't look like the original v-max anymore. But i still drive with the original 43mm front suspension. After doing a bunch of wheely's i broke one of my seals. So whas thinking to put some progressive springs in it while im at it. But now i saw a set of upsidedown gsxr 1100 front suspension online for only 300 euro (See Attachment). Does anyone have experience with this mod?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200825-142354_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200825-142354_eBay.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20200812-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20200812-WA0021.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20200812-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20200812-WA0013.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 26
Wait for @Fire-medic to weigh in.

I know a fellow that put the GSXR front end on his bike and he liked it. I rode it and didn't. I think it's going to come down to your own personal preference, but again, @Fire-medic knows more about it than just about anybody other than Sean Morely. (Forget his user name here.)

I guess it depends on what it is you are trying to achieve.

Mine still retains to OE front end but with Dymag wheels (lower unsprung weight, some 7lb or 3.2 kg if you have been metricated), Racetech springs and Gold Emulators + static sag corrected.
Whilst it is probably a reflection of my riding ability this set-up can go round corners far quicker than I can.

It probably works out a fair bit cheaper than fitting a USD front as you will need custom yokes and wheel/ axle. As the Max will sit higher than the Gixer you will also need stanchion extensions and also a re valved and uprated springs to account for the extra weight.

With the money you save put that to better rear shocks, 17" wheels, braced swinging arm and solid mounts.

It still won't go round corners like a sports bike but it will be able to out perform most riders!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, in the last picture you can see the bike how it stands now. So probably only have to ad some progressive springs and I'll be done. But this will set me back about 250 euro's. The first picture shows the complete fork i can buy for 300. So i was thinking to just fix the seal and sell the old fork so this only wil cost me about 150 euro. Good deal for a usd fork.

MaxMidnight has a cost-effective idea. The triple trees and front wheel, & brakes (calipers, rotors) are more parts that you need. Unfortunately, unless you are the salvage hunter to beat all salvage hunters, you're probably going to spend $2,000 to put that $300 pair of forks only onto your bike.

Exactrep sells 'gullwing' triple trees for the GSXR fork downtubes. That may help with possibly not having to use extensions, as sportbike forks are probably 5" shorter than OEM Yamaha forks. Your best bet is to look at the Exactrep site for more info.

I'd follow MaxMidnight's suggestion of upgrading your OEM 43 mm forks. Progressive Suspension and Race Tech both sell springs for our bikes. Race Tech sells them as a constant-rate spring, to your ready-to-ride weight, and your riding style. The Gold Valve kit or the RICOR kit for the fork valving is a good addition, I have the Race Tech and RICOR valving. This way you don't have to mess with the speedo, and there are several brake mods you can do. the FZR1000-YZF1000-R1 (early) brakes allows you to do 3 opposed pairs of pistons, or blue-dot or gold-dot calipers in the OEM VMax caliper spacing of 100 mm o.c.

I would go with an 18" rear wheel using the OEM VMax splined drive hub. Sean Morley and I offer them in 17" and 18" sizes. This allows use of sportbike rubber and most-importantly, radial tires! I believe Sean, like me, also offers 17" or 18" front wheels using the OEM VMax hubs. Again, you save use of mix & match pieces from other brand/model bikes.

If the guy is selling a complete front end, including forks, downtubes, wheel, calipers, rotors, axle for $300, buy it!

You can get Racetech springs and emulators for about 10% more than the USD forks with the added advantage of that is all you will need to do.
That would leave you some €1700 to play with. Replace the rear shocks with (say) Hagon Nitro's (€420) you would be well on the way to some Dymags with what is still in the piggy bank! :D

Back