Gun Aficionados.....My Companies Newest Customer Is.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itgoes

Reaction score
Kimber, as of this afternoon.

Honestly I didn't know much about them before my meeting other than that they were a gun manufacturer.

Their weapons are beautifully made.

I understand they introduced a new "micro" carry gun today at the SHOT show in Las Vegas .

Nice, maybe they can get you a few demo pieces to test drive! They make beautiful, well-crafted hand guns that are quite accurate right out of the box. That being said however I am not a fan of their product line since I do not like the 1911 form and function. Either way it would still be a fun client to have and I hope it is a rewarding business relationship for you.

Nice, maybe they can get you a few demo pieces to test drive! They make beautiful, well-crafted hand guns that are quite accurate right out of the box. That being said however I am not a fan of their product line since I do not like the 1911 form and function. Either way it would still be a fun client to have and I hope it is a rewarding business relationship for you.

What is it about the 1911 that you don't like? just curious.

Congrats on the new client. What will your company be doing for them?

Thanks. Right now, supplying code readers for serial/production numbers.

As you can imagine there are very strict rules for keeping track of every gun manufactured.

I'm a big fan of Kinber. There was a time when you bought a 1911 "government" model, then you bought a bunch of parts, maybe enlisted the services of a gunsmith, and you ended up with a great shooting target gun. Kimber just eliminated the strip and rebuild phase so you had a better then average target gun right out of the box. Now they offer a wide range of 1911 based guns including a neat little 3" SS Ultra that I carried for many years.

No one would believe the number of rounds I have fired thru 1911s, most in 45ACP. When I grab one of the new "plastic" guns, it just doesn't feel like a gun to me. That dosen't mean I don't use the XDs or a couple of 5.25 XDms, It just means I like the 1911s better. (yes I have shot Glocks, but I chose to shoot .45 and the .45 glocks and I don't get along (The 9mm Glocks work great for me, but again, I choose to use a .45)

For those of you that know about such things, I normaly shoot a 200gr cast lead bullet and losd to "just make" major. These are SWC and coated. The .45 dosen't like these loads. In addition, the loads that just make major in the 1911s do not make major in the glock 45 (they are almost 100fps slower) They also make major in the 5.25 XDm. Because a shooting buddy is a glock guy, We tried to make a load we both could shoot. I tried juiceding up the loads a bit to make Major in the Glock and we had all sorts of feed problems plus leading in the barrel. We tried some round nose hard cast lead in the Glock and the feeding problems went away (for the most part), but we still had leading issues. We shot 2 days back to back and he didn't clean his barrel, and by the end of the second day he was actually getting key holes and piss poor groups. I had a case of Federal 230 gr FMJ and he shot those with no problem (after removing the lead) for several weeks in a row. So I guess my real problem is just that the Glock doesn't like lead- not really the gun. I have never shot groups with the Glock (factory loads) that were as goo as my XDms, and no where near the groups I shoot with my 1911 target guns.

There was a time when you bought a 1911 "government" model, then you bought a bunch of parts, maybe enlisted the services of a gunsmith, and you ended up with a great shooting target gun. Kimber just eliminated the strip and rebuild phase so you had a better then average target gun right out of the box. Now they offer a wide range of 1911 based guns including a neat little 3" SS Ultra that I carried for many years.

Funny, that is almost word for word how the Kimber engineer explained it to me. When new owners came into the company, they turned it around by deciding to specialize in these high end guns that have been assembled to tight tolerances, and have many desirable features that would be normally added to a "standard" gun.

+1 on the Kimbers- Just traded a gorgeous Ultra CDP II 3" barrel .45 for an equally gorgeous Stag Arms AR-15. The Kimber was a sweet shooting gun, but was collecting dust, as I now carry my Sig 938 or Ruger 1911 Commander every day.

What is it about the 1911 that you don't like? just curious.

Single action, can't stand it. The idea of "cocked and locked" while carrying doesn't sit well with me. I prefer a double action from Sig over any 1911 style.

Its a personal preference, Kimber still makes excellent firearms and I am sure I will pick one up at some point for competitive range use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

+1 on the Kimbers- Just traded a gorgeous Ultra CDP II 3" barrel .45 for an equally gorgeous Stag Arms AR-15. The Kimber was a sweet shooting gun, but was collecting dust, as I now carry my Sig 938 or Ruger 1911 Commander every day.

I used an Ultra CDP for a shooting qualification once while becoming an NRA Instructor. The trainer running the class said we would be shooting and to just bring my normal carry gun. We get to the range and the targets are set up at 25yds and I see the other guys taking out long barrel target 22's and target revolvers. That little Kimber made me look good. It gun was capable of far better accuracy than I was.

My ultra always shot good- but of course it has a very short sight radius. When I put the lazer grips on it, I tried shooting from a sandbag rest at 50 ft. using the lazer to sight. I short a 3" group, then just to prove it wasn't just luck I shot another that was just about the same size. The only thing I didn't like is haveing to use a "special tool" for take down. Good thing I had some of those heavy large paper clips in my office because I was always misplacing the damn tool.

Kimber makes some really Awesome Weapons. I've used their parts in some of my 1911 builds but never owned one of their pistols complete.
:confused2::ummm:
I've been testing a lot for Glocks, Storm Lake and Lone Wolf Barrels.
Bought the Springfield XDS and after warranty recall, it's a super carry
weapon. Next favorite is the Para Ordinance Carry 6. Both are tiny 45's.
I need to take a close look at the new Kimber to see what it's like.

Congrats on the contract. Kimber is a highly respected name in the industry

The 1911 is an outstanding platform.

I think all those crappy worn out government models that were floating around for years gave a poor impression to people.

That's pretty cool Mark, congrats. Pretty iconic name....Kimber, certainly wouldn't mind having one of their products. :clapping:

Kimber makes some really Awesome Weapons. I've used their parts in some of my 1911 builds but never owned one of their pistols complete.
confused24.gif
uhm00000.gif

I've been testing a lot for Glocks, Storm Lake and Lone Wolf Barrels.
Bought the Springfield XDS and after warranty recall, it's a super carry
weapon. Next favorite is the Para Ordinance Carry 6. Both are tiny 45's.
I need to take a close look at the new Kimber to see what it's like.

Congrats on the contract. Kimber is a highly respected name in the industry

Thanks guys.

I was only able to handle and see the frames......I did look all through their website however and the guns really look like works of art. http://www.kimberamerica.com/

They just completed building another very large manufacturing facility in Yonkers NY. Their business is booming, like most gun manufacturers.

1911.jpg

The only "bad" thing I hear about that is that they are expanding in NY. I'd like to see more "gun" business moving out of the anti-gun states and into the pro gun states. I mean why make a gun in a state that your workers can't buy your product? My shooting buddy just sent a Kinber in to NY for service. It was a 9mm 1911 target gun. they told him several times to make sure he DID NOT send the magazine with the gun because if he did, they would not be able to send it back to him. You see, it holds more than 7 rounds!

I was surprised to hear that the frames you see in the photo are considered to be the same as completely assembled guns under the law. No distinction.

That's because every piece to complete them can be purchased pretty easily.

Its very easy to build a 1911 "from parts" in fact I have build a couple from parts I took off my other guns. Of course you have to have one part of the gun that you an "track". That is the frame. When I bought frames for the the "parts guns" I put together, I had to do the whole 4473/ permit to purchase deal I did for whole guns. I'm not sure, but I THINK you have to have all sorts of special FFL license to make frames.

The only "bad" thing I hear about that is that they are expanding in NY. I'd like to see more "gun" business moving out of the anti-gun states and into the pro gun states. I mean why make a gun in a state that your workers can't buy your product? My shooting buddy just sent a Kinber in to NY for service. It was a 9mm 1911 target gun. they told him several times to make sure he DID NOT send the magazine with the gun because if he did, they would not be able to send it back to him. You see, it holds more than 7 rounds!

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/1...-round-mag-limit-of-nys-safe-act-allows-rest/

I don't speak lawyer, so I don't know if this is immediate or being challenged or has some type of time frame, but in any case it will be helpful for any gun business in NY.

I'm a big fan of Kinber. There was a time when you bought a 1911 "government" model, then you bought a bunch of parts, maybe enlisted the services of a gunsmith, and you ended up with a great shooting target gun. Kimber just eliminated the strip and rebuild phase so you had a better then average target gun right out of the box. Now they offer a wide range of 1911 based guns including a neat little 3" SS Ultra that I carried for many years.

No one would believe the number of rounds I have fired thru 1911s, most in 45ACP. When I grab one of the new "plastic" guns, it just doesn't feel like a gun to me. That dosen't mean I don't use the XDs or a couple of 5.25 XDms, It just means I like the 1911s better. (yes I have shot Glocks, but I chose to shoot .45 and the .45 glocks and I don't get along (The 9mm Glocks work great for me, but again, I choose to use a .45)

For those of you that know about such things, I normaly shoot a 200gr cast lead bullet and losd to "just make" major. These are SWC and coated. The .45 dosen't like these loads. In addition, the loads that just make major in the 1911s do not make major in the glock 45 (they are almost 100fps slower) They also make major in the 5.25 XDm. Because a shooting buddy is a glock guy, We tried to make a load we both could shoot. I tried juiceding up the loads a bit to make Major in the Glock and we had all sorts of feed problems plus leading in the barrel. We tried some round nose hard cast lead in the Glock and the feeding problems went away (for the most part), but we still had leading issues. We shot 2 days back to back and he didn't clean his barrel, and by the end of the second day he was actually getting key holes and piss poor groups. I had a case of Federal 230 gr FMJ and he shot those with no problem (after removing the lead) for several weeks in a row. So I guess my real problem is just that the Glock doesn't like lead- not really the gun. I have never shot groups with the Glock (factory loads) that were as goo as my XDms, and no where near the groups I shoot with my 1911 target guns.

Polyocdonal rifling doesn't get along with cast bullets, tell your buddy to pick up a $100 lone wolf barrel and he'll be fine. I think Kimber's are overpriced but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Back