Has anyone put H.I.D's on their vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahonda36

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to vmax's. I tried the search function but was not able to find any info on the subject. I would like to install(if possible) an HID headlight in my vmax for night riding. Has anyone done this yet? Any info would be appreciated.

I am running a Silverstar Ultra that works awesome. Is a very bright blue colour instead of the dim yellow of stock. The standard Silverstar will work, they just don't last as long for some reason.

I may have to look into doing this. I had my toyota tacoma retrofitting with hid projectors and I still have a couple bulbs and a ballast left over. What size bulb does the vmax have, H4?

I am running a Silverstar Ultra that works awesome. Is a very bright blue colour instead of the dim yellow of stock. The standard Silverstar will work, they just don't last as long for some reason.

Do you have any pics of the output of the silverstar ultras?

Hi, Im new to vmax's. I tried the search function but was not able to find any info on the subject. I would like to install(if possible) an HID headlight in my vmax for night riding. Has anyone done this yet? Any info would be appreciated.

I have. put it in last week.
I changed 2 Subaru SVX'x and a PT Cruiser as well.
I got a slim ballast 4300K BI-XENON kit for motorcycles off Ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-...62QQcategoryZ36476QQihZ002QQitemZ120284310960

the good: HID (depending on Color Temp. 4000 to 4300 k being brightest) is at least 4x the lumen's of any 55/60 bulb and only draws 35 watts. the light is a hell of allot brighter. this kit fits with minimal work. I routed the wires around the right side through the scoop/cover. power I got from the starter solenoid +.

the bad: routing is interesting. without the slim ballast it won't fit without allot of work. maybe you could work it between the air box and tree, but the slim ballast was hard enough getting in there. The Bi part of Bi-/xenon is a bit of a joke. There is a pattern change, but not like the H4. I like the "high" beam pattern better than the "low" beam pattern. the main/focused light pattern does not shift up like the H4, just more side and light directly in front of the bike.

the ugly: on my bike at least I need to cut some of the back of the housing. the HID bulb and servo setup is a bit longer than stock bulb & connector. I can only get the bulb to focus down so far before it hits the back of the housing.

I can try and take some pictures, but it is a bit difficult to capture headlights.

would I do it again? ohhh yahhh. on all 4 vehicles.

Sorry no pics of the SilverStar on the bike. Am in the process of removing the headlight and installing a GSXR 1000 headlight in its place.

I have. put it in last week.
I changed 2 Subaru SVX'x and a PT Cruiser as well.
I got a slim ballast 4300K BI-XENON kit for motorcycles off Ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-...62QQcategoryZ36476QQihZ002QQitemZ120284310960

the good: HID (depending on Color Temp. 4000 to 4300 k being brightest) is at least 4x the lumen's of any 55/60 bulb and only draws 35 watts. the light is a hell of allot brighter. this kit fits with minimal work. I routed the wires around the right side through the scoop/cover. power I got from the starter solenoid +.

the bad: routing is interesting. without the slim ballast it won't fit without allot of work. maybe you could work it between the air box and tree, but the slim ballast was hard enough getting in there. The Bi part of Bi-/xenon is a bit of a joke. There is a pattern change, but not like the H4. I like the "high" beam pattern better than the "low" beam pattern. the main/focused light pattern does not shift up like the H4, just more side and light directly in front of the bike.

the ugly: on my bike at least I need to cut some of the back of the housing. the HID bulb and servo setup is a bit longer than stock bulb & connector. I can only get the bulb to focus down so far before it hits the back of the housing.

I can try and take some pictures, but it is a bit difficult to capture headlights.

would I do it again? ohhh yahhh. on all 4 vehicles.

I know, I had the gatling gun Q45 projectors in my 06 xrunner and I loved it. I would want 4300k or maybe 6000k max. I have a q45 ballast left over but if you are saying that only a slim ballast will fit, I may have to find a phillips slim ballast to fit. I am going to do some thinking and see if I can figure something out.

if the Q45 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, it ill be tight. if you pull the side cover and ignition cover off you can see if it will fit.

Yeah, it may be a little bigger than that, but I will mess with it this weekend for sure.

Back