HD Screaming Eagle to replace Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backfire

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but after long consideration, I thinking about buying a 2006 Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle V Rod...

I've been on the fence about what to do for this Summer's riding season regarding the decision of either heavily upgrading my current 1995 Yamaha VMax, (which I was preparing to do here shortly) purchasing a 2009 Vmax that may never come to exist (got tired of waiting) or doing/getting something else different altogether.

I stumbled across a very sexy HD Screaming Eagle that has really perked my interest and although I never thought of myself as a Harley owner, that bike seems to resemble the VMax enough in looks (and similar power) that I might have to reconsider a bit. I'm 36 and I can honestly say I'm slowing down some to where I don't need to ride WOT everywhere I go with my hair on fire, but I still want good power, good looks and an Iconic-style muscle cruiser to ride around- like the VMax I have now.

I've never ridden one before...has anyone else? What are they like? What did you think of them?

Here's the machine I'm looking at.

Attachments

• screaming eagle 2.jpg
    screaming eagle 2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 62
  • screaming eagle.jpg
    screaming eagle.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 41
The new ones....2006 and newer I believe are much better than the previous Vrod versions. Better seat, bigger fuel tank and a little better performance.

Cost is a hang up for me though. My thought was that I could take the $5000 I paid for my Vmax and by the time I got to the MSRP of a S.E. Vrod it would have close to 200 rwhp.

IMHO.

Mark

I agree, that bike was a bit cost prohibitive for me when it was new, ($26,000+ IIRC) but now that it's 2008 and the bike I'm looking at is a 2006 with barely 3000 miles, I can pick this one up for approx. $18,000-20k, which is much more paletable for me, compared to $26K+ when brand new. Plus, they'll give me $4000 for my VMax now as trade-in. :)

I say go for it, my buddy I ride with has a modified 02 Vrod its beautiful with a 240 fattire kit and trick paint and exhaust,its not slow it really starts to pull in third gear nice handling bike too.

Another thing I would have to do to the Vrod is change the forward controls to mid controls. Forward contorls make it a bit more difficult/awkward in the curves.

Mark

When you say the difference between "forward" and "mid controls", are you referring to the pedal/shifter positions?

I did set on the bike when I looked at it and I have to say, it felt pretty "natural" while setting there and since I'm not a canyon-carver anyway (the VMax was never good at that to begin with) I'd guess that won't be too big of concern to have the controls "forward" a bit. At least as far as I can tell..

Hercules~
Geez! You can get an even *fatter* tire under there?!?!? Man, that thing already has a *huge* tire under it and I can't imagine stuffing something bigger than that in there. Wow!

EDIT: I just saw where the 240 rear tire is *stock* on the 2006 model. WooHoo!

P.S. I see that the power of the stock 2006 V Rod is 115 HP/86 lbs. I wonder how it will pull compared to the stock 145 HP of the V Max?

Sure the vrod looks and runs nice. But for me Your paying 100% markup on a bike just because the Harley name is on it. It is no way worth the price they charge for it in my opinion. And I talked to a guy that had one and he bragged about spending another 12 grand changing the exhaust and performance kit on it.
The only plus of owning one, in my opinion, is you'll be more accepted with the Harley crowd.
But to each his own I say... If you want one, get one!

I'm not into, nor do I care to be accepted into any "crowd", no matter who they are because I buy a car, bike, ATV or whatever I do so because:

1. I buy what I can afford
2. I buy what I like and what fits me best
3. I buy what I think is the most fun at that given time if my percieved value is worth what I'm paying

To me, this machine seems like it fits all of these at this present time, so I don't get hung up on prices, ego's and whatever else most folks do, just to say "I have it". None of that makes any difference to me... I ride/buy for me...no one else.

I've never owned an HD, because I always thought they were overpriced, antiquated, old water pumper-engined bikes that were slow with crappy technology. I still think that about the majority of them, but I also feel as if this high performance HD is different because it's not as much a regular HD as it is everything else that the regular dresser HD isn't.

It has big Brembo brakes, EFI, Porche-designed high-tech OHC engine, liquid cooling, integral transmission, forged wheels, big tires, stainless steel braided brake lines, digital gauges, billet controls, chrome everywhere, etc. etc, etc. Therefore to me, that technology is worth it -AND- the bike will carry the HD name, which will make it sell much better/easier on the re-sale, than any used Jap bike ever would on it's best day.

It's kind of like when you compare the price of a new BMW to a comparable model new Chevy. Sure, the BMW will carry a higher intial price tag than the Chevy, but the build quality is better and it carries it's resale value all the way to the end, where the Chevy won't be worth a damn in 3 years due to severe depreciation. You'll pay more for the BMW up front, but you'll get it back on the resale...everytime- unlike the Chevy, where you'll still pay a lot up front and it's not worth spit in 3 years.....

Don't get me wrong, but I LOVE my Max and most other Jap bikes as well- always will, but let's face it, I'm sick of waiting on Yamaha to get off their azz and produce the bike I've been waiting on for well over 1 1/2 years now. More than likely, the new Max will be in the same relative price range as the bike I'm looking at now anyway, so it's not a money issue between the two either.

I'm still on the fence about this bike, but I'm liking it more and more- especially with the uncertainty of the new VMax release anyway. We'll see, but I'm 85% sure I'll have the thing, unless something better comes along first.

Check out this link for S.E. V Rod performance! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LO87AwwSyk&NR=1

Thanks for the opinions. :)

When you say the difference between "forward" and "mid controls", are you referring to the pedal/shifter positions?

I did set on the bike when I looked at it and I have to say, it felt pretty "natural" while setting there and since I'm not a canyon-carver anyway (the VMax was never good at that to begin with) I'd guess that won't be too big of concern to have the controls "forward" a bit. At least as far as I can tell..

Hercules~
Geez! You can get an even *fatter* tire under there?!?!? Man, that thing already has a *huge* tire under it and I can't imagine stuffing something bigger than that in there. Wow!

EDIT: I just saw where the 240 rear tire is *stock* on the 2006 model. WooHoo!

P.S. I see that the power of the stock 2006 V Rod is 115 HP/86 lbs. I wonder how it will pull compared to the stock 145 HP of the V Max?

Is that like the fuel injected 88C.I. Harleys that claim 110hp and really make 60hp?

Shawn, those numbers are accurate but the Vrod loses steam at 120.....a stock Vrod that is. Not sure about the screamin eagle.

Mark

The 2006 1250cc S.E. HD is factory rated at 115 HP/86 lbs., but I don't know if that's at the tire or the engine. I'd guess since it can blow off that big rear tire like that (same as the VMax) that power rating is probably at the rear tire- just like the VMax.

My pristine, stock 1995 VMax made 118 RWHP/81 RWTQ as a comparison.

Backfire, you are correct. Those values are rwhp.

Mark

Here are some crummy pic's of my buddys Vrod its sits next to my Vmax in his shed.

Attachments

• Picture 1701.jpg
    Picture 1701.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 1702.jpg
    Picture 1702.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 31
My riding friend has a Nightrod. It is a very nice bike and he loves it. Last weekend he tried to roll on me (I was behind him) and I almost ran him over once the Max got wound up...and my Max is a little down on power I think and the clutch is near death.

Mike

I was REAL close to buying a Night Rod Special a month ago. I absolutely love 'em, but hate the local dealership, and decided to save some money this year. Maybe next year, who knows.

the nightrod is a good looking bike, already comes with 18's and a 240 out back. Like they say, the grass is always greener. I'll stick with what I've got. I's black, It's bad looking IMO, and It's paid for.

hmmm put a bellypan on it and it would look kinda familar.:hmmm:

Attachments

• vrscdx.jpg
    vrscdx.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 36
I am actually moving just slightly in the opposite direction. I bought a vivid black '07 Road King last year and I love that bike! (Shhhhh...don't tell anybody that there's a new Hardly guy on the forum :whistlin:). I sold my CBR 900 and that $$ paid for about 1/4 of the Harley - or actually it paid for the mods that I did to it. The HD has been a quality bike, I am very impressed with it and they are 100x better than they were back in the old AMF days. It is a Cadillac ride and the Lazy-Boy set-up is oh so comfortable. I find that I am missing the thrill of the CBR though :rocket bike: - so I just bought an '05 Vmax (still waiting on it to ship across the U.S., should be here in a week or so). I am looking forward to mods for that already. I have always wanted a Vmax. As I get older I find that my back does not appreciate the crotch-rocket ride any longer, I think the Max will be just the ticket! I am keeping the King (probably forever) and I expect to have Max for years to come too. If you have the cash, I say buy the Vrod:cheers:.

Now...I just need another dirt bike, and then an old Triumph cafe bike and also maybe a canyon carver and a bar-hopper rat bike and then a bigger garage and THEN I promise will be done, Honey!! OK, time to quit with the day dreams and get back to work...

I am actually moving just slightly in the opposite direction. I bought a vivid black '07 Road King last year and I love that bike! (Shhhhh...don't tell anybody that there's a new Hardly guy on the forum :whistlin:). I sold my CBR 900 and that $$ paid for about 1/4 of the Harley - or actually it paid for the mods that I did to it. The HD has been a quality bike, I am very impressed with it and they are 100x better than they were back in the old AMF days. It is a Cadillac ride and the Lazy-Boy set-up is oh so comfortable. I find that I am missing the thrill of the CBR though :rocket bike: - so I just bought an '05 Vmax (still waiting on it to ship across the U.S., should be here in a week or so). I am looking forward to mods for that already. I have always wanted a Vmax. As I get older I find that my back does not appreciate the crotch-rocket ride any longer, I think the Max will be just the ticket! I am keeping the King (probably forever) and I expect to have Max for years to come too. If you have the cash, I say buy the Vrod:cheers:.

Now...I just need another dirt bike, and then an old Triumph cafe bike and also maybe a canyon carver and a bar-hopper rat bike and then a bigger garage and THEN I promise will be done, Honey!! OK, time to quit with the day dreams and get back to work...

I hear you. My friend got the V-Rod (his is an older one, it is dark blue and "only" has a 200 on the back) and he started bugging me to get a bike. I had not owned a bike since my VFR750 that I had in the early '90s.

I really wanted a 2 stroke hooligan bike. I always wanted an RD or an RZ. Then I discovered the H1s and H2s and I was hot for one. Almost bought a really nicely restored '73 H1, but backed out because of the handling and braking issues. So, I got an RZ350, a bike I wanted since they came out. Where I live it is mostly flatland riding. Takes a solid 40 minutes to find any curves. The RZ was physically kiling me on 2 hour rides. So, I bought the V-Max. Now, a mere month since buying the Max, I am having a yearning for a Supermoto bike so I can do foot down hooligan slides through turns. I have to hold myself at bay...I don't need three bikes and I am running out of cool guitars to sell to raise bike money! :biglaugh:

I really just want to get this V-Max squared away and try to figure out if both bikes are keepers. The RZ is probably the most fun I have ever had on a bike. It is such a hooligan machine...but the Max is a nice comfy rocket propelled tank. I really love them both!

Mike

:rofl_200::rofl_200:
You guys are nuts!!!

My step father had one of those Kawi 2-stroke triple bikes back in the early 80's and I would ride that screaming sucker every chance I could while he was at work. Crappy fuel mileage, chainsaw sounding engine, vibration from hell, greasy tailpipe tips and a clangy chassis that rode as bad as the bike sounded- but *MAN* could that thing flat-out fly!!! :punk:

Ugly duckling "that could"!

By the way- my '95 is for sale for anyone that wants it. $4000 takes her. The dealer is going to give me that for my machine as trade, but I'd rather see it go to a VMax dude from around here if they want it. ;)

john

I've ridden both the VRod and the Street Rod (no Sreaming Eagle though), and if I were going to get one it would definitely be the Street Rod. The riding position was much more comfortable with my feet under me rather than in front of me. Additionally the street rod uses a completely different frame set-up that allows for some fairly sporting lean angles where the VRod begins dragging shiny (expensive) parts fairly quickly. I was most surprised by how much this motor needs to revved. It's been a while, but I remember you needed to carry quite a few RPM's to get these sleds moving, quite a change for a Harley motor. The motor really is a gem, but it's unfortunate that it needs to haul around so much pork. In the name of style, nearly everything weighs more than it should. The wheels are particular offenders. If not for the price point I would have considered one more seriously, but for now am quite happy with my VMax.

Back