Head gasket leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad-V-Maxr

Reaction score
My 86 Vmax just clicked over 40k and coolant level in manifold keeps dropping filling overflow tank. With bike running air bubbles in coolant, oily film too. Bike has been have cooling issues the whole time ive owned it. compression checked it after warming it up, 165-170 all cylinders. kinda bummed out, got a big ride planned labor day weekend. Think I may end up with another bike.:bang head: Was just down on 555 south of zanesville last week end wow what a nice road.

I would do a leak down test to be sure. It could be a bad oil and/or mechanical seal in the water pump housing.

Could be that but if the coolant tank fills up and or overflows when you get on it more then half throttle then the gasket is toast. You can likely ride it lightly until you are ready for the pulldown if that's the issue. We have better parts to make the repair with then stock.

That sucks. Hope you get it figured out. Triple Nickle (555) is an awesome road to ride on!
My 86 Vmax just clicked over 40k and coolant level in manifold keeps dropping filling overflow tank. With bike running air bubbles in coolant, oily film too. Bike has been have cooling issues the whole time ive owned it. compression checked it after warming it up, 165-170 all cylinders. kinda bummed out, got a big ride planned labor day weekend. Think I may end up with another bike.:bang head: Was just down on 555 south of zanesville last week end wow what a nice road.

Went bike shopping last week and got a 05 fjr1300 i am really impressed with it. Had a very nice 5 day vac. rode the twistys in southern ohio, got some much needed seat time to clear my head lol. Gonna have to tear down vmax this winter, dont have the time or place to work on it right now.

Back