Headlight wiring help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The green powers the low beam and yellow is high beam. The black wire is the ground for both low and high beam. I don't know why the maker of that maxlight kit put that 2-prong connector on their instead of the standard 3-prong on both sides.

First, remove the 3-prong harness connector. Plug the green wire from the harness and hook it to the low beam prong on 2-prong maxlight connector. Plug the yellow harness wire to the other prong on kit.

Since you're using non H4 bulbs you need to remove the wires from the 3 prong connector that goes to the stock headlight. Now, plug the green wire into one of the low beam light prongs. Plug the yellow wire into one of the prongs of you hi beam light bulb. The other prong on each bulb needs a black wire that goes to ground. Connect a black wire from the low beam grounding prong to the black harness wire. Take another black wire and tap it into the low beam ground or run it to a frame/engine ground.

Make sure you insulate each connection to prevent any shorts.

Some headlight relay kits automatically turn both low/high beam on at the same time...it depends how they wired the relays. Most likey not though. You probably could do it with the two relays in your maxlight kit but might be easier using a 3rd relay.

Mark

When you switch to high beam on a stock set up does the low beam also stay on or does it switch off?
If it switches off is there a way to run both high and low at the same time or is this too much drain on the system?

It switches it off when switching to high. This is to keep wattage down and also the heat from within headlight shell.

As long as your charging system is up to snuff you should be okay. Best way to see is try it and start the bike. Check voltage across battery terminals and make sure it's above 13.25 volts.

Just checked with an Aprilia dealer and they say it also only has one or the other bulb on so i guess I'll keep it that way..I do seem to have hot starting issues so i don't want to exacerbate the problem

OK got it up and working..just have to adjust beam height (is there a ref for this) and attach turn sigs . Seems OK without the Max light kit

Motorcycle Headlight Aiming

Getting a correctly aimed headlight is straightforward. You need to make a couple of measurements and then aim the light at a flat wall, as follows:

With the bike on its wheels and you astride, have a helper measure the distance from the floor to the center of the headlight lens.

Pick a flat wall where you can locate the bike so the headlight is 17 feet from the wall. Place a horizontal mark on the wall two (2) inches lower than the height of the center of the headlight.

The headlight beam (on low beam) should be relatively flat on the top, and may rise rather sharply at the right edge. Adjust the headlight vertically so that the flat top of the beam is just up to that line (marked two inches down at 17 feet).

Horizontal adjustment should center the beam ahead of the line of the bike.

my haynes manual one is pretty simple as well..

basically place bike 3.8m from a wall and put a point that is directly across from the centre of the headlight. then make sure the brightest point is in the lower-right quadrant of the point

My way of aiming the headlight is to go for a ride at night and see if the headlight lights up the road in front of the bike so that at 80 kmh/50 mph it gives me enough time to avoid a hazard/branch,rock,pothole.And that is on low beam.On high beam I like it to light up as much of the road and as far in front of the bike as I can make it without looking for koalas in the trees.I do a lot of headlight aiming at work using an endorsed headlight aimer and it basically lights up the road but is useless for actually seeing anything before you hit it.Just my 5 cents worth ,we don't have 1 &2 cent pieces anymore .Cheers Kevman

Kev

i was going to do a similar practical test to set it up although the other ones give me a starting point. I think i'm limited by the shape of the light..at the lowest angle it still is about even in the wall test at 17 ft.

Lights done..gauges next..still need to test ride to check visability

Attachments

• no light.jpg
    no light.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 19
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back