HELP. High Idle After Carb Overhaul

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
robot-chicken-stupid-monkey-Stoop_d_Monkey_Technical_Difficulties.sized_cherid.com_-150x150.jpg

So I overhauled my 04's carbs and plopped them back in. I started it up and it started idling like normal. after a couple of minutes, I blipped the throttle and it seemed like it got stuck at 3K. and now everytime i start it up it idles at 3K.

I turned the idle knob to the point that it's about to fall out but it won't react, however at one point it'll start idling higher when I turn it in. I thought that the throttle cable was too tight, but loosening it doesn't help. What is weird is if i force the throttle up past the natural idle seating, the idle sounds like it is decreasing.

I have the A/F mix screws turned 2-1/2 times out on each carb just like i found them prior to the overhaul. should i turn them in? (someone said that stock 1, 3, and 4 are 1-3/4 and 2 is 2-1/2)

i haven't synched the carbs yet 'cause i was gonna make sure everything worked right and let the bike warm up a bit beforehand as directed by others. could this have something to do with it? i pulled the slides back on each carb and twisted the throttle. I can't be sure but it looks like #3 and #4 butterflies are slightly off. Could this account for the bike idling at 3K?

Please help.

I'm thinking your linkage might be binding up, more than likely if this is the case it will be in the junction under the left scoop. Thats where it happens to me the most,:bang head: when I pull my carbs.

thanks kj for offering help. but i think i got it under control. the service manual said that an improperly set idle screw, a bad synch, or a stuck choke valve are the likely culprits to a fast idle. didn't think it was the idle screw being set too high 'cause the idle doesn't react to a turn out. the chokes seemed to work properly when i checked them during the overhaul and the choke linkage looked like it was pushing and pulling the choke valves ok. so since one must always resynch the carbs after pulling them off, i hoped that this was the likely cause. i glazed over the service manuals to get the jist and ended up turning out the 2/4 synch screw which brought it back to earth. i turned it out until throttle blips dropped reasonably from mid-rpms to 1k. it was weird at first to see the rpms slowly decrease from 3k to 1k (and i mean "watching paint dry" slow), but as i slowly turned out the synch screw and blipped and turned out and blipped, i slowly started understanding the whole synchronization thingy better...sorta. now that that's under control, i can properly synch it up with my monkey's new toy. bwahahahah. stupid monkey. shh, don't tell the mrs.

Latest posts

Back