Help Me Get Up to Speed On My New Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3BadBirds

Reaction score
After shopping around for a few years, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first Vmax this past weekend. Its a 92 that looks to be in great shape. Now that I finally have my bike, I want to learn more about its mechanics - I like to do my own wrenching. I'm use to using a model / year specific service manual so I looked online to try and find one. What I'm seeing, however, are manuals on CDs that seem to cover a range of years. Are these any good? Anything else (besides this forum) that you would recommend to help me get up to speed on my new ride?

Cheers!

After shopping around for a few years, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first Vmax this past weekend. Its a 92 that looks to be in great shape. Now that I finally have my bike, I want to learn more about its mechanics - I like to do my own wrenching. I'm use to using a model / year specific service manual so I looked online to try and find one. What I'm seeing, however, are manuals on CDs that seem to cover a range of years. Are these any good? Anything else (besides this forum) that you would recommend to help me get up to speed on my new ride?

Cheers!

Welcome
Well here's a good start! The VMOA is another one although I am unsure its really needed anymore but its a great place to meet people. If you go to the vmf links (see my sig) you'll find an online service manual as well as. Many more great links.

Welcome to the forum! :cheers: If you love doing your own wrenching, then you will soon love pulling off and cleaning carbs! LOL... :smileystooges:

Get Yourself A Shop Manual Right From Yamaha !!!!! To Me They Are The Best ! Great Info & Trouble Shooting !! Just Like Joining This V-max Forum !! If You Can't Find The Info Hear AT THIS FORUM It Does Not Exist!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your well wishes!

I'm hoping to get at least a season out of my new toy before I have to do anything serious. I looked her over pretty good and only found a slight oil leak from the valve cover. I'm thinking I may just have to tighten a few bolts to fix this. Hopefully all the things I heard about the drivetrain being bullet proof are true. And since when are cleaning carbs difficult? Isn't that what Seafoam is for?! :biglaugh:

Cheers!

Welcome to the Forum.
To bad I still dont live in NJ. I could put you to work wrenching on my VMAX. I am on my 4th motor in 5 years!
Drivetrain is pretty strong if you keep it under 160HP and dont do hard launches at the dragstrip with an 8IN Car tire. :-D
Leaking valve cover... I heard about these going bad and someone mentioned they arent holding up as well as they used to. I dont know I never had a valve cover leak.
Its a cake walk to do when the engine is out of the bike. It takes some patiences to do while in the bike. The rear takes longer but its not that difficult.
I use Permatx High Tack spray to hold the new gasket in the valve cover when putting it back together.

Welcome and ask questions you will learn here on this site.
Yankee
:cheers:

With a little poking around you can find the service manuals on pdf. I picked up the Haynes manual and prefer that as it breaks some things down for a simpleton like me. When I tore apart my carbs I was trying to split them when they were on the bike because the sm didn't think it necessary to mention the step about removing them. Between the two of them you can figure out most things.

Welcome:

Just remember torque setting are listed for a reason. It make good sense to use them. Haven't had to get too deep yet myself. I hope you like the bike as much as we all do. There are many really good wrenchers here for advice. They talk about stuff I have no idea of....but it's nice to have friends who do !

Back