High Speed Weave

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the old days, the normal way to reduce weave was to lean forward and put as much weight on the front tire as possible. As bikes got faster and heavier, that was no longer the cure-all. It often helps but is not a fix.

On my 95 I put superbike bars on the bike which shifted my weight up and toward the back. On a trip to Big Bend with 2 other Maxes, I had a large tailbag with a waterproof liner that I had ice and all the "drinks" in. Very heavy. The contents could shift around as ice and water from melt are prone to do. Also a set of fabric saddlebags. At 95 mph I started getting a weave that leaning forward did not help. On fast sweepers, the weave started at about 65 mph. The next trip, no heavy tailbag, just the same saddlebags. The weave didn't start till about 115 mph. The next trip I went back to the stock handlebars and had new tires (Dunlop 591's, no longer available in the stock Max size). These replaced the original OEM tires that came on the bike new. The weave was no longer there at up to 125 mph. (Fastest I went). On all the trips, I had the Yamaha Mini windshield installed. All else was stock. This seems to indicate weight distribution is a factor in high speed handling. Don't know if the tire change helped or was just the handlebar change.

This is just my experience. Not intended to be the gospel..:biglaugh:

I put a new Stinko OEM SIZE on the rear of my 85 last summer. To & from work for the most part, and the head bearings don't have very many miles on their change-out and careful adjustment. Bike has been tracking perfectly up to at least 135 mph indicated - until very recently. I've been noticing some slight propensity towards a weave for a couple weeks or more lately as I leave work & get on my 2 mile long hwy straight-a-way. Letting go of the handlebars is a bad thing too, at any speed. So, last Thursday I put it on the center stand in my driveway after work, started the bike and shifted it into 3rd gear. Man o man, can you see the side to side runout/wobble in that tire. It literally shakes the bike just idling in 3rd gear on the stand. I checked my records and found I've gotten only 600 miles on that rear tire, and the tread still looks new. Bead is still seated normally, as far as the eye can tell, and the wheel is perfectly true. Darn Stinko has developed a bad cord or something. But since the 85 is primarily used to and from work...........prolly just ride it out. But that not only was the 1st time ever to put on a Stinko (vs all these years with the OEM Dunlop), it will most definitely be the last Stinko I ever put on Max.

I reduce weave by letting up on the throttle, all the while hanging on for dear life each time I've ever been faced with severe high-speed slappers. I never had time to think about seating position or body posture when it occurred. But this video may come to mind if/when it ever happens again.

Back