Hiway pegs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of people ask me about these that have factory engine gaurds & I have all kinds of clamp on pegs that I can order but it is really simple to have fold up pegs on the end of your factory gaurds. Just get on Ebay & find some factory rear foot pegs with the mounts they can usually be found reasonable. Center tap the end of your engine guard & drill & tap a hole in it for the thread put a jam nut on it so they will be adjustable & screw it in really simple & can be taken off if you do not like & just put a plug in the hole you tapped. I will post step by step pics if any one needs but its pretty self explanatory. first pic shows the hole tapped the 2nd shos the whole assembly & the 3rd shows the jam nut a little closer.

Attachments

• CAM00513.jpg
    CAM00513.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CAM00514.jpg
    CAM00514.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 54
  • CAM00515.jpg
    CAM00515.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 54
Bolt on is one way. We like to weld them on our conversions (which gets more cornering clearance) but it locks them into one angle unlike Kyles way of doing it.

Every clamp-on I have tried over the years rotates when weight is put on them. You can tighten as tight as possible but will still rotate and scar up your guards or whatever you clamp them to.

On my 95, I drilled holes in the OEM guards on the side rail and bolted a set of folding pegs on. The pegs folded up against the rail and were not as noticeable. Also not as high as the ones threaded in the top rail as pictured above. Never had a problem and were good at notifying me when cornering a little too aggressively. Kinda like curb feelers. :biglaugh: Now if not folded up they did limit cornering but only put down on the highway when cruising and needed to change my leg position. On my current Max, just added some of those little square bolt-on pads. Much easier but not as functional.

I don't think these will turn with the way they bolt on with the jam nut & a little lock tite just to be sure. I don't plan on doing these some one done this set probably 15 + years ago.

I just put it up here for more of a how to for people. A lot of people ask me about hiway pegs & these can be found usually relatively cheap if you look & most people can do this there self pretty quick.

With the jamb nut it should hold. I need to clarify that when I said turn I meant you could adjust the angle of the peg and lock them into place. Our welded versions do not allow that adjustment (though they do let you get more ground clearance when aggressive riding and pegs folded up).

I don't think these will turn with the way they bolt on with the jam nut & a little lock tite just to be sure. I don't plan on doing these some one done this set probably 15 + years ago.

I just put it up here for more of a how to for people. A lot of people ask me about hiway pegs & these can be found usually relatively cheap if you look & most people can do this there self pretty quick.

Yours are not clamp on and obviously wouldn't turn/rotate. In my opinion there are only three decent ways to do highway pegs. The two I mentioned and yours. There are no problems I can foresee with any of those methods. The little square pads are the easiest and cheapest but the least functional. They do not hinder aggressive cornering though. The two requiring mods to the guards are just a matter of preference. Where do you want your feet to be? I like the lower version but that is just personal preference.

Back