Honda XR650L

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Honda XR650L Dual sport

I rode one of these yesterday for about 50 miles, on highway at 75-80 and on some dirt and grass trails also, got pretty aggressive with it through some twisties on pavement also...

My friends got a pair of them that have both been souped up pretty well

I haven't had this much fun on a bike in a long time...thing is for sure a wheelie monster......and I had no idea one of these handled as well through the corners on pavement as they do.......

The seating position feels like I'm riding a high chair (33inches seat hieght) compared to my bike...

Anyway, I've been talking supermoto (DRZ400SM) to this guy and he just wanted me to get a taste of what a dual sport is like since it's also pretty capable off road as well, I haven't been on anything but a street bike since high school so don't really have a frame of reference for these type of bikes but this one was a blast.......

Me likey and want a dual-Sport now, want to take it down to Big Bend National Park....:biglaugh:

You are so right about big dual purpose bikes,,, really craving one here,,, have had several..NOTHING rides as good on the street as a dirt bike! If that DRZ had bigger wheels so it would be a bit more trail worthy,,that would be the one..hard to find big 17 inch knobbies!

You are so right about big dual purpose bikes,,, really craving one here,,, have had several..NOTHING rides as good on the street as a dirt bike! If that DRZ had bigger wheels so it would be a bit more trail worthy,,that would be the one..hard to find big 17 inch knobbies!

I have a DRZ400 and you are better off getting the S or E model rather than the SM (supermoto) version and then getting street rims for it. The S and E have a better off road suspension on it and come with the proper rims for off road tires.

I have (and ride) an '82 Honda XL500r. Rebuilt the top-end several years ago, so it runs quite well. Have also ridden the 650s. Yes, they feel nimble and capable, and yes, they are wheelie monsters. The 650 I just rode a day ago didn't even have as much get up as my 500. You can gear them any way you like. I have 14/42 sprockets on my 500 and I can stand it up in 1st with throttle only and 2nd if I jerk it up. Find a gentle upslope hill and wheelie.... so much fun. With an aftermarket pipe, better jetting, and maybe 14/43 on my bike, 2nd would be throttle only.

As it is, I can pull hills 2 up easily. The 650 is heavier and taller. When you lose your balance in the hills, it tips very easily. I can tip the 500, touch the handlebar to the ground, and pull it back up, all without getting off the bike. Can't do that with the 650.

I'd definitely own a 650 though if I could get one cheap. Then I'd gear lower. They say the 650s are too long between 1st and 2nd. My 500 is just right.

It seems I am opposite from you guys. I have always been a dual sport rider and just got a vmax. I had a Honda XR650L, fully modded and it was fun, but it was way too heavy offroad, in anything but the easiest of goings. Of course, the 6 gallon tank I had on it probably didnt help in that regards. I now have a dual sported XR400 and all I can say is wow. It weighs around 260lbs, will go 90mph and kicks ass offroad. I have found my ideal street legal dirtbike. Now, I just have to get my Max running.....

LOL! I've had a Kawasaki KLR 650, a Yamaha XTZ 750, an Aprilia 650 Pegaso and always dreamed of owning a Cagiva E900 Elephant or a BMW 1250 GS.

But now I have a V-Max, I love it but just wish it didn't wobble so bad at speed!

It seems I am opposite from you guys. I have always been a dual sport rider and just got a vmax. I had a Honda XR650L, fully modded and it was fun, but it was way too heavy offroad, in anything but the easiest of goings. Of course, the 6 gallon tank I had on it probably didnt help in that regards. I now have a dual sported XR400 and all I can say is wow. It weighs around 260lbs, will go 90mph and kicks ass offroad. I have found my ideal street legal dirtbike. Now, I just have to get my Max running.....

True,

I posted somewhere about a test ride I got this week out in Ca. on a Husky TE610,

It weighs about 250 and goes like stink, the perfect bike I think..........

Back