Hot restart problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44 magnum

Reaction score
Hey there y'all,

I've been working with Mark on my bike's annoying hot restart problem but thought I'd bring the rest of you in the loop. I'll try to be concise and to the point but also give you some history that may be useful in your feedback.

I bought the bike in May-(ish) with 8800 miles on it. It now has 12.4K on it. It's my daily driver. Rain or shine, I'm on it to/from work. The only mods I'm aware of would be the Cobras, a K/N filter and the t-switch. The carbs were re-built/re-sync'd by the previous owner before I took delivery and save the restart troubles, this thing runs f'ing great. Pulls the front wheel off the ground up through 3rd gear, gets 40 mpg's if I let it, passed the needle test (Mark's sticky in this section) and again, I have no complaints about its performance.

Mark asked me to check the plugs yesterday so here are the pics of all four. The fifth shot is from the right front cylinder and I'm asking you guys WTF is that. Please. :)

Before you beat me up, those Autolite's were in there from the time I bought it so keep that in mind. I only ran NGK's in my Ninja but for whatever reason, Cat Daddy Smalls decided to put the Autolites in it. I can't imagine Yamaha putting them in there from the factory. ?? At any rate, would a set of NGK's be in order for Max? If not, please suggest your favorite performers as an alternative.

The plugs obviously look like it's running rich; probably due to the Cobras from what y'all have said about those slip-ons. If I'm going to have to replace mains/needles/etc, I'll probably just leave it as-is. I just don't have a lot of time to monkey with it and I'd rather try to find a set of stock cans to put back on him if I could.

One thing I think I'll try is adjusting the A/F mixture screws to see if that addresses anything. At the end of the day, if nothing improves, it's not the end of the world. I love the way it runs and I'll just live with the hot restart problem.

So to recap, please suggest your fav plugs and educate the Dumb Kid on that one picture too please.

Thanks and have a good one guys (and girl). :biglaugh:

Attachments

• Right rear.JPG
    Right rear.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Right front.JPG
    Right front.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Mystery thing behind right front plug.JPG
    Mystery thing behind right front plug.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 19
  • Left rear.JPG
    Left rear.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Left front.JPG
    Left front.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
44, get NGK DPR8EA-9. That's the plug and works well. That 5th picture definitely shows the fuel fouling! I would turn your mixture screws in and see if that helps. It may roughen the idle so just re-sync and up your idle to above 1000 rpms.

Mark

Last edited:
44, get NGK DPR83A-9. That's the plug and workds well. That 5th picture definitely shows the fuel fouling! I would turn your mixture screws in and see if that helps. It may roughen the idle so just re-sync and up your idle to above 1000 rpms.

Mark

Will do Mark and I'll let you know if anything changes. Thanks for the info!

Sorry about the picture names being AFU. I just realized that. I may modify them later but I need to get to the gym before it rains on me! AAAAH!! LOL!!!

Ooops, I fat fingered the spark plug part number. I fixed my post!

Mark

Not trying to be pushy, but I'd still like an education on that "mystery" portion behind the right front plug (there's one on the left rear too I think).

Thanks y'all.

That's a water jacket...where the coolant from the lines enter the engine.

Mark

Take it easy on the Dumb Kid now. :)

dumb

lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted. 2.lacking the power of speech (often offensive when applied to humans): a dumb animal. 3.temporarily unable to speak: dumb with astonishment. 4.refraining from any or much speech; silent. 5.made, done, etc., without speech. 6.lacking some usual property, characteristic, etc.

ig?no?rant
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈɪg
thinsp.png
nər
thinsp.png
ənt
/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ig-ner-uh
thinsp.png
nt
]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?adjective 1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man. 2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. 3.uninformed; unaware. 4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

I think ignorant is better... :whistlin: :clapping:

dumb

lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted. 2.lacking the power of speech (often offensive when applied to humans): a dumb animal. 3.temporarily unable to speak: dumb with astonishment. 4.refraining from any or much speech; silent. 5.made, done, etc., without speech. 6.lacking some usual property, characteristic, etc.

ig?no?rant
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈɪg
thinsp.png
nər
thinsp.png
ənt
/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ig-ner-uh
thinsp.png
nt
]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?adjective 1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man. 2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. 3.uninformed; unaware. 4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

I think ignorant is better... :whistlin: :clapping:

Thank you.

I think.

:)

44, at least your wheels work correctly.

lol

Mark

Hey 44,

If you're interested, I had been talking with rabbidcow55 and he wants to trade his stock mufflers for some cobras. PM him if you're interested.

Hey 44,

If you're interested, I had been talking with rabbidcow55 and he wants to trade his stock mufflers for some cobras. PM him if you're interested.

Will do beast and thanks for the heads-up!

44, at least your wheels work correctly.

lol

Mark

No kidding, my gosh! LOL!!!

Now this is more like it guys. Just got the NGK's put in and I mean DAMN. Very nice.

Hey Mark I went ahead and took a 1/4 turn out of the a/f mixture screws and ran it up and down the road. Did as much of the needle test that I could remember; it felt/sounded great. I wanted to go a little further though to see what would happen, so I took another 1/8 turn out, ran it again through the tests and again, very happy with him. (That brings the total a/f mixture screw setting to roughly 1-5/8 turns now.)

I'll run it for a few days to see if I need to make further adjustments. At 60 miles a day it won't take long for me to form a final opinion. If anything life-altering is noted, I'll post up. Otherwise I think you have it under control now, so many, MANY thanks.

Oh and yeah, hot restart? Not an issue any more (as if you didn't know that would be the case!)

:cheers:

Do I hear a bit of jealosy in that post...:whistlin:

lol I should have them Monday... I know it won't work right though..:bang head::stickyman:

:clapping:

Back