How hard can you/push the Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.T.Stone

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first road bike and second season of riding and was wondering what is considered to be hard on the Vmax, I mean riding wise not like driving without oil etc :)
Can I ride it in the vboost range for extended periods of time, accelerate hard often, sometimes i like to downshift from 3rd to 2nd(never hitting the redline of course) when i'm passing or feel the need for speed but man its such a jolt of acceleration it just feels hard on the bike. Can i cruise in town in a high gear with low rpms for a long period of time?

I want to have fun with the Max but I want it to last me for a little while yet too :biglaugh:

Last edited:
I have ridden mine, pretty damn hard on several occasions. I've already snapped a couple of driveshafts (I'm staying with the smaller, stock driveshafts, cause I'd rather snap one of them vs. tweak a transmission). The main thing is to watch the over-rev, and let it warm up before you really get on it. This way your O-ring has a better chance of not popping. Also, if your into speed shifting, use the clutch for your first upshift (1st to second), then you can speed shift for the rest.

You have a 98, may want to upgrade the O-Ring and not have to concern yourself. The VMax is a strong motorcycle given that proper maintenance is performed. Shift light and rev limiter would be good to have. I'd stay away from power shifting, especially 1st to 2nd... Get an Oil Pressure Ga. too... Then you can see the pressure come down when the bike is warmed up...

Good Luck,,,,

"Can I ride it in the vboost range for extended periods of time," Unless you're on a long straight interstate, there's rarely enough road to use vboost for extended periods of time. ;^)

"Can I ride it in the vboost range for extended periods of time," Unless you're on a long straight interstate, there's rarely enough road to use vboost for extended periods of time. ;^)

I do a bit of interstate riding to go see my brothers so 3rd gear would be in vboost range I think.

I have ridden mine, pretty damn hard on several occasions. I've already snapped a couple of driveshafts (I'm staying with the smaller, stock driveshafts, cause I'd rather snap one of them vs. tweak a transmission). The main thing is to watch the over-rev, and let it warm up before you really get on it. This way your O-ring has a better chance of not popping. Also, if your into speed shifting, use the clutch for your first upshift (1st to second), then you can speed shift for the rest.

Broken shafts? How did you manage that?
I know I'm new here but I'm gonna have to call the Vmax abuse Hotline on you.. Whats the number again? don't worry I'll use the search function:rofl_200:

i would think the guys with T-Boost would be running with Vboost open nearly all the time. so i assume its ok?

Broken shafts? How did you manage that?
I know I'm new here but I'm gonna have to call the Vmax abuse Hotline on you.. Whats the number again? don't worry I'll use the search function:rofl_200:

1st drive shaft was snapped while bringing the front end up, the 2nd was broken during a hard launch (sometimes VHT is not your friend). Shaft #3 is still working fine :eusa_dance:

Don't rev over 9500 too often
Keep the oil clean
Let it warm up a couple minutes and take it easy the first few miles till the engine gets up to temp
Use the clutch on the 1-2, shift firmly and positively always.

Other than that, beat the shit out of the bike. It should last a good long while if you take a few percautions.

Back