How hot is hot for voltage regulator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazza9441

Reaction score
A freind of mine has my old Vmax 1988 vintage and had the old regulator pop . He got a replacment but the new one gets hot very quickly ? 4 mins after starting it gets hot almost too hot to touch? any body got any thoughts or sugestions. We tested the stator and voltages and all comes into spec . It charges OK and I even put anothr battery on but no different. I never felt the old one so can't judge it. I am going to try and increse the cooling by puting a heat spreader on the back of it and some heat transfer paste to see if that helps but we are not convinced we understand the problem and maybe just treating the sysptoms and not the cause. Thanks for reading and any replies are greatfully received.

Bazza

AFAIK that is the way the R/R gets rid of the xtra energy - by dissipating it as heat! Pretty sure it's normal, have you compared with your Max?

Yes he did check it with a much newer one but that was after a few miles ride he said it was warm but too hot. I may suggest he takes a ride and see how it is then .

Bazza

Back