How to modify a Stebel Horn for easier fitment to a vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazwell

Reaction score
You can separate the compressor from the air horn easily. Makes fitment easier.

There are 2 retaining points.
1.jpg

Then it comes apart.
2.jpg

I'm sure you can see what needs doing.
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

:punk:

Definitely a useful mod, where did you end up putting everything on the bike? A real horn is definitely on my lists of things to do, I don't think I can hear the little factory "meep meep" over my exhaust when idling...

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28310

Another thread about the Stebel copy available cheap at Harbor Freight. My post shows what I did to mount it. Since-painted the mounting bracket, same color as engine.

You could use much-smaller stock, I used what I had on-hand, which cost me $0.00 in extra parts; the best mod!

Here's another Stebel for you lads under the Equator & Japan:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stebel-BRIO...CI%2BUA%2BFICS&otn=21&pmod=120932947865&ps=54
$T2eC16VHJG!E9nm3p4LtBRRD4ToFGw~~60_1.JPG

12 Volt NAUTILUS BRIO "LA DOLCE VITA" RED AIR HORN

SWITCHABLE HARMONISED or ALTERNATING SOUNDS

POWERFUL - PRACTICAL - VERY COMPACT - RELIABLE - SINGLE FIXING POINT
12volt - 18 amp - 117dB @ 2m from horn
DIMENSIONS- 175 x 166 x 93mm Weight - 1.1kg
MAIN USE: CARS, MOTORCYCLES, TRUCKS, BUSES, PICKUPS, 4X4
Please check you road rules as alternating horns are illegal on road registered vehicles in many areas.

Supplied with 12 volt relay & switch for alternating or straight blast sounds.

Other Hardware Required for installation:
20amp Wire, Fuse Holder, Terminals
Product Type: Horn

Brand: Stebel
Reference: ZPN-01385

Attachments

• Hlight.9 horn.JPG
    Hlight.9 horn.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 79
My bike is still at the shop. WA=Wait Awhile
I think I'll try and mount the compressor where the coil packs were, and devise a clever method of clamping the horn to the frame. I have to add a hose tail to the horn as well.
I thought the Harbor Freight one looked identical, so it might be the same to pull apart.

My bike is still at the shop. WA=Wait Awhile
I think I'll try and mount the compressor where the coil packs were, and devise a clever method of clamping the horn to the frame. I have to add a hose tail to the horn as well.
I thought the Harbor Freight one looked identical, so it might be the same to pull apart.

Baz, think about the area below the lower tree, for your horn location. Maybe not enough room for an air horn, but plenty for the stock one.
I was going to go the single air horn route, but decided to re-mount the original, to go along with the two Framm Freeway Blasters mounted in the scoop extensions. I now have three frequencies.... low, high, and...beep beep!
Sounds very much like a freight train!

Attachments

• P1010918.jpg
    P1010918.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 103
  • P1010919.jpg
    P1010919.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 99
  • P1010920.jpg
    P1010920.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 118
Miles, you have a definite "Steam-punk" style goin'-on there! That nose for the side scoop looks like something from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Ya, FM, I'm starting to catch on about what the "steam punk" look is all about....
Heavy, industrial, turn of the 19th century, (think British Industrial Revolution), and very much function over form......Am I right???
Yup...Steam punk. That's where I is!
Cheers!

Back