• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I feel the need for Maximization...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does a stock gen 1 Vmax have a single air filter? This guy says he can't remember if there are 2 or four air filters on his 2000, but he's sure there's not just a single filter. I'm wondering with that Supertrapp system, if there's a jet kit installed too.

stock airbox uses 1 filter. installing stage 7 kit requires 4 individual pods. highly unlikely that it'd have 2.

OK. Then I'll assume it's got a kit. Can I see this by opening the hood/tank/whatever it is?

yes, you'll be able to see the airbox or the 4 individual pod filters, whichever. another tell-tale sign of a stage 7 kit is the puke hose going to the oil fill tank. it'll go from a puke can that is nestled in between the rear pod filters and looks similar to the one with the red connector in this pic
picture.php

So the guy with the 99 contacted me. Waiting on the g/f to get home, then I hope to go see it. Asked him about the Stage 7 kit. He said it has a single K&N filter. Forgot to ask about the puke hose going to the oil tank. He said he's seen 4 single filters, but that this tends to cause problems with carb syncing. Anyway, what I care most about is that it runs right and looks good. He says it has no corrosion anywhere. We'll see.

He says his reserve is set at 4450. If I got the 2000, I would have to spend 300 for backrest, I figure 250 for tire installed, and what... 75 for brake pad? That would put me at 4525. The 99 supposedly has zero corrosion and all. He said the shocks are Ohlin? Something like that. Expensive. Leaning toward the 99 at this point. The plot thickens.

damn! ohlin piggy backs. that alone is a deal maker. WOW. yes EX PEN SIVE. the guy had carb probs with 4 single filters b/c he doesn't know that doing something like that requires air correctors (which come with the S7 or Morley Jet kits). The bike doesn't sound like it has S7.

damn! ohlin piggy backs. that alone is a deal maker. WOW. yes EX PEN SIVE. the guy had carb probs with 4 single filters b/c he doesn't know that doing something like that requires air correctors (which come with the S7 or Morley Jet kits). The bike doesn't sound like it has S7.

I guess I can worry about the carb situation at some point later. If I can have the bike for not much more than 4k, and it's acceptable cosmetically, I'll buy it. The bad news is that I'm going to see it shortly and it's RAINING. :bang head:

Im kindof sketchy on this bike now... just about the stage 7 and the single filter... also if u look at the pictures of the "olhins" shocks the writing matches up to these ebay china poop shocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-5-Pair-A...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c10e22e6&vxp=mtr

If he doesn't have proof on either of these as in receipts don't believe him.. and walk away because who knows what else he is hiding

From my own personal experience,when was the last time you went and looked at a bike or vehicle and it was as nice as the seller described? Doesn,t happen that often.

Looks to me like you are getting in to much of a hurry and that can turn out badly. From my experences you would be better off buying a total stocker thand listening to some of these clowns that does not know what a stage 7 kit is or some of the other mods. Just my opinion!

Soooo... I'm back from looking at the 99. Ain't gonna buy that one. The shocks are the Chinese knock-off crap. The jet kit couldn't have been done right. Pipes drilled. The factory airbox is in the bike, with some duct tape on top of it to "help direct the air". I guess he removed some portion of it to make it "breath better" The "snorkle"? and modded it with duct tape. Nice tires. 17 inch rear wheel. Little bit of rust in the filler neck. Not bad cosmetically, but quite not as good as the 2000.

Back to the 2000. Going to look at it closer tomorrow.

I uploaded 3 pictures to my album "turd". Airbox, Chinese shocks, drilled pipes.

Looks to me like you are getting in to much of a hurry and that can turn out badly. From my experences you would be better off buying a total stocker thand listening to some of these clowns that does not know what a stage 7 kit is or some of the other mods. Just my opinion!

I'm not in such a hurry that I'm going to wind up with a turd... I hope! :rofl_200:

I'll look over the 2000 for $3,900 in much more detail than I did the first time... and in daylight. At least this guy with the 2000 model is willing to shrug and tell me he doesn't know when I ask him about jetting and such. I much prefer that over someone telling me things that don't really add up, pretending to be an authority as I look over his duct tape mods. The guy with the 2000 said that the bike won't run right on octane higher than 87. Does that seem normal?

I'm not in such a hurry that I'm going to wind up with a turd... I hope! :rofl_200:

I'll look over the 2000 for $3,900 in much more detail than I did the first time... and in daylight. At least this guy with the 2000 model is willing to shrug and tell me he doesn't know when I ask him about jetting and such. I much prefer that over someone telling me things that don't really add up, pretending to be an authority as I look over his duct tape mods. The guy with the 2000 said that the bike won't run right on octane higher than 87. Does that seem normal?

wtf, duct tape? are you effin kidding me? the shocks--how does that saying go? to good to be .... yep run away and run away fast from that 99. i'm not surprised someone would claim that it doesn't run well on > 87 octane. not that it has any merit. it should run well on any octane, the question is should you fill it with anything > 87. now let's drop the octane talk before it gets out of hand . hahahahaha. there's a whole thread or threads devoted to subject. i wouldn't let his claim allow you to think that there is something wrong.

hope you find more luck with the 2000

You do understand it's the guy with the 2000 who said his bike doesn't run well on higher than 87 octane, not the guy with the duct-taped 99. He said it "pops" or something. What does that mean to me? Well, I don't know. If it *should* run well on any octane, and it doesn't, there's a reason. It seems to start, idle and rev as expected. I'm planning to investigate the airbox today, and give it a more detailed inspection, take some pictures, and ride the thing. With the bike in need of a rear tire and brakes, and assuming it seems a little better than average cosmetically with 26k miles, (looks better than the 99 or the one in Granger... forget what year it is... 01 or something) would you think it's a good deal at $3900? The four into two Supertrapp exhaust sounds grrreat.

How many screws have to come out in order to open the air box?

Putting off the 2000 until I can look at this one near Indianapolis this evening.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2933357906.html

17k miles, S7 (with individual filters and puke hose to oil tank), good tires and brakes, backrest. If it's clean and not corroded, I'll hand him 5k this evening.

And... (drum roll....) chromed scoops.

Count out $ 3,500 and see if he bites.

He was pretty clear in email.

"I really am looking to trade for a muscle car that was listed. But if you have $5000 cash like stated in the ad, I will sell it for that an no less period."

I'm all about getting it for less, but his statement there, and the fact that he wants to trade rather than sell doesn't paint a picture of someone who is need of cash. I'll check it out. If it's not another turd it might be worth what he wants.

Back