I knew I had a screw loose

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nd4topspd

Reaction score
ok I have been riding my bike for 3 years thinking that a carb tune is coming very soon. I've had a problem under full throttle from 6000 where it like coughs then continues to accelerate but never seemed to have the power my first vmax had. Ok I am blaming this on old age and the fact I just became a grandpa lol but I had looked at the control cable on the Vboost before I thought and seen it move when rapping it up but today I got a light and really went to lookin cause the coughing has seemed to worsin. Hey I'm missing the lock screw on the connector block!!! I did see things moving but well anyways.
Does anyone know off the top of there head what size of screw that is? Gotta do some digging I guess. Thanks in advance and I sure enjoy reading all your post on here
John

ok I have been riding my bike for 3 years thinking that a carb tune is coming very soon. I've had a problem under full throttle from 6000 where it like coughs then continues to accelerate but never seemed to have the power my first vmax had. Ok I am blaming this on old age and the fact I just became a grandpa lol but I had looked at the control cable on the Vboost before I thought and seen it move when rapping it up but today I got a light and really went to lookin cause the coughing has seemed to worsin. Hey I'm missing the lock screw on the connector block!!! I did see things moving but well anyways.
Does anyone know off the top of there head what size of screw that is? Gotta do some digging I guess. Thanks in advance and I sure enjoy reading all your post on here
John

if you can find it in a microfiche like on ron ayers the size of the bolt should be in the part number.

SCREW,WITH WASHER

Mfg. Part Number: 90159-05119-00
Our SKU: 1043628
Thanks guys it is number 32 on that fiche but unfortanetly it says its a screw with washer but no size :-( I'll keep digging
SCREW,WITH WASHER
SCREW,WITH WASHERSCREW,WITH WASHER

Mfg. Part Number: 90159-05119-00
Our SKU: 1043628

the part number should tell you what you need.... to me that says its a 5mm bolt with 119 length. which doesn't make sense.

So i'd goto the hardware store and get a few different bolts 5mm maybe one of each length: 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm and a washer.

Ok, you have a few different bolts in there.

Number one you have a small bolt that holds the adjustment of the v-boost cable. It passes through the side of the little black coupling box and clamps it in place top take out any excess slack in the cable. From the part number:
BOLT,BUTTON 92017-05010-00 I would say it is a 5mm x 10mm long. This is normally a small button headed allen screw.

There is another bolt that runs beside that black box and acts more like a retainer to keep it from getting twisted in place or pulling out of the bracket. That part number is the one you indentified:
SCREW,WITH WASHER 90159-05119-00 which appears it would be a 5mm x 119mm long. But more likely it's 5mm x 19mm long (more on this in a second). This is a phillips screw that is lathed down after the first 4 or so threads to have a smooth shank almost like a think pin punch.

There is another screw that holds the cable and bracket to the servo motor. I don't think you are talking about this one.

Here's how to ID most Yamaha bolts (see the attached picture).

Sean

Attachments

• Bolt ID.jpg
    Bolt ID.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 22
I can't say thanks enough for all the help!!!!!
Ok I ran to Ace Hardware and got a metric screw 5mm by10mm long and a star lock washer and tried it. It screwed in perfectly. I did the key test and it cycled back and forth and see no problems. Took her out for a quick blast and all I can say is SHE'sBACK!!!!!!!!! Wow that is what I remember the vmax feeling like :)
ok one more question though. With the key off I just tightened the screw down into the connector block with it in the position that it was not running. I see that the block is slotted I am guessing to float or is this an adjustment for opening more or less?
anyways thanks for all your help!!!
John

it is slotted to adjust for the manufacturing tolerances. You would run it through a test cycle then tighten up the bolt. Which is probably what you did.

Sean

Back