I Messed Up....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gally

Reaction score
I had a rattle on the plate that covered the end of my stock pipes...or so I thought stock. The bike had several mods when I bought it, so working on it without the history was always going to be a gamble.

See attached pics. The rivets were loose causing an annoying rattle.

Plan:

- Drill out the rivets
- pull out the "innards" of the exhaust
- clean it up to get the residul pieces of rivet out
- button it back up with some new rivets
- back riding in an hour!!

Have a look what I saw after the rivets came off...

What do I do???? there a 5 little pieces of rivet still in the pipe! I assume I cant risk starting the bike. Will I have to get it trailored somewhere to cut the pipe and clean it up?:confused2:

I cant believe this Rookie move!!!!

Help!

Attachments

• pipe.JPG
    pipe.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 47
  • pipe2.JPG
    pipe2.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 63
make the holes a little biger , and enjoy the new sound . i understand what your woried about , but almost everyone has done this mod and im sure most ppl push a few of them in and dont even know it . the eng cant suck it up unless the baffels are all rusted out and even then i dont think it would hapen . mine looks just like that with lager holes . drill them out to 3/8 , get some high temp eng paint from autozone and call it done .

You are not going to cause any issues with having the rivet stubs down in the muffler. You won't get the muffer apart without destroying it anyway. You can either re-size the holes or re-rivet back your plate on. You may or may not even hear the small remaining peices rattling around in there.

Sean

Thanks guys....thought I had really done it! I was afraid to warm up the oil for a change and just stopped everything.

Should I count my blessings, or drilling a couple more holes for a beefer sound!?.... would it make to much possibility for metal bits in the wrong place?

Thanks

Will I have to adjust the carbs if I drill the holes bigger? Any power issues?

(A quick search of the web will get you the info on how to do this mod, it's where I found out too.) This is the way that I drilled my stock pipes after removing the end caps:
I used a center punch chisel, then carefully chose a center point between each of the rivet holes and set a point. Then I drilled 1/2" holes on those points. I painted the area flat black but made sure I did not paint any of the chrome of the exhaust pipe. I am thinking of painting the end cap flat black too. I have yet to do it but I am also going to try to tap the rivet holes and use some SS button cap bolts to mount the end cap back on with 3 or 4 SS washers used as spacers. The metal is a little thin so tapping it may not work too well. I may have to use some expanding type inserts (tee nuts??) to do the job.

it will be louder but don't expect a gain in HP (at least probably not feelable). No carb work should need done.

Sean

I drilled mine, but not before I checked around. Enlarging the holes a bit--I think I went 3/8"--makes them sound real good. You can do a little at a time and kind of "tune" it the way you like. No need to rejet or readjust, according to the guys I spoke with--has little effect on back pressure. Mine runs and sounds great, and still has the stock look, which I like. I bought some aluminum exhaust tips on ebay, and I like them, too, but just the hi-temp black paint will do you up good.

Last edited:
The baffles and routing in there are so intricate it labryinth like, they'll never get through there.

MY RIVETT HEADS HAVE BEEN INSIDE FOR 2,000 MILE'S & HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM RATTLE ! :punk:

Not when you're moving and you close the throttle and leave the clutch engaged. Turns Max (or any motor) into a big old Hoover. Sounds good, though.

I did this mod and used a rivet kit from Harbor Freight to put threaded rivet nuts in the old rivet holes, used 4 washers on each of the SS hex head bolts as spaces and put the chrome cap back on.

Sounds great, looks great, easily reversable (if desired)... There was a link somewhere...

I took the easy way out.....took off the other end plate, and cleaned it up as much as I could and drilled out the rivet holes to 7mm.

Sounds awsome!:clapping:

I also took some duct tape on the end of some forcepts and managed to get 7 of the 10 pieces of rivet out:banana:.

Did my oil change and cruised for an hour:biglaugh:

Attachments

• DSCN0821.JPG
    DSCN0821.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0817.JPG
    DSCN0817.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 9
  • rearend.JPG
    rearend.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: