I might get rid of my Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heya Kyle, are you going to join Chris and I on our 2nd annual rip down I90E on our way to Danny's! This time we won't make a wrong turn and have to cut across 3 lanes of traffic, right Chris...:rofl_200::rofl_200:

That was a great ride, sorry bout that, shit 7 lanes are nothing for our bikes, right Kyle:clapping:.

Kyle, sorry to see you sell the Max, but your still riding and that's the important part..

Yeah Brian...good run doing 90 on I90....Kyle might have to wind up that V2....:biglaugh:

Gotta love those Ironbutters , 475 miles per year for 24 years.

:rofl_200:

It might work out OK for me......

I'll double the miles in one short northern riding season:eusa_dance:

That was a great ride, sorry bout that, shit 7 lanes are nothing for our bikes, right Kyle:clapping:.

Kyle, sorry to see you sell the Max, but your still riding and that's the important part..

Yeah Brian...good run doing 90 on I90....Kyle might have to wind up that V2....:biglaugh:

I think that's about the top speed.....:confused2:

I am taking the northerly route this year thru Canada as I'm riding with Mike (Maxcruiser). Were meeting Jim and Trevor in Ogdensburg, NY for a overnight stay before we cruise down to Danny's.
I think this is close to you Kyle so we could hook up with you for the final leg. If you can recommend a good place to stay for the 4 of us and maybe a place to eat as well it would be much appreciated.

I am taking the northerly route this year thru Canada as I'm riding with Mike (Maxcruiser). Were meeting Jim and Trevor in Ogdensburg, NY for a overnight stay before we cruise down to Danny's.
I think this is close to you Kyle so we could hook up with you for the final leg. If you can recommend a good place to stay for the 4 of us and maybe a place to eat as well it would be much appreciated.

Ogdensburg is 35 minutes away!!!!!!

If you cross in Massena I am 20 minutes away!!!!!!

I don't know squat about hotels in the 'burg but I could set you up anywhere around here......let me know what you need......DAMMIT I need a bigger house!!!!

I will sure as hell have a BBQ if the timing works out.......WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

BR'11:clapping:

Ogdensburg is 35 minutes away!!!!!!

If you cross in Massena I am 20 minutes away!!!!!!

I don't know squat about hotels in the 'burg but I could set you up anywhere around here......let me know what you need......DAMMIT I need a bigger house!!!!

I will sure as hell have a BBQ if the timing works out.......WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

BR'11:clapping:
Yeah Mike and I will probably be getting in late afternoon as we will be coming from Sudbury, Ontario (376 miles to Massena). We'll have to see what the group wants to do though, I'm far from leading this group.
:hmmm: Although I'm the only one that will have been to Danny's stronghold. They don't know the secret signal to get past the guard towers either!:th_biggun:

Congrats on the new wheels! Hope you're still going to hang around this forum.

Good luck!

Blaine

I will stay here as long as I am allowed......the folks here the BEST!!!!!:punk:

Ain't got the new/old wheels yet......Wife says I'll have it come hell or high water......but I have been this close to it before and it always seems to fall apart at the last minute.....

I'm going down to the dealer next friday.....if he offers $3500.00 trade I'm agonna take it!!!!:punk:

I'd be very surprised if you got that from a dealer. HD dealers are greedy....that's common knowledge. Nobody gets "deals" at a HD dealer and often pay over sticker for popular models to avoid waiting lists. Trades(other than the HD "buyback" program) aren't worth much to them. Non-HD trades are worth even less, because they know it's going to sit around a long time. People don't walk into a HD dealer looking for a Yamaha. And depending on the dealer, they might not even want it. No kidding....I've known/heard about more than one where the owner/manager/whoever is so "stuck" on the HD image they don't want any non-American bikes "polluting" their showroom and flat out refused imports on trade.

On a private sale you could easily get $3500, probably more. Trade-in at a HD dealership.......ehhh.....I seriously doubt it. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they offered you $1500 or so.

If you're really set on this swap, do yourself a favor and sell the vmax yourself, then buy the hd. No need to line the salesman's pockets by taking a bath on trade value.

But dude, why a HD? I can absolutely guarantee as you ride the HD home you'll notice all the "shit" that is absent from a vmax. Be on the look-out for:
-A clunky, harsh gearbox with a throw of about a foot. Instead of a "snick.....snick.....snick" from a Vmax, you get "grrrrrrrrrrkerBANG..........eeeeerrrrrrchhhhBANG.......nothing....it missed......oh wait.....grrrBANG", and now I'm up to almost the speed limit. Apparently, "they all do that". Ummmhmm okay.
-Blinkers that come on and off as they please
-Vibration that renders the mirrors useless at all speeds
-Brakes made from wood and pizza pans. Seriously, your Nikes could do a better job, even with the car-size foot brake pedal.
-The fork wobbling under hard(relatively) braking.
-A speedometer that tends to turn off at idle
-0-60 time equal to that of most minivans

Those are the things I noticed on my 15 minute Harley ride. I promptly returned it to it's owner, said I thought it was totally sick cool dope awesome and got back on my Vmax and suddenly had a new appreciation for a precise, quality machine. I don't know about you, but I absolutely could not live with such a clunker of a bike after being "spoiled" by something that works properly. Even if I thought HD was the coolest machine on the planet, the abysmal engineering and horrid riding experience would completely ruin it for me.

Take it for a test drive and see if you're still sold on it. The phrase goes "never meet your childhood heroes"......and it's usually true. I mean if having the HD FLXTHIWTS whatever gives you the most enjoyment from riding then go for it, that's what it's all about. Just I can't possibly see how such a massive downgrade in quality could possibly improve the experience.

Anyway hope you're happy with whatever choice you make.

Well Kyle, I hope you thought it through properly. I mean going to a bike with tons less technology than the Vmax doesn't make alot of sense to me.

I mean an air cooled, pushrod, 60hp engine in a chassis with substandard brakes and suspension. Single piston brake calipers in the front and back, etc...

Hey, if it's your dream bike, than it won't matter what any of us negatively say about it, it's your choice, I just hope your sure about it before you pick it up.

I have owned a few Harley's in my day and was a die hard Harley loyalist for many years, that was till I got my first Vmax. That's when I realized that Harleys, no matter how much money you put into it, will never give me the thrill that the Vmax does.

Good Luck on your decision.

Mike

Hate to be negative but........I hope you are good with a wrench cause you will be very busy keeping that bike togeher. That being said, I've always said every biker should own a Harley once in their lifetime. Enjoy! (you'll be back). ;)

Mark

Not trying to be a dream crusher here, Kyle. But, that price seems kinda high for a 23 year old bike with not much done to it. Just a quick glance at my local CL brought up some interesting bikes.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2162149662.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2161826447.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2161733386.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2160926614.html

I appreciate your efforts but none of those is an evolution engine or an FXR.....

I do not want a twin-cam engine or a softail and the FXR frame is far superior to the Dyna chassis.....

I'm kind'a fussy........I know.....that's why it's always been my dream bike:confused2:

Hate to be negative but........I hope you are good with a wrench cause you will be very busy keeping that bike togeher. That being said, I've always said every biker should own a Harley once in their lifetime. Enjoy! (you'll be back). ;)

Mark

I have no problem with an evolution engine.......hell it's basically a lawnmower.....:rofl_200:

Back