i need some guidance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
so here lately ive been thinkin, i luv my gen1 vmax and its paid off, would it really be worth it to trade it in and buy a new one? i mean 300 a mnth payment, sky high insurance, 300 dollar rear tires and 15 mpg... and its still not the fastest bike out there... as a matter of fact in the quarter(due to wheelspin im sure) its not too much faster than a gen 1.

it doesnt have a legacy like the gen 1, it sounds too smooth and doesnt have the muscle car sound i like. (whole family likes racing/muscle cars) if i really wanna go fast i can prolly supercharge this for 3k or so and td be way lighter than a gen 2

i thot about keeping my old vmax and buying a royalstar venture instead for 6 or 7k. thats about fully depreciated id say so i cant take a loss on it.

but from the looks of it the gen 2s are fully depreciated too haha.

KBB 14k, dealer price 14.5k, random guy who has one 15.5-16k lol

im kind of a stage 3 rider, and what i mean is

stage 1 - ride in town all day to show off your bike, if noones out go home and park it or try a different town

stage 2 - ride it to work, or to an event and occasionally around town

stage 3 - pull out of driveway, point in a direction and just ride

i ride with my gf a lot and i dunno i just dont know.

i can buy 3 royal stars for the price of one vmax

If you're planning to finance it for $300/month for few years I would pass. That's a lot of money each month to ride. Plus mods, and maintenance and insurance.

If you had enough disposable income, that would be a different story. Don't do it the American way of buy now, pay for 5 years. If you really want one, start saving your money now, put it into an interest bearing acoount and by the time you save up some cash the price on used gen2's will go down a bit I'm sure. Enjoy the bike you have in the meantime and the peace of mind that comes with having a little extra in the bank just in case.

I would buy the venture, and keep the old max and supercharge it! That would be awsome! I personally like the looks of the gen 1 better than the gen 2.

Jeff

Me i rode 1 love the performance hate the look, so i kept my 02 and had a 1500 motor built. If i was buying a Muscle bike i no doubt B-king($7999) throw an exhaust on it and you have a nice looing bike. Not to mention extra $$$$ in your pocket not the stealership. I also like the performance out of the 2010 Kawi z1.

From the beginning of your post it almost seems you've already talked yourself out of it anyway.
Having 2 bikes is always fun IMO, you can ride one and tinker with the other.

You can do everything imaginable to the gen 1 for a lot less than a gen 2. Big bore motor, supercharger, you name it. Seem to remember there was someone here with a supercharged gen 1 that would blow away a gen 2 anyway. You could do all that, buy the royal star, and still have cash left over compared to a gen 2.

Gen 2's are cool, but when I read here people only get around 20mpg with them, that's really a deal breaker for me. I mean I know all that power has to come from somewhere, but really? I guess if you can afford a gen 2 you can afford to fill it up every hour. I can see 40 or a bit better on my gen 1.

I agree with what Jedi stated....sounds like you've already talked yourself out of it! I just got the title to mine last week, finally paid off after 4 years and I have no interest in getting into another payment each month. I'm gonna keep mine, ride it, enjoy it, and smile when I think about the extra $186 in my pocket each month!!!!

I like the road you're looking at. Gen 1 , modify it to your power & looks need. Get a Royal Star / Venture ............... 2 bikes are cool. One to ride while you customize the other. One warning though , it leads to the third bike to get for that other occasional ride 'cause you've already modified the first two! :clapping:

I agree with what Jedi stated....sounds like you've already talked yourself out of it! I just got the title to mine last week, finally paid off after 4 years and I have no interest in getting into another payment each month. I'm gonna keep mine, ride it, enjoy it, and smile when I think about the extra $186 in my pocket each month!!!!

i dont mind the payment, i financed mine out over 5 years so the payment was low in case i ran into a money issue id have some breathing room. the payment was like 44.25 a month, so id put several hundred dollars in at a time and walk away. then last week i was like WTH and went and paid it off.

well i look at it like this, buy an old beat up one for a little cheaper and spend 50 a month fixing stuff

or buy a nice one now that needs nothing for 50 a month..

same with cars, buy a beater and you change the oil, brakes, window motor, rear door handle, blah blah, replace the missing rim, fix the AC, change spark plugs and o2 sensor.. exhaust leak...

youre spening 100 a month in repairs!!!! just go finance som ething nicer for 100 a month and be done with it. the newer vehicle will be worth more anyway than the beater

cuz after 2 years and the smoke clears, the beater cost you 3k and is now worth 700 bucks(unless you dont repair anything, in which case the car is worth 200 to scrap, but u have to buy a new beater every 3 months)
and the nicer car you bought for 3k is now worth 2,500

You can do everything imaginable to the gen 1 for a lot less than a gen 2. Big bore motor, supercharger, you name it. Seem to remember there was someone here with a supercharged gen 1 that would blow away a gen 2 anyway. You could do all that, buy the royal star, and still have cash left over compared to a gen 2.

Gen 2's are cool, but when I read here people only get around 20mpg with them, that's really a deal breaker for me. I mean I know all that power has to come from somewhere, but really? I guess if you can afford a gen 2 you can afford to fill it up every hour. I can see 40 or a bit better on my gen 1.

ya i was thinking that too. my commute is 60 miles or so one way, interstate so i cant stop midglight cuz id lose too much time. id fill up before i left, and before i came back. so 16-20 dollars depending on prices. i work 6 days a week. so 24 times a month itd cost me 16-20 dollars just to commute let alone joy ride. plus payment and insurance oh and tires.

so i could buy an old honda magna or yamaha radian or honda nighthawk every month for the cost of ownership of this bike lol. crazy when you think of money

Here ya go with some free advice (you know what that means) lol
1. Whatever you put into your current bike, it's only worth what that book says it's worth to a bank, the state, etc... so mods are a loss UNLESS you find an individual that cares and pays what you think it's worth
2. BUT, mods are fun and make the one bike cooler and nicer!!
3. A second bike gives you the option of a different ride. IMHO there is not a perfect do-everything bike. Some are built for speed, some comfort etc.... So, 2 bikes, 2 styles of riding to fit the mood of the day :punk:
4. If you want to finance, what I do is save the money (don't live like a Hermit, but don't waste the moola) pop it in a CD at the bank, pull a low interest loan on it and bingo, you have your item you want with a clear title. A CD loan is EXTREMELY flexible on payments if you get in a bind (pay interest only), if you get in way too big of a bind you can cash it out and pay off loan or sell item and pay off loan, etc.. And at the end of the term, you still have your item you wanted AND your capital with $200 worth of interest. :biglaugh: (CD rates suck btw)

personally I've been thinking of getting a cruiser in addition to the max, those things are just so cheap used, and they will ride nice. Been riding my buddy's 1300 v-star and it's like a couch on 2 wheels. didn't think I'd like it, but i do, nice change of pace bike.
anyway, Just my .02
:eusa_dance:

i know i feel so guilty. ive wanted a gen2 so bad but i just dunno if its justified. after a couple weeks ill get used to the power and it wont feel new anymore and then its just another max to me. (an expensive one)

i know i feel so guilty. ive wanted a gen2 so bad but i just dunno if its justified. after a couple weeks ill get used to the power and it wont feel new anymore and then its just another max to me. (an expensive one)

Wait, wait, I have the solution! buy me a genII max and you keep the genI - I will test it out completely and report back to you if it was a waste of your money or not - :rofl_200:

NOW that sounds like a plan, right??????

Mike

Wait, wait, I have the solution! buy me a genII max and you keep the genI - I will test it out completely and report back to you if it was a waste of your money or not - :rofl_200:

NOW that sounds like a plan, right??????

Mike

I guess your still thinking about it?

Latest posts

Back