I put the bike on CL

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk203

Reaction score
Well I havent been on the forum much lately. (I just recently got a computer again) But I figured I would come on and say hello. I reluctantly put the bike for sale on SNJ craigslist a couple minutes ago. I'm not hell bent on selling it but I've really been contemplating it for a while. My best friend and only riding buddy is moving to Florida this week, I've seriously only ridden it a few times this year (not counting to work and back) and we could really use the money.

So I put it up not really in hopes of selling it but knowing its probably the right thing to do. I have two young girls and I just don't have enough time and money for them and all of my hobbies. If it does sell I'll get another one when the time is right. Maybe even a gen2 ; )

I've done this a few times.....I always end up getting cold feet and hanging onto it.

However if you rarely ever ride it, and don't have anyone to ride with it can be tough to justify keeping it.

Take the bike for a ride some day by yourself. Take a ride down that road you always pass but have never been down, or just go get lost somewhere. When I first got a bike I always wanted someone to ride with and would rarely ever go alone. However, no kidding, I read this book (the big fat "Volume 1" of all four), and it inspired me to go "explore" on the bike. It really got me more interested in the solo touring thing, and it can be very enjoyable. This summer I'd frequently come home from work, plop my ass on the couch, click on the TV, and instantly be bored with it. I'd get on the bike with absolutely no destination in mind and just ride. Not necessairly at 100mph, enjoying the Max's power without even actually using it (yes, it's possible). I found lakes I didn't know existed, interesting landmarks, and an abandoned theme park that I took the Max "off roading" through, scooting around a crumbling gate and riding down a former midway....that was cool. I stopped in the middle, shut off the motor and just listened to the silence for a bit....the most relaxing thing I can think of doing.

While I won't say I ever thought about selling my bike(except to upgrade) from not using it enough, "discovering" riding by myself probably increased my mileage about five-fold over just heading out on the weekend with buddies. Which is still a blast, but solo exploration is fun in it's own way. Just you and the superbly crafted machine underneath you, hundreds of parts moving in precise harmony with the sole purpose of taking you wherever you want to go.

Food for thought....rock on. :punk:

I agree with RA go explore. I really enjoy rideing by my self when I really want to ride thats what I do jump on the bike & go. I dont want to sound rude but when I want a long ride I prefer to go by my self & enjoy not knowing where I am gonna end up & not having to worry if some one else wanted to take a diffrent route.

Wow - that's how I ride, but I always thought I was an un-sociable dick. I guess I'm not so nuts after all. :punk:

Lol.... Yeah I'm not exactly eager to sell it so in the likely case it doesn't sell I will be more than happy to take a few solo rides next year. I've done plenty of them in the past and they always relieve stress and put a smile on my face.

Wow - that's how I ride, but I always thought I was an un-sociable dick.

Thats how I ride. I've think Ive ridden with a group only a few times during organized rides. I enjoy the solidarity. Thats one of the ways I keep my mind in order. back when I was still a cop, me on my old chopper and my best friend that kept my patrol car in top shape would ride pretty much every weekend, 'til I moved back home. now its just riding and enjoying my hometown. brings back memories, and clears my head. I enjoy riding alone.

I have a group that I have been riding with since 1969 with a few additions and deletions through the years. We always have to agree on the ride. Occasionally it is nice to just go where you want to go by yourself. There is probably somewhere you always wanted to ride to but the group wasn't interested. Also, you are on your schedule instead of everyone else's. There is a certain feeling of freedom being able to go where you want on the schedule you want without concern for anyone but yourself.....

Take a ride down that road you always pass but have never been down, or just go get lost somewhere. When I first got a bike I always wanted someone to ride with and would rarely ever go alone.

"discovering" riding by myself probably increased my mileage about five-fold over just heading out on the weekend with buddies. Which is still a blast, but solo exploration is fun in it's own way. Just you and the superbly crafted machine underneath you, hundreds of parts moving in precise harmony with the sole purpose of taking you wherever you want to go.

man i got teary eyed just reading that. its sooo deep and its true. this post has inspired me to go for a quick ride tonight. i mean right now. at 3 in the morning

Agree on the solo rides , call it " me " time. Hate having to wait on the HD guys and can't keep up with the squids trying to see how fast they can take a wet corner ! :punk:

I enjoy both types of riding....with and without! I've only been in this area for 6 years and there are hundreds of miles of 'undiscovered' roads...this I kinda prefer to do alone. But the rides with my V Max buddies, the "Nor'easters," are just as much fun! Get to lots of places I had no idea even exist.

It's all fun for me.....long's I can swing a leg over it's gonna be a good day!! :punk:

jdk, sorry to hear your riding buddy is moving. Lots of good suggestions in this thread about how to enjoy your bike and reset your mind by riding solo. (For me, the solo rides I enjoy are the nighttime summer rides on the superslab when the family is asleep - and traffic is nil.)

However, I promise, living in NJ I guarantee with a little looking you can find some more riding buddies in a heartbeat. Check out meetup.com. There's bound to be motorcycle riding group after riding group for you to choose from. Just join up and crash some of their rides. You'll have folks inviting you in right off the bat.

Heck, start planning now for a trip to Florida in the spring to see your buddy!

FWIW, with the summer I've had I'm not sure how I would have made it without my bike and my buddies. The VMax makes a good therapist. ;-)

jdk, sorry to hear your riding buddy is moving. Lots of good suggestions in this thread about how to enjoy your bike and reset your mind by riding solo. (For me, the solo rides I enjoy are the nighttime summer rides on the superslab when the family is asleep - and traffic is nil.)

However, I promise, living in NJ I guarantee with a little looking you can find some more riding buddies in a heartbeat. Check out meetup.com. There's bound to be motorcycle riding group after riding group for you to choose from. Just join up and crash some of their rides. You'll have folks inviting you in right off the bat.

Heck, start planning now for a trip to Florida in the spring to see your buddy!

FWIW, with the summer I've had I'm not sure how I would have made it without my bike and my buddies. The VMax makes a good therapist. ;-)

Yeah I've done a few rides during the summer after the family is asleep. And it is great therapy.But, I'm not selling it just because he's leaving I have other reasons too...money being a big one. I could sell my jeep instead but I can't imagine winter without my jeep. I bought it brand new back when I was single and lived alone with the intent of keeping it forever. I pretty much have to sell one or the other and either way I'll be torn. I just feel like the bike could be replaced way easier than the only new car I've ever bought. Not to mention they don't make jeeps like they used to.

Where were you three weeks ago?

Would have easily paid you 2800 to not have to deal with my current headache plus I love the white walls.

Put higher res pics on your ad hosted on imgur or something.

not to get off topic but what kind of jeep? If you mean wrangler the new jk is IMHO better in some aspects than the tj or yj. If it is xj than sell it, they are a dime a dozen and can be had pretty cheap around here. Good luck with whatever you do sir. Don't sell the bike!!! lol

A lot of times when I go with the "usual gang" of 3-5 other bikes, one person typically plans out the ride, where to go, ect, so by the time we meet up they already have a destination and route in mind. Several times I wanted to go check out a neat place, like a waterfall you can slide down and a nice cliff jumping location, but then nobody's interested.

And the thing that drives me nuts....the one "frontman" goes ape shit for McDonalds. Absolutely loves that stuff. So EVERY SINGLE time we ride, we stop at a mickey-deez for lunch. Of course I can't stand it. Tastes like crap and it's horrendously overpriced. $8 for a nasty burger, soggy fries and a coke? So I just don't eat, and spend that $8 on another hundred miles worth of gogo juice for Mr Max instead.

A lot of times when I go with the "usual gang" of 3-5 other bikes, one person typically plans out the ride, where to go, ect, so by the time we meet up they already have a destination and route in mind. Several times I wanted to go check out a neat place, like a waterfall you can slide down and a nice cliff jumping location, but then nobody's interested.

And the thing that drives me nuts....the one "frontman" goes ape shit for McDonalds. Absolutely loves that stuff. So EVERY SINGLE time we ride, we stop at a mickey-deez for lunch. Of course I can't stand it. Tastes like crap and it's horrendously overpriced. $8 for a nasty burger, soggy fries and a coke? So I just don't eat, and spend that $8 on another hundred miles worth of gogo juice for Mr Max instead.

i'm with u on that one. disgusting. only in an emergency.

mcdonalds just reopened in my town after a remodel. my brother just had to have some so he went there and sat in traffic that was wrapped around the building for a big mac and fries. got home and puked it all up lol

I eat it every 2-3 months...good goin' down but man it comes out like a grenade :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back