I say 9.5 ET....stock, with drag radial....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new vmax has already run in the 9's there is a time slip posted 9.9 on the yamaha star vmax site.

I do not think the new gen 2 max will drop into the 9s so easy.I believe its going to be alot harder to work with then the orginal Max especially on the street with red light to red light racing.All the extra torque and length is going to make it a beast to hook up,sorta like a stretched sport bike with a crappy tire.(do not know of street strip 18 tires for the new max!??!)

Drop the stock pipes add different mapping and you still screwed with crappy 18 tire and only going to go so far in dropping times.Yea throw the slick to it and will work better but someones going to bust you on the way to house in street form of bike. Nice bike awsome idea but we have been dealt same hand.

Too heavy,wrong rims,needs chain nothing like prgress. JOHN

I do not think the new gen 2 max will drop into the 9s so easy.I believe its going to be alot harder to work with then the orginal Max especially on the street with red light to red light racing.All the extra torque and length is going to make it a beast to hook up,sorta like a stretched sport bike with a crappy tire.(do not know of street strip 18 tires for the new max!??!)

Drop the stock pipes add different mapping and you still screwed with crappy 18 tire and only going to go so far in dropping times.Yea throw the slick to it and will work better but someones going to bust you on the way to house in street form of bike. Nice bike awsome idea but we have been dealt same hand.

Too heavy,wrong rims,needs chain nothing like prgress. JOHN

I believe you have things just a tad backwards there. Long wheelbases are specifically good for getting torque to the ground and improving launches. Suggesting it would be bad like"stretched sport bikes" is not correct when you consider that's exactly what they do to make a sport bike drag! If you look at the more powerful drag machines (bikes and dragsters) you will see that wheelbases get very long as torque goes up.
The only real issue with this bike is no one has had a year of racing development to get something out of it. There have been some already in the nines recently. So it ca only get better.

Actually, he is correct about the xtra TQ and xtra wheelbase making it harder to hookup. The longer the wheelbase, the harder it is to transfer weight to the rear. If the tire will hold(and the shock is set correctly) then, yes there is much more potential for lowered ET(the extra length helps keep the front on the ground).

I concur, I can't count the number of times that all of the people at the track have had traction problems, and I was wheelying like a mad man because I'm still at stock wheelbase.

Also, 66" is long even for a drag bike. I know that on say My zx14 if you go over 64" then traction becomes almost nonexistant unless you're at an NHRA event on a Power race soft, or a shinko U-soft with 10 PSI in it. And that's with an inline 4. A v4 with gobbs of torque is going to be even worse. Accept the bike for what it is. A really cool low-mid 10 second bruiser with it's own personality.

NOT A DRAGBIKE

I dont know how many times I have to say this.... Traction is controlled by the rider on a motorcycle with clutch, throttle, body postion and many other things. Yes I fully agree that you may not be able to put 100% of the power to the ground with a 200HP street tire motorcycle but you should also be able to launch the bike without blowing the rear tire off!!

I have launched my stock wheelbase VMAX in the low 1.52's
Yes I agree there are times such as last friday night the track wasnt prepped very well and my tire was worn 85% but I never blew the tire off the line into smoke,, could have i put on a show and burned the tire all through first YES!

Learn to ride a street bike on the track before you make comments I am so sick and tired of hearing ohh it wont hook up!

If your blowing the tire off at 6500 RPM launches then drop it down to 5500 until the bike hooks. If it breaks loose 20 ft out slide the clutch more and keep the RPMS under 8500.... Adjust to the track and what it can hold.

I can see if we didnt have a clutch on these motorcycles but we do learn clutch and throttle control and I can launch any motorcycle without blowing the tire off.... Ok enough about the VMAX GEN II has to much power to hook up...

And Yes I am sure it will break the tire loose in 2nd... half track etc.. that comes down to track prep with VHT and also the stock OEM hard ass compound tire they put on.. Get a Shinko 003 compound and I bet you wont break the tire loose!! If the tire can hold a 350HP Hayabuse running 150+ Mph in the 1/8 I bet it can hold a 200HP VMAX.

just thought i would ignite a discussion.

If a 600 pound 140hp Gen 1 can get in the 10s....

Than 680 pound 200hp Gen 2 can get in the 9s

present your arguments pro or con......

My brother just bought an 09, haven't ridden his yet. He seems to think it will go mid 9's... but only with the right engine oil. Is there an oil forum somewhere he can get on?

Yankee,
From what I gather you cannot get a sticky tire for the new max att. The longer WB and big torque amplifies the traction problem untill a good tire is made for it. And true you can launch without blowing the tire away but you limit the ultamate potential of the bike when it is traction limited. Untill a sticky tire is made the weight, wheelbase and torque all factors against it.
If someone wants to see the potential put a slick on the 18" rim. That will cure the traction and see how it goes. I think you will see a few tenths dropped as it does have a long WB.

Jim N

Yankee,
From what I gather you cannot get a sticky tire for the new max att. The longer WB and big torque amplifies the traction problem untill a good tire is made for it. And true you can launch without blowing the tire away but you limit the ultamate potential of the bike when it is traction limited. Untill a sticky tire is made the weight, wheelbase and torque all factors against it.
If someone wants to see the potential put a slick on the 18" rim. That will cure the traction and see how it goes. I think you will see a few tenths dropped as it does have a long WB.

Jim N
Very accurate and very well said.

And Yes I am sure it will break the tire loose in 2nd... half track etc.. that comes down to track prep with VHT and also the stock OEM hard ass compound tire they put on.. Get a Shinko 003 compound and I bet you wont break the tire loose!! If the tire can hold a 350HP Hayabuse running 150+ Mph in the 1/8 I bet it can hold a 200HP VMAX.

no 350hp bikes are hooking on street tires unless they've got a boost controller so that they are seriously neutered, they're running really low PSI, and the track is prepped REALLY WELL. the only "street" tires that will remotely hook are the 003 U-soft and Power Race soft. BTW... those tires last no more that 1500 miles on the street and that's on an I-4 bike. YIKES

just thought i would ignite a discussion.

If a 600 pound 140hp Gen 1 can get in the 10s....

Than 680 pound 200hp Gen 2 can get in the 9s

present your arguments pro or con......

So Pee Wee just (kinda) proved me right ...he pulled a 9.51 with a slick..but did have the pipe and tune so..... i will say half right....:clapping::punk::eusa_dance::worthy:

Well I have no reason to bullshit I am just telling you from what I see here at my local track by a racer I respect..
This is a stretched busa with a turbo and nitrous setup and of course he is running a full control setup.
I dont know the full details of the bike due to I am not really intrested in Busas but they are the fastest bike today at the track.
He is running what everyone else runs at the track on street trim bikes.. Shinko 003 compound..
I have seen this bike run as fast as 5.20's at 154+ MPH in the 1/8. Ive been told by the owner that he has the bike tuned down. Its capable of 500HP he tells me its tuned down to around 350HP. Do the math on some formula chart.. Bike weight of a busa is what ?? 500lbs and he is a big guy around 265 not in leathers
Numbers for the forumla
Weight 765LBS.
1/8ET 5.20
MPH 154

The bike is crazy ass fast! i have seen the bike jump completly off the ground 8-10 inches at half track! If you stand 3/4 track you can hear the tire breaking loose... I will see if he has a website I know his name Lee out of Nashville, TN.

no 350hp bikes are hooking on street tires unless they've got a boost controller so that they are seriously neutered, they're running really low PSI, and the track is prepped REALLY WELL. the only "street" tires that will remotely hook are the 003 U-soft and Power Race soft. BTW... those tires last no more that 1500 miles on the street and that's on an I-4 bike. YIKES

So Pee Wee just (kinda) proved me right ...he pulled a 9.51 with a slick..but did have the pipe and tune so..... i will say half right....:clapping::punk::eusa_dance::worthy:
Yup you were half right ... lol... :biglaugh: Good news is i got Bad_Maxs bike to a 1.57 60 foot with a street tire and that was a better 60 foot than with the M/T slick .. I do think PeeWee could have gone just as fast with a good sticky Street tire ..

Well I have no reason to bullshit I am just telling you from what I see here at my local track by a racer I respect..
This is a stretched busa with a turbo and nitrous setup and of course he is running a full control setup.
I dont know the full details of the bike due to I am not really intrested in Busas but they are the fastest bike today at the track.
He is running what everyone else runs at the track on street trim bikes.. Shinko 003 compound..
I have seen this bike run as fast as 5.20's at 154+ MPH in the 1/8. Ive been told by the owner that he has the bike tuned down. Its capable of 500HP he tells me its tuned down to around 350HP. Do the math on some formula chart.. Bike weight of a busa is what ?? 500lbs and he is a big guy around 265 not in leathers
Numbers for the forumla
Weight 765LBS.
1/8ET 5.20
MPH 154

The bike is crazy ass fast! i have seen the bike jump completly off the ground 8-10 inches at half track! If you stand 3/4 track you can hear the tire breaking loose... I will see if he has a website I know his name Lee out of Nashville, TN.

I dunno, I still think stock for stock the ZX14 will kick the crap out of a Busa. Throw the mods on and it's a whole different story.....maybe.

I dunno, I still think stock for stock the ZX14 will kick the crap out of a Busa. Throw the mods on and it's a whole different story.....maybe.
Well the zx14s have been beating Busas in 3 AMA Prostar classes ... Super street ,Real street and Super sport .. Two of those classes are turbo classes , Super Sport class is stock wheel base and very close to stock .. Not to bad seeing the bike has been out a short time compaired to the 10 years the Busa has had ..

Yup you were half right ... lol... :biglaugh: Good news is i got Bad_Maxs bike to a 1.57 60 foot with a street tire and that was a better 60 foot than with the M/T slick .. I do think PeeWee could have gone just as fast with a good sticky Street tire ..

LOL for real man this is the best news this year.... im impressed all to hell.

1.57 hook is pretty good!! especially with a street tire.

Hope PeeWee keeps working it down...

Back