idle mixture screws

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuathetop

Reaction score
Finaly thought i dialed in my carbs with carb sync tool and now i cant get my idle down under 1100 rpms. My thumbscrew only will raise it ...i even went all in on my mixture screws to see if that would help and nothing. backed them out 4 turns , stopped there cause i dont want them to vibrate out and nothing.Im stumped. any ideas would be appreciated

Do you have a stage 7 kit.....or seans muscle jet kit? As a very general rule.....if you do....set all 4 screws to 3-3.5 turns out. If you don't. ...so it's basically stock.....set all the screws 2.5-3 turns out. Backing the screws out....to the left....will allow more fuel to flow thru them.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

yes it is a stage 7 jet kit. I will try that . but like i said earlier i went to 4 turns and still couldnt bring idle down. Maybe i need to re-sync ? I dont have restricters on my carb tune so i had to syn while holding rpm up to steady the needle...Maybe thats wrong way to do it?

which carb tune do you have? I had a motion pro, and now use a morgan, and with both your were supposed to use restrictors.

If you have a stage 7 are you running vboost always in? This affects syncing

With the boost open you're sharing vacuum from two carbs at a time....far as I know only a Weber tool will sync that configuration....or install the boost butterflies and shut them just to sync.

need to buy restrictors or if anyone knows what i can use to stop needle from erratic slap let me know i greatly apreciate it.

Check around for some micro tubing, think McMaster Carr might be a good source....may have to experiment a bit with the ID....snip off 1/4" pieces and put them in your tubing about 4" back from the sync spigots.

I would guess the smallest ID would probly work the best.

I think the black PVC air lines from truck air brakes would make good restrictors. If you walked into a shop they'd most likely give you a piece of line. Seek out a mechanic with a smile, ahh good luck.
biglaugh.gif

You can also use air correctors and put them into the tubing. That's what the motion pro sync tool uses.

EDIT.....I just looked at the link...and it says that each gauge has its own damping control. Restrictors aren't needed them.....just turn up the damping.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

finaly think shes dialed in. I used welding tips but still had to put vice grips on each line to slow needle bit more. Next will be addressing rust in tank. Thanks guys i really appreciate all the help.

Another good and cheap restrictor is the diaelectric insulator from a piece of cable TV wire.

RG-59.jpg

Part "C" is what you want.

Strip off the outside insulation and metal braid. Pull out the copper core and you have a pretty small restrictor hole. I used a bit of electrical tape to ensure a tight fit in my hoses. Works great and is cheap.

Back