If I buy forks on ebay.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themattreid

Reaction score
Was looking at R1, 998/1098, GSXR, and RC51 forks. Not sure what the correct application is. I know I would need different triple clamps but which ones for which forks?

What say the forum members?

i would like input on this too guys please. Ive tried searching but i havnt come up with much. BUMP!

Otec triples are made for couple different sizes then again they cost $1000.00 you might try cycle one off ,be prepared to pay round $700

Your best bet is to call COO or Wild Brothers and ask them which forks fit their triples.

Take it from the horses mouth.

Ohlins sells an entire kit for the Vmax using thier very high quality Superbike forks, includes triples and all...I think it's about $2500

Most of thier sales people don't even know they have it, you have to dig...

Rusty

I have been researching this very subject for some time. The CHEAP way is a direct swap of a complete sport bike USD set up such as an R-1, Busa or similar. About $1,500 on Ebay. No Issues with handlebars, triples fender or brakes. There is an issue of bearings, custom cutting/maching or the triple tube. IMHO, the Ohlins are the nicest and most well sorted out set up but the $2,600 figure is low and you still have decide what you will do for a speedo. I have a digital speedo with a pick up on the rear rotor from VMaxbitz. Otec is top quality, pre-engineered for all the late model sport bike fork tubes but you have a lot of parts gathering still to do. Wild Bros has them and can order almost any size for you. It all comes back to the bucks and how anal you are. Not all riders will be able to drop a USD on their bikes and get the fork ction or performance they need with the parts designed for a bike almost 200 lbs lighter. You may have to change out springs, add emulators, oil viscosity etc. In a nutshell, I guess it is easiest to wait for something already run and set up for your Max and pony up with the bucks when it comes along. Hope this helps fuel your interest. Oh, check out some galleries and email the guys and ask questions. I know Climax has a USD set up.

I have been researching this very subject for some time. The CHEAP way is a direct swap of a complete sport bike USD set up such as an R-1, Busa or similar. About $1,500 on Ebay. No Issues with handlebars, triples fender or brakes. There is an issue of bearings, custom cutting/maching or the triple tube. IMHO, the Ohlins are the nicest and most well sorted out set up but the $2,600 figure is low and you still have decide what you will do for a speedo. I have a digital speedo with a pick up on the rear rotor from VMaxbitz. Otec is top quality, pre-engineered for all the late model sport bike fork tubes but you have a lot of parts gathering still to do. Wild Bros has them and can order almost any size for you. It all comes back to the bucks and how anal you are. Not all riders will be able to drop a USD on their bikes and get the fork ction or performance they need with the parts designed for a bike almost 200 lbs lighter. You may have to change out springs, add emulators, oil viscosity etc. In a nutshell, I guess it is easiest to wait for something already run and set up for your Max and pony up with the bucks when it comes along. Hope this helps fuel your interest. Oh, check out some galleries and email the guys and ask questions. I know Climax has a USD set up.

That's great info. Sounds like I'll be doing new wheels before I dive into the USD suspension.

That's great info. Sounds like I'll be doing new wheels before I dive into the USD suspension.

You are better off getting some light wheels on here. I have the Carrozzeria's and they made a HELL of a difference in the way it handles and lifts the wheel! :punk:

You are better off getting some light wheels on here. I have the Carrozzeria's and they made a HELL of a difference in the way it handles and lifts the wheel! :punk:

I plan on getting a set of those in the high polish I do believe!

Was looking at R1, 998/1098, GSXR, and RC51 forks. Not sure what the correct application is. I know I would need different triple clamps but which ones for which forks?

What say the forum members?

I have a thread about my GSXR/Hayabusa USD swap and some pictures here http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1625&page=2

You can use the sportbike triples with a vmax stem pressed on, or let Tom at Cycle One Off take care of you.

If you have any questions, just PM me, or post here.

L8R
Neil

Opps...guess you would like to see the finished product huh???

Attachments

• usd_installed_02.jpg
    usd_installed_02.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 20
  • usd_installed_04.jpg
    usd_installed_04.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 17
Looks good Neil!

Now you just need to ride it up here!

We could meet in west virginia or ohio.

Looks good Neil!

Now you just need to ride it up here!

We could meet in west virginia or ohio.

I know I would love to do that, you've always been way beyond cool to me! I've got the finish deadline set at the last day of this month, just hope I make it!

Taking a weekend trip anywhere north or east for me is not a problem during the summer. Just need to tool around here and make sure he's good to go first. It's about 2 hours either direction for me.

Very nice bike. Very nice indeed!

Thank you very much! This Max is very special to me! Remember, if you have any USD questions, drop me an email or PM.

L8R
Neil

Back