ignition issue diagnosis

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmioton

Reaction score
Hello All,

Took a ride up to Catskil, NY this Sunday. Bike has been running beautifully. I stopped for breakfast and when I went back to start the bike...nothing. no lights, fan, nothing. I didn't bring many tools, and since it was a Sunday, nothing was open. I checked the battery, and it read full charge.

I noticed a week ago, I had to turn my ignition a couple times before it came on. No problems since..well since Sunday.

Is it logical to assume it's an ignition at the key issue? Any feedback or suggestions on testing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!

Don

Hello All,

Took a ride up to Catskil, NY this Sunday. Bike has been running beautifully. I stopped for breakfast and when I went back to start the bike...nothing. no lights, fan, nothing. I didn't bring many tools, and since it was a Sunday, nothing was open. I checked the battery, and it read full charge.

I noticed a week ago, I had to turn my ignition a couple times before it came on. No problems since..well since Sunday.

Is it logical to assume it's an ignition at the key issue? Any feedback or suggestions on testing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!

Don

Have you verified that your battery terminals are clean? Have you checked voltage under load (cranking)? My gummed up battery terminals and failing battery gave me those symptons too.

its not uncommon on older bikes for the right side controls....to become corroded and erratic. the ignition switch also.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17281

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17272

when you say you had to turn yer key a few times...im inclined to think perhaps the ignition switch may be needing a cleaning.....if of course you dont have any issues with current supply TO the switch....like loose battery connection . may be a good idea to check the connection at the main fuse under the seat and make shure its nice and snug and clean.

Sounds like maybe the kill switch could be acting-up, or dirty contacts on the ignition switch. Is the key really-sloppy? That could be it, not getting the pins correctly-aligned, but then the switch key probably wouldn't turn. Use your schematic to see if the leads to the switch are getting juice appropriately at the different positions of the key.

The battery terminals are clean and properly connected.

I checked my main fuse connection and it was fine. I made a 30amp jump wire and tried to see if it would provide juice to the dash and headlight...it did not. There's no power going to anything, which leads me to think it's the ignition.

Do I need to purchase a replacement or does cleaning it usually do the trick?

I don't understand how this got posted in the How To Guide section!

From the main fuse you should have power to the ignition switch. I'd check, seeing as lights and switches are also out. If you do have power at the switch, the switch could be the issue. If no power to the switch, check the main fuse to ign switch wire. All wires at the ign. switch just get shunted together. You can connect everything at the switch plug on the left side of the air box.This can get you home and or prove the switch bad. There is a good thread here on fixing the ignition switch, if it's the problem.

Don't try to guess (even an educated one!) what may be causing the problem.
Stat at the battery and check for power along the circuit - when you stop getting a reading you will KNOW you are in the right area.

From the main fuse you should have power to the ignition switch. I'd check, seeing as lights and switches are also out. If you do have power at the switch, the switch could be the issue. If no power to the switch, check the main fuse to ign switch wire. All wires at the ign. switch just get shunted together. You can connect everything at the switch plug on the left side of the air box.This can get you home and or prove the switch bad. There is a good thread here on fixing the ignition switch, if it's the problem.

If not the ignition switch, could be this connector (white plastic, blue, red, and brown wires) Several failures noted on this forum. In my case, the plastic itself melted, and the bike would not shut off! Easy fix - I just eliminated the connector.
Cheers!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone...especially Miles.

I removed the ignition and once opened, found a great big corroded mess. Cleaned it, installed it, bike runs perfect again.

Thanks again!

I'm glad yours got fixed. Let me revive the thread.

Key: ON
Kill switch :OFF
Idiot lights

Kill Switch: ON
Blown ingition fuse.

AAaaaaannnnndddd Go

Last edited:
Back