Ignition switch/fuel pump circuit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
OK, so here's a weird one. Working on an 85. When I turn the key on, the fuel pump doesn't automatically cycle. I can hit the off/on switch several times, nothing happens. Almost by accident, I "wiggled" the ignition switch and it started pumping. Now, once it starts pumping, I can toggle the off/on and cycle the pump. However, after I turn the key off, and try again. Same deal. Won't cycle until I just barely touch or wiggle the switch. Obviously, bad ignition switch, correct? I've never seen on act this way??? :bang head:

SS, that's a different one. Everything goes through the ignition switch so I'm wondering if something else is acting flaky as well?

Well, this 85 is driving me nuts. Had Danny rebuild the carbs, still running like crap. No top end at all, backfiring a bit, seems to me like the back two cylinders are not as hot as the front two. I did pull a spark plug on each one and they are sparking, so I'm at a loss again. I wonder if the fuel pump not working correctly could cause this? Doesn't seem to run out of gas? But once again, like I said, when I turn the key "on", the pump doesn't cycle until I wiggle the key. Who knows what it's actually doing once the bike starts???

Sure sounds like a wonky ignition switch, or a bad ignition switch connector. Either one could be working only intermittently, causing the problems you describe. You could easily check, by disconnecting the connector, and putting a jumper wire from the red to the brown, (on the loom side). This would bypass the ignition switch completely.
Cheers!

Well, I replaced the ignition switch and no difference, the left rear cylinder is not getting hot, I pulled the plug and verified spark, it's also getting gas. Bike is backfiring and popping, I know the carbs are good, DannyMax just rebuilt them. I guess a compression check is going to be in order but I had done one previously when I first got the bike and they were all close, don't know what else to do at this point. :confused2:

Last edited:
Well, I replaced the ignition switch and no difference, the left rear cylinder is not getting hot, I pulled the plug and verified spark, it's also getting gas. Bike is backfiring and popping, I know the carbs are good, DannyMax just rebuilt them. I guess a compression check is going to be in order for that cylinder, don't know what else to do at this point. :confused2:
With the new switch installed- does the fuel pump run as normal when the key is turned on, and does the v-boost go thru it's test cycle?

Well, after fighting these carbs for months, turns out it was the 3 wire connector that the ignition switch attaches to. After swapping ignition switches, that didn't do any good. But today, when I went to put the original switch back in, (outdoors with some LIGHT), I noticed the female plug connector had some greenish corrosion, that same stuff you see on battery terminals. Cleaned it all up, reconnected it and it's running like a champ! Can't believe it was something so simple. I took a quick video of it running, enjoy!

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/83GS1100E_Tornado/media/85_VMAX_March2014/019.mp4.html

Well, this bike belongs to Sarchin now, so hopefully he remembers this thread to see what I had to go through to figure out the ignition switch was the culprit!!! :punk:

Keep a tube of dielectric grease around. Each time you put a connector back together make sure to apply to female side. Good stuff. Often a terminal will "back out" of the connector. Check the back side spades when you grease. Good preventative maintenance for all electrical along with a can of silicone spray. IMHO

Back