Increasing MPG

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Alright so from what I could tell the average distance for a vmax on a tank of gas is about 100 miles, now that's not too bad but I would like to improve this. I tested my bike and got to 97 miles before the red light came on.. I am not sure how far past that you can go?

Anyhow, what are some good ways to increase MPG?

light is 3 gallons, the reserve (i think) is .8 gallons so you can do the math.

are you tuned right? if not sure bring it to a dyno with a sniffer and they should be able to help you out

venture rear drive might help a bit

split the cases and add an OD 5th gear

keep the hooliganisms to a low

bigger gas tank....

You should be getting 110-120 to the light then another 30 with the reserve. Sounds like you aren't quite tuned correct.

Sean

I think 100 is on the low side...what I get if I'm really romping the piss out of it.
I routinely get 110-120 to the fuel light for "normal" riding. Stock apart from a Venture diff, which lowers RPM by about 10% across the board. I get anywhere from 35-40mpg typically. Down into the high 20's if v-boost is being frequently used.

The tank is 4 gallons, supposed to be split about 3.2 to "on" and .8" for "res". I've found if I fill up right when the light comes on, it takes maybe a tad over 3 gal. Your results may vary.

Once the light comes on, and I don't have a fill-up station in mind, I start riding much more conservatively. I give myself 30 miles after the fuel light....which is pretty accurate. I ran dead on the road once at 157 after getting the light at 120.

As Garrett said the Venture diff is a pretty easy swap and lowers your RPM by about 400 at highway speed (I turn 4400 @75mph in fifth).

Syncing your carbs can help here as well. It's really easy, finding a manometer is the hard part. You can make one yourself, otherwise they're like $100 to buy.

The biggest impact on MPG is driving style....easy acceleration, short shifting, and keeping v-boost closed should get you up to the high 30's. But it is a vmax and that can be kind of tough.

ride time might be a contributor too

on my long ride i just did 100 miles thru upstate MA crusing thru small towns and such average speeds not during towns probably 65-80 i got like 41 mpg with my 17" wheel.

around town though and even commuting (on the highway) i get like low 30's mostly because its about 10 miles. warmup to go riding and riding with choke half the time kills my mileage. still over double my truck tho!

About 100 miles I'm going on reserve.That's filling the tank all the way up into the neck. Mark's exhaust with Stg 7 and V Boost on all the time and I do let it idle sometimes 5 minutes to warm up when cold so that idle time takes a litle away from the mileage I suppose plus a little bit of a heavy hand to boot.:rofl_200: My Ultra with the 113" got about the same mileage so I'm used to filling up every 100 miles.
Mike

I get a whopping 75 per tank. but then i do like to twist throttle, i just refer to it as an off/ on switch.

I know I'm getting old. I actually see the speedometer below 100 more often than not. My 2 VMax's will go 100 miles plus before the Fuel Light comes on. When the carbs were FU though I think the 89 may have gotten 40 or 50 miles before the light...:rofl_200: It even pissed out on the engine a couple times before I finally got them squared away... Thought the damn thing was gonna blow me up with it...

I am running marks 4-2 exhaust and a Morley jet kit. I range from 110-130 before fuel light comes on. The 110 is local driving and the 130 is more of the highway mileage. My best was 136 before reserve. I was starting to think that something was broken and I was burning my reserve unknowingly.

Kevin that's pretty good mileage. Is your VBoost still set up normal or open all the time?
Mike

Spec Ops-- Sounds like SkullDuggery would burn your eyes it was so rich! lol!

Mike

It's burned my wallet bad but luckilly not my Ass, yet......:rofl_200:
It's actually running pretty good right now...

Thanks Kevin,that could be why I'm not getting the mpg you are with similar set up. My V Boost has been disabled and is open full time.
Mike

Hey everyone,

Sorry I didn't mean to start a thread and take off but I had some stuff I had to take care of. Anyhow thanks for all the good advice. I am probably going to take my bike to the shop when I have some more money and get a tune up in the areas I dont feel compitent with myself.

I got just over 100 yesterday before the light. Filled up into the neck with 3.3 gallons after that ride. I was on country roads and nailing it on a few of the straights. It feels like it needs overdrive like I've read. I catch myself trying for one more gear at highway speed. My Harley Sportster 883 would get 50 mpg and had a 3.3 gallon tank.

I got about 40 MPG yesterday and that was with several jaunts into right hand side of the tach and speedo to show a couple of blinged out S&S powered clone choppers my tail light.

its funny to see this thread, before the mods we did yesterday i could nearly watch the trip meter hit 100 as the fuel light comes on. Almost like clockwork! but i know my carbs were a little jacked up so maybe it'll be a bit better now..

i doubt it will be anytime soon tho i like twisting the throttle even more now after the new exhaust & jets lol

Latest posts

Back