Individual filters w/o Stage 7 ?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I would like to ditch my air box and run individual filters.

I LOVE how my set up works now, but want the extra space under my faux cover for something I'm working on...

Questions....

Do you HAVE to run air correctors to run individual filters??

Do individual filters and air correctors work OK without the whole stage 7 set up...??

Will air correctors and individual filters screw up my current setup??

And most importantly, WHERE can I get the air correctors without buying a whole stage 7 kit???

Thanks,

Rusty

Do you HAVE to run air correctors to run individual filters??

Yup

Do individual filters and air correctors work OK without the whole stage 7 set up...??

Yup, if you set up the a/f screws and shim the needles. possibly a jet change, depending on your location. I have a friend's Vmax in my shop that has indi filters w/o the stg 7.

Will air correctors and individual filters screw up my current setup??

depends on your location, you may have to re-jet and shim a little.

And most importantly, WHERE can I get the air correctors without buying a whole stage 7 kit???
Sean or other DJ dealers.

Correct as noted above. I have the parts on hand. BUT, I don't know what exhaust you have on the bike right now. With slip-ons or stock exhaust you will end up losing hp. If you've got a full header then you won't have any problems.

Sean

FYI, when I bought my bike it had the air correctors in and rest of jetting and exhaust was stock. I'm guessing the PO had stage 7 and removed everything except the correctors. It ran great but just not the best tuning and was rich. I rarely got over 35 mpg including highway.

did he leave the indv. filters or put the airbox back

He put the stock air box back on....I had no idea about the AC's until Morley pointed them out in Topeka a few years ago when helping me install his Muscle kit.

Python has an individual filter kit that he states will run fine without messing with the jetting. http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/vmax_products/airfil4breather.htm

I find it hard to believe, but would like to hear some un-biased opinion on it. Its cheap, and I would love to ditch the air box. I bought an extra airbox cover, opened the top just a little bit and my Max ran like complete crap. I truly doubt the kit works as advertised, but Python seems to be a reputable dealer.

Those are basically the same air filters as what comes with the stage 7 kit....you need at least the air correctors.

Back