Is it a clutch issue or tranny issue?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i alwasy thought u kept the metal plates (clutch plates) and just replace the friction plates...

are there any rebuild kits for vmax clutch's? I know some bikes have either oem or aftermarket rebuild kits for $100 - $150 or the like.

Replaced the friction discs today. I only took it out for a quick spin and it seemed to be fine. It was cold and rain was threatening, so it didn't last long. Damn this Indiana fucking weather!!!!!
I'm hoping to get it out this weekend sometime for a while to test it. I was going to have the clutch plates beadblasted, but my source (Hagan) for doing it won't have access to the machinery until this upcoming week at earliest. I might just take it apart then and have him do it. It's not like it's HARD to get them out of the bike or anything.

All beadblasting will do for ya is make the steels thinner. Not a good thing. You need all the steel thickness available to increase the clampload on the frictions. I got a complete, Yamaha, clutch off ebay last year for around 200. I've got an exta diaphram spring if you want to do the double diaphram mod. Yours for the cost of shipping.
Later
FW

All beadblasting will do for ya is make the steels thinner. Not a good thing. You need all the steel thickness available to increase the clampload on the frictions. I got a complete, Yamaha, clutch off ebay last year for around 200. I've got an exta diaphram spring if you want to do the double diaphram mod. Yours for the cost of shipping.
Later
FW

I had thought about doing the DD mod, but I'm not so sure about the increased pressure on the clutch lever. I'm happy with how it feels now, and not so sure I would enjoy a stiffer clutch. How much stiffer is it and what benefits does it provide over stock?

I've always been confused about how to do the DD though. When I had my clutch apart, I had NO CLUE which parts were the clutch boss spring and spring seat. Are those the little ring things that fit inside of the half friction disc? And which part is the actual clutch boss? I threw away the half disc because I replaced it with a full one.

I took the bike out for a long ride today and came home VERY pissed off. I don't know if this is any fault of mine or it's a new, completely unrelated issue.
I hammered through the gears and once I get above around 6K rpms (coincidentally where Vboost kicks in at) the bike slips HARD a few times before I shift into the next gear. I just put BRAND NEW friction plates in. Could I have not put things back together right? What the hell is causing this? It really pisses me off. I just want the bike to not have any problems.

Is it slipping in every gear - above 6000 rpms or just in certain gears? May help understand what is going on.

Mike

Is it slipping in every gear - above 6000 rpms or just in certain gears? May help understand what is going on.

Mike

I'm not sure about ALL gears, but it did do it in 3rd gear and 4th gear. I didn't test out the other 3 gears. I will have some time to myself on it tomorrow to try all of them.

If it's all gears than more than likely clutch related problem, if only in certain gears, than tranny problem.

Mike

is it possible the steel plates are bad?

Who knows. I think I'm gonna take Firewrench up on that deal for the 2nd spring. Maybe that will stiffen things up? I don't know. I just have to get this thing back together and not screwed up. I'm sick and tired of hearing the shit from my Harley buddy who likes to keep bragging that his bike "isn't broken at all"

Plus I'm hesitant to race him until I get this issue resolved. Last time we ran was before I replaced the friction discs, and he claims his bike wasn't tuned yet either. I beat him stop sign to stop sign. I wanna have a go at it again just for shits and giggles.....and to shut him up.

Who knows. I think I'm gonna take Firewrench up on that deal for the 2nd spring. Maybe that will stiffen things up? I don't know. I just have to get this thing back together and not screwed up. I'm sick and tired of hearing the shit from my Harley buddy who likes to keep bragging that his bike "isn't broken at all"

Plus I'm hesitant to race him until I get this issue resolved. Last time we ran was before I replaced the friction discs, and he claims his bike wasn't tuned yet either. I beat him stop sign to stop sign. I wanna have a go at it again just for shits and giggles.....and to shut him up.

i hear ya but i'd hate to see something else happen b/c the steel plates were bad.... i have noidea if thats possible or if they're bad tho.. just my $.01

I was just doing some reading up on possible solutions and I read something about the gear selector segment. My bike is a 97, and they switched to a new style in 99. Maybe this is the culprit?

Or.....I replaced the half friction disc with a full one. Discarded the other two larger circle-looking things that fit inside of the half disc. Should I have also removed the retaining wire even though I didn't put a 2nd spring in the clutch?

That doesn't make the clutch slip though!

I'd bead blast tiger stripes on them. Just real quick!

You did soak the plates in oil for a while before installing them right?

Chris

That doesn't make the clutch slip though!

I'd bead blast tiger stripes on them. Just real quick!

You did soak the plates in oil for a while before installing them right?

Chris
I didn't "soak" them in oil "for a while" but I made sure they were nice and slick when I put them back in the bike.

This is what EBC would like to see done.

"soak for 20 minutes in engine oil. The reason for this is to prevent seizure to the steel plates during initial break in"

This is what EBC would like to see done.

"soak for 20 minutes in engine oil. The reason for this is to prevent seizure to the steel plates during initial break in"

I shall try taking them back out and soaking them. Hopefully it's that simple of a fix. Something is telling me it isn't though, because that's just the luck that I have.

Nah! Don't worry about it now! To late! I think you have other issues.

Try checking the thickness of the steels and if they are good then bead blast some stripes in them. A double D may get rid of your issue but it's just an adhesive bandage for another problem.

ekozy, did u test in other gears? i'd get a good diagnosis of the problem before u tear into it and have to start replacing gaskets again.

Try checking the thickness of the steels and if they are good then bead blast some stripes in them.

Will do.

ekozy, did u test in other gears? i'd get a good diagnosis of the problem before u tear into it and have to start replacing gaskets again.

I just put that new gasket on the bike on Friday. I wouldn't replace it again. I'm sure I would be fine if I don't change it.

Back