Is it possible to...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suave Cowboy

Reaction score
Is it possible for Vrod rims to fit on a vmax? They are the older ones that come with a stock 120/70-ZR19 60W and 180/55-ZR18 74W. They appear to be off a 2003... I'd really like them to put some radials on my bike for cheap. I was hoping someone who knew a bit more about the Vrod and Vmax could help me out? Mind you, my bike is stock in that department. I don't want to have to get a new swing arm or anything. The only real reason I'd pick this route is because of how freakin' cheap these rims are! If I have to put in a lot of man hours or modify lots of other things then it'd be defeating the purpose.

:cheers:If you read this, please post and bump it, even if you don't know!:thumbs up:

Oh... Yep, they are. The picture I saw was the rotor side for the rear :hmmm: So to make this work I'd have to probably have the center female shaft end on my max's stock rim cut out and re-welded to the vrod rim?

Oh... Yep, they are. The picture I saw was the rotor side for the rear :hmmm: So to make this work I'd have to probably have the center female shaft end on my max's stock rim cut out and re-welded to the vrod rim?

Pretty much. I have one on my max.

Mike

Attachments

• vmax2012-2.jpg
    vmax2012-2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 63
Pretty much. I have one on my max.

Mike

Just the front? I think your better off sending rear rim to kosman or buying a 17 rim that bolts up to the max. No way around this with the VROD it will cost ummmm some DOUGH

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Just the front? I think your better off sending rear rim to kosman or buying a 17 rim that bolts up to the max. No way around this with the VROD it will cost ummmm some DOUGH

No, it looks like the rear is the Vrod rim. They are completely solid with no spokes, at least the 180 is. How did you go about doing that? Was it cheaper than the 600 dollars for Kosman to re-do the stock rim? I can snag the pair of Vrod rims for 75 bucks, maybe even 50.

No, it looks like the rear is the Vrod rim. They are completely solid with no spokes, at least the 180 is. How did you go about doing that? Was it cheaper than the 600 dollars for Kosman to re-do the stock rim? I can snag the pair of Vrod rims for 75 bucks, maybe even 50.

The front rim is from an 85 Vmax.

I bought the modified rear Vrod/Vmax rim off ebay a few years back for $500. It looks like the guy cut out the complete centre hub of the Vmax and welded it on the Vrod rim.

Mike

The front rim is from an 85 Vmax.

I bought the modified rear Vrod/Vmax rim off ebay a few years back for $500. It looks like the guy cut out the complete centre hub of the Vmax and welded it on the Vrod rim.

Mike

You might be on to something there cowboy.. pictures speak a thousand words tho. You better have a dam good welder do it tho. Its gonna have to be boner strait! Lol.

Max I thought that was an older rim but wasn't sure lol

the cheapest way to get radials is to send a spare rear (or yours) to kosman.

if you want a wider front (to fit anything bigger than a 110 radial) you'll have to get the front done too. but at that point your in cazz money. and at that point go talk to morley those are the rims to get.

sure there are cheaper ways, like finding a used one, but thats not guaranteed.

I love my Kosman rear wheel. I didn't like the look of many of the aftermarket wheels that were available for the Vmax, so when I learned of Kosman I contacted them and a few months later I was ready for radials.

Attachments

• Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 34
  • RIght Side.jpg
    RIght Side.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 33
I heard about some french company that had already mated a rear GXR wheel with the vmax shaft part, and sold the rear for 600 vs kosman's 550 and was a lot prettier and shipped imediately. Hold on, I'll find the link really fast.

Source: BBR Engineering; www.bbr-smpp.com; 011-39880926; Jean-Paul Barboni
Product: GSX-R 17" rear wheel mated to a V-Max hub
Cost: Approximately $600 (rear only)
Comment: Call Jean-Paul to arrange for payment and a week later you’ll receive a polished GSX-R rear wheel that will fit your V-Max. The quickest and easiest way to get up and running on radial tires. Jean-Paul reports that he will be offering a 17" front wheel for the stock V-Max front-end in 2001.

Here it is, I remembered reading the link on Vmaxoutlaw.

www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/rear_wheel_alternatives.htm

My machinist used to make a lot of those wheels back in the '80's for drag racers, but he's no-cheaper than Kosman. He will still do them.

Well thanks everyone for the input! I'm afraid I'm going to just have to can this idea, I'm actually trying to sell my max. I'm considering buying a gen2 next riding season or maybe a R3R. It wouldn't make sense to put 600 bucks in on this for radials, I doubt it'd even get me 100 bucks more out of it from anyone not on this forum.

I think I would go with this design
swept3_t.jpg

Latest posts

Back