Is the Engine VIN supposed to match the Chassis VIN?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Confirm this for me.
Also, the engine VIN is on the left side, just above the left peg?

Geeze, looks like I kicked a bees nest on this one.
I would expect that both to match. If bike were stolen; example.
Worse example: you're pulled over, cop runs VIN on your engine, comes back that the VIN matches a chassis that was stolen...tender lovin commences.

It should match unless the motor has been switched. All 7 of my Vmax's matched.

The serial number is on the left rear below the cylinder head.

Obviously that doesn't mean anything if parts have been swapped out. So you could have a different motor in a different frame.

The only thing that matters is that you have a title for your frame and its clean. A different number motor means nothing. I guess if it was pushed hard enough and it was a stolen serial number on the motor, it could cause a problem, but that would be pretty rare instance.

Obviously that doesn't mean anything if parts have been swapped out. So you could have a different motor in a different frame.

The only thing that matters is that you have a title for your frame and its clean. A different number motor means nothing. I guess if it was pushed hard enough and it was a stolen serial number on the motor, it could cause a problem, but that would be pretty rare instance.

So, can I call...and will you accept the phone charges...:rofl_200:

For many years they did match but for whatever reason in the late 90's into the 2000's they had a few that did not and not sure why that was.

For many years they did match but for whatever reason in the late 90's into the 2000's they had a few that did not and not sure why that was.

Would it be possible to call Yamaha and confirm what chassis VIN matches engine VIN?

I don't think they will have records showing that since they aren't like Harley and don't have to have an engine title.

Now, what's the numbers of what you have? Pictures of the engine and year of bike. If swapped and depending on years of engines used there may be tell tale signs that will show it was swapped. Specfically engine color combinations, oil filter type, ect....

Just got off the phone with Yamaha Corporate. Confirmed that the chassis and engine VIN do match. I assumed that they would have records showing.

If anyone is interested: 800 962 7926 , just tell em Fal sent you :biglaugh: .

I can tell you we have seen that is not the case with bikes owned by the original owners. It's not very common to have had it that way but it has happened.

I can tell you we have seen that is not the case with bikes owned by the original owners. It's not very common to have had it that way but it has happened.

My apologies, I was not clear on my last reply.
My VINs 'do not match'. Called corporate, and confirmed that my engine and chassis are mated original.

Back