Kerker header question(oh,New guy here)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stingray230sx

Reaction score
hi guys, newbie to the forum , but i have owned my 1997 Vmax for a year now(bought this time last year off e-bay) and i have an exhaust question about the Kirker 4-1 system thats currently on my bike.

i am in the process of replacing the exhaust header gaskets and when removing the allen nuts at the cylinder head flanges of the rear cylinder down pipes i notice that they are kinda loose fit where they slip into the rest of the system(in fact i was able to remove them from the bike real easy)

my question i since there are no clamps on these down tubes where they slip fit into the rest of the system , should i use some kind of sealer at this joint?

Or should i try and locate some clamps that maybe SHOULD be on there?

thanks guys

doug

Re: Kirker header question(oh,New guy here)

Doug, stock has clamps but aftermarket usually don't. It could be the header flange isn't thick enough. My aftermarket headers fit tight with only gasket and the stock header bolts.

Doug,
Are you talking about the area I circled in red (on the attached picture) I believe the Kerker instructions said to put high temp silicone in the "slip in" connection areas. I think this is mainly so it will actually come apart when/if you ever try to remove it.

Jeff

Attachments

• Kerker.jpg
    Kerker.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 60

I have the same system and there is no clamps, it is a "pressure fit". Do as hubeerjw posted with the silicone if it is loose. I'm surprised yours is loose and as mines really tight and a beotch to put together so I don't use the silicone on mine.

I use High Temp Red RTV Silicone on my kerker 4-1 My system will leak if I dont use it on the rear down pipes
To be honest I think my Kerker System is on the way out I have been running it now since 2000

I use High Temp Red RTV Silicone on my kerker 4-1 My system will leak if I dont use it on the rear down pipes

thats what i believe is leaking on mine(when i bought it the PO gave me two(2)of the exhaust gaskets that go at the cylinder head flanges and said that the rear were leaking.
i could never determine that but went to the dealer and ordered two(2) more and thought if i am gonna be wrenching on her i will at least change all four(4) and last nite while removing the flange nuts the two(2) downpipes came off so easy i figured that was where the leak was(the lower slip joints)

ok , no problem i will just get some high temp silicon/exhaust sealer(i read the two brothers instructions for installing their cans on my Ducati and that was where i read about a sealer of some sort so i figured someone would know)

thanks guys

doug

100% pure silicon works quite well. Available for much less then the "high temp" stuff and usually available in clear so it doesn't look goofy. Get it at your local hardware store. Works for almost every gasket surface (though not normally needed on these bikes anywhere).

Sean

After I had my rusty Kerker recoated it leaked like a bitch from the rear slip pipes/head pipe joint. The up-pipes on the head pipe were pitted badly and one pipe was actually missing a small piece of pipe from the tip. It is a VERY loose fit. I tried the hi-temp stuff to no avail. I cobbled a simple hanger that mounts to the factory center muffler bolt hole. Super jank, but it keeps the head pipe up high enough to eliminate 99% of the exhaust leak. You can tell if its leaking from the cylinder head end or the pipe end by placing a towel/rag over the lower slip joints of the exhaust and feeling around the cylinder head mounts for exhaust escaping.

Well i just finished putting all new gaskets at the flanges(cylinder head) and i used high temp silicon at the two(2)rear cylinder downpipes' slipjoint connections......so i will wait till 2morrow and fire her up and see if it took care of my exhaust leak(fingers crossed) as i still gotta change the oil and glue on the new grips(which still havent come yet)even though i paid for overnite...argh.....

talk about last minute, supposed to put her on a trailer on wednesday or thursday latest(heading for south carolina for bike week)

doug(worlds finest procrastinator)

Well , got the oil changed and fired her up and no exhaust leaks so far!!!

now to shine her up a bit!!!

thanks guys

doug

Latest posts

Back