Kerker turn down Extension pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
For those that run the Kerker 4-2-1 with a 2.5 comp baffle you know how loud it can be when riding down the interstate at 80 MPH and the tach is running 6000. After awhile this tends to be hard on the ear drum.
After putting up with it for 4 yrs I had enough and decided to do something about but not take away that awesome Kerker sound.
I made an extension turn down tip to put on the can. I tell you what, its so nice now running at interstate speeds and not having your ears ring. Its still loud but the noise is directed down and away from you rather than coming out right below your ear drum.
I am not sure how it looks part of me thinks its to long and nother part of likes it. Whats your opinion on the look?

It does what its supposed to Ahhh what a relief!!

Attachments

• kerker side.jpg
    kerker side.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Rear kerker.jpg
    Rear kerker.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 156
Sorry dude, IMHO it is butt ugly.

When I had the Kerker I used ear plugs.

Sorry dude, IMHO it is butt ugly.

When I had the Kerker I used ear plugs.

Thanks for your opinion. I am thinking the aluminum can is clashing with the chrome tip. I think I am going to have the can and cap chromed to match the tip.

But no more ear plugs :eusa_dance:

it looks good from the back but from the side it is hideous, i would shorten it to where its just long enough to curve down

If you could make it really short and hug up close it would be awesome. I have thought about this myself. I would be interested in a setup like this if it was as mentioned.

I love the sound... I'm worried about those around me.

Frank

Yeah, I agree... If it matched the can and was a wee bit shorter it would look good. Maybe have it come to the same line as the rear fender or not sticking out past the rear tire.

Sorry Lankee, but it just doesn't look right, especially from the side view. Shorter would look better, but it may not function as well for what your looking at accomplishing.

I find that the Kerker can's diameter is to small for the diameter of the tip. But sometimes function over form is necessary.

I also have a Kerker system with all 3 baffle diameters - I have had to go with the 1.5" in the last year because of getting pulled over twice due to noise (once with the 2" and once with the 2.5")

Recently picked up a Scorpion carbon oval can and will try that out to see if I like it.

Mike

Sorry Lankee, but it just doesn't look right, especially from the side view. Shorter would look better, but it may not function as well for what your looking at accomplishing.

I find that the Kerker can's diameter is to small for the diameter of the tip. But sometimes function over form is necessary.

I also have a Kerker system with all 3 baffle diameters - I have had to go with the 1.5" in the last year because of getting pulled over twice due to noise (once with the 2" and once with the 2.5")

Recently picked up a Scorpion carbon oval can and will try that out to see if I like it.

Mike

Hey Mike
Sorry to hear about your noise citations. I would defentily goto court if I got one here in TN. I also would bring the paperwork for the exhaust. I also would ask what is the maximum decibels allowed. Than I would ask the officer who wrote the citation for the discovery paperwork on the Sound level meter or noise dosimeters. (They dont carry them) That I would ask how he would know if I was more than the law allowed, Case Dismissed. Thank you. This goes for anyone who gets harrassed by there local police.

FTP

I kinda like it... I think I'm the only one... I do think somehting that might make it a little more pleasing, is to make it more of a slash cut, or you could even get fancy and cut the tip to a point... something to cut the shit out of you as you walk by.

Attachments

• pipes1.jpg
    pipes1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 44
Hey Mike
Sorry to hear about your noise citations. I would defentily goto court if I got one here in TN. I also would bring the paperwork for the exhaust. I also would ask what is the maximum decibels allowed. Than I would ask the officer who wrote the citation for the discovery paperwork on the Sound level meter or noise dosimeters. (They dont carry them) That I would ask how he would know if I was more than the law allowed, Case Dismissed. Thank you. This goes for anyone who gets harrassed by there local police.

FTP

1st time was a warning, second time he gonna charge me, but after some civil debate, and didn't charge me for the exhaust noise but did charge me for the tinted license plate cover (illegal in my area) I did take that to court but unfortunately, I lost :bang head: I went back to the 1.5" baffle mostly because I don't need the hassle, but sometimes on cruise night I like to put the 2.5" baffle back in - just love the sound of it.

Mike

Kerker makes a turn down tip for that can anyway. I have one laying around here somewhere. Looks much more like normal but still not something I like (it's also a 2" opening).

Sean Morley

I kinda like it... I think I'm the only one... I do think somehting that might make it a little more pleasing, is to make it more of a slash cut, or you could even get fancy and cut the tip to a point... something to cut the shit out of you as you walk by.

Kinda looks like my old pipes on my chopper. :punk:

Attachments

• chopper.jpg
    chopper.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 37
If you cut the tip right at the angle point straight down like a normal turn down pipe you will find it sends the sound out the back directed away from you and your ears and does not need to be so long. I have a custom made Carbon Fiber Can made for the Kerker exhaust with a tip on the end that is short but faces straight out the rear and it cuts the sound in half that reaches you but everyone else will hear you .

If you cut the tip right at the angle point straight down like a normal turn down pipe you will find it sends the sound out the back directed away from you and your ears and does not need to be so long. I have a custom made Carbon Fiber Can made for the Kerker exhaust with a tip on the end that is short but faces straight out the rear and it cuts the sound in half that reaches you but everyone else will hear you .

I have taken the advice and most here say it does look to long. I was on the half and half just needed more opinions from here.
I have been trying to make some templates to cut a patternt to rather than just taking a dremel and hacking away.
Once I see a tip I like I am going to draw it out and have a pattern to go by. Art work isnt one of my finer skills.
Yes its much better to ride now made a huge difference on the highway. I guess I am getting older! :bang head:

Yeah! Too long!

I noticed a big difference going from the flat ended cans of Walkers to his super comps even though the S comps are louder they are turned down which I prefer which like you noticed directs the sound down.:thumbs up:

Attachments

• Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 54
YEA my kerker 4-2-1 has the flat end and i would love to have that cap with the "spout" or "turndown" on it....anybody know what vendors sell them???

doug

I am sure I can get a kerker turn down tip for you. The last one I had was a 2" outlet and not sure what other options there are. Email me directly if you want me to check.

Sean

I know im a little late with the reply...

but the tip does look ugly.

why dont you just wear ear plugs?

Back