Larger Fuel Tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes , I was surfing on this website yesterday and seen a company out of the U.K that sells a 5 gallon tank for v-max as well as other v-max parts. Not to sure of name of company but I am site of you check out vendors or suppliers on this website you find it.

Thanks has anyone installed one on there bike that you have heard? just wondering whats involved other than triming the mud guard

I am not sure about them but I know a German site lists the same tank on it's web catalog but when you contact them says it is no longer made. I do know you can increase the size of the stock tank or even get a spare that replaces you rear pass seat. If no one posts a link I'll dig it up and link it when I get a chance.

Exactrep (in the touring section) sell a 20.5 litre tank that replaces the OE. It is a BRM item so you may want to compare prices. The BRM site also has the fitting instructions so you will get a better idea of what is involved.
MEK make a 5 litre axillary tank that replaces the faux tank but this is €200 more than the BRM/ Exactrep item and (IMHO) spoils the line of the bike.

I have fitted one of the BRM/ Exactrep items to my bike and if you can stand the cost would recommend it.

The tank is a 'kin tight fit into the frame so a second pair of hands would be of benefit.
Only other issue is that the rear brake reservoir cap can be a bit of a barsteward to get back on.
If you have non OE headers (without the heat-shield) you would need to make up something suitable or get the BRM item for an additional
€44.

That's it really - fit and enjoy a tank range of 150 to 160 miles! :rofl_200:

Let me know if you need any more info.

thanks guys Idk if I can do 800 bucks for that tank @ blurr see if u can find me that link about the replacing the rear seat or modifying the tank

You could get one of our extended swingarms then our optional extended tank (adds over a gallon).

Sean

There's only a few lucky sombitch's around here with one of those tanks. I have one and that's because I got it for free basically. Long story...anyway I can't say its worth the cash but it definitely takes you further. 165 in town and 200 on the highway. Install was easy, trimming fender was simple.
I like Seans idea. Lengthen the swing arm like it should be and use your stock tank with added space.

First thing is the extended arm:
3" over arm (exchanged):
$500 Standard Arm - Notched/Braced - 1"x2" box tubing - Uncoated - No shock relocation (it would get moved 3" back)
$100 Shock Relocation Bracket (puts shocks back to within .5" of stock position) - used on drive side
$150 Driveshaft Extender ($250 for HD shaft or can be bought from Sportmax)
$55 Brake Line +3 in Length (need to know color - we have clear over silver on hand and maybe black with silver - but any color can be ordered)
$80 New Bearings/Seals (install after refinish work is done)
$120 Powdercoat (chrome is available too for additional cost)
$50 Shipping
------------------------------------
$1055

Then you can get the tank option:
$250 Tank Mod (+1 Gallon though I think it's actually more then that)
$100 Paint - the tank can't be coated due to the way it's had the fittings installed from the factory.

The trade in tank can be rusty since while its apart we can have it blasted to get the rust out. I'm not sure if it needs recoated after that. Some surface rust will reappear but regular use should keep that to a minimum.

We should have new pics very soon of the completed tank all painted up.

Sean

That's a damn bargain for an extended swinger, relocated shocks, lengthened brake lines, AND an extended range tank!! Man Sean how do you make any $$ on this stuff? Nevermind, I don't want to know. $1400 and you got a whole different V-Max!

So I guess the best idea if money were no object would be do do both tank mods. I wonder how much further you'll be able to go?

Figure properly tuned getting 38-40+ mpg on the highway. Our tank increased by 1 gallon (to 5 gallons). Get the overdrive from me and get another 5 mpg - the venture rear diff will also increase fuel mileage.

Sean

So clearly, the MAX is a bike that requires heavy modding, huh? But It's all about the love, i guess. That, and the ability to outrun almost ANYTHING.

There are plenty of pics in our facebook album in the swingarm section.

Back