Leaking anitfreeze new engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcoh4424

Reaction score
So i just bought this engine. and it seems to be leaking antifreeze from those little holes drilled in the side of the engine under each spark plug. It is only leaking from the Front left cylinder(num 1 i think). ANy idea what it might be? the enigine only has 4K miles on it. Is this a serious issue?

Re: Leaking anitfreeze new enigine?

:punk: No Problem, pull the cover where the leak is and replace the rubber plug in the block. You can put some sealer on the plug and re-install for now. Not a big or costly problem to solve. Good Luck, Spurs

You talking about the drain holes within cooling fins? Could be bad hose or water jacket.

You talking about the drain holes within cooling fins? Could be bad hose or water jacket.

+1 Those holes drain water out of the spark plug well. If yer seeing antifreeze, and the bike runs good, check the coolant hose going into the top of the motor.

..if it happens to only leak out 2 of the holes, on opposite sides of the motor - it might be those Coolant Joint assemblies..They have 3 o-rings on them...???..They are kinda right above the spark plugs and I would expect if the Coolant joints are leaking they would drip into those holes and continue out to those little drain holes....

Never seen one leak - but just something to keep in mind when troubleshooting your issue...

[edit..]

ok, I just looked at the microfiche...if its the front head,left side as your sitting on the bike = then I would agree to check the coolant hose they mentioned above...

There are also coolant drains under the small rectangular covers. It's not uncommon for those to leak if an engine has sat for any length of time.
Sean

If it's leaking out of the spark plug well drain holes then don't see how it could be the coolant plugs under the rectangular covers that are BELOW the spark plug well drain holes, unless it's blowing up there first.

If it is the little bungs under the rectangular covers then it is an easy fix as others have said....

If it's the hoses going into the top of ther motor should be easy to fix too.........

If it's the coolant joint that goes between the cylinders on the heads that has the little roll pin to keep it in place I would not ride it until I fixed it, if these o-rings leak it can put water into the crank case as well as out of it.......

Back