LED indicators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecarjohn

Reaction score
At the risk of this being previously discussed, could anyone advise on resolving the fast flash rate when fitting LED indicators ?

Not fitted yet, but would like to get ahead of the potential problem. Having done this on a previous bike (BMW), started with resistors until later modification to the strange German indicator system (bizarre 3 switch set up) that an LED friendly relay could be used.
:ummm:

I just wired in 2, 8 ohm 50 w resisitors for the back signals only. I did change all 4 to led. It flashes a little fast, but think it looks better that way.

Thanks for responses. Have done the resistor route previously, but as this doesn't result in a useful reduction in electrical energy consumption prefer LED friendly relays. For the record, we have a sidecar fitted with all that means in lights etc.
Have found some relay connection ideas elsewhere on the forum, so will try these. However, still appreciate and respect other thoughts.

I opted for dash diode mod and the replacement of the signals and tail lights to LED. I was fortunate I didn't have to swap the relay since the blinking is slightly faster. Overall it's about 100w saved. Part of it went to the headlight with stackered hid projectors.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hello all,

Update on addressing on dealing with the excess flash rate.
As advised elsewhere on this forum opted to fit an LED friendly relay into the circuit by disconnecting the brown and brown white from the standard relay and connecting to the new one.
The other three wires are left in place, so I expect functions to remain as required. Time will tell on that, but no reason not to think things will be fine.
Further amendments to lighting still on the boil, so images in due course.
Again, many thanks for advice and suggestions. As ever, a great forum inhabited by friendly guys.

The led relay was the route I took. Got the relay from amazon.com and wired it as you described. Mounted it on the middle screw holding the electronics behind the left scoop. No one can tell it isn't a stock item when they see it. Very clean and easy and the flash rate is spot on.

Diodes on the idiot light, led relay as previously mentioned, and that's all you should need to do. I did this and got rid of the resistors I was using and saw a massive difference in my power usage. I also wired in one of the $5 voltmeters from Amazon up by my gauges so I can see what my battery power is looking like while I ride (plus it looks cool)

Have recounted tales of woe with Yamaha wiring colours in another thread. Familiar electrical mysteries influence approach as well as advancing years. However, some slight resolution, but a mystery remains.

To date LED lights fitted front and rear of bike, sidecar stuff so far untouched, but working. Accept that there still could be some issues in this part of our unusual vehicle (it's a life style choice for over 40 years, so no apologies).

However, a remaining puzzle that may require an international conference to resolve. With LED indicators fore and aft, the right hand (bike) ones work fine. Excessive flasher rate sorted by use of LED relay. When left indicator selected, all the indicators on both sides operate.

Consideration of some crossed wire issue still up for investigation, but the puzzle is that by taking the last LED indicator light fitted out of the circuit, and replacing with a standard bulb unit, everything works OK. Tried an alternative LED light unit to check a potential problem with chosen unit, but problem remains.

If I scratch my head any more the splinters in my fingers will require medical treatment. Help !
:ummm:

Sounds to me like you need to install some resistors. I say that because if you change back to an non-LED light it works fine.

As far as why the right side works and the left does not, I'm not sure.

Are there any differences between the two? Is the sidecar mounted on the right? Do you have an additional signal light attached to the right side? If so, maybe that additional load is enough to make the circuit work properly on that side but, the left bleeds over to the right side since you have a minimal load with the LEDS on that side. Just a far out guess.

Resistors resisted as the problem appears resolved. For what it's worth, the power saving benefits of LED lighting are lost due to the power absorbtion of the resistors creating heat, a factor that creates its own potential problems.

A general look around other forums revealed an almost identical problem, not on some modern bike, but an old world Royal Enfield. As with our Max, the classic Brit/Indian bike has a single indicator warning light rather than separate for left and right. The minimal flow of electricity to the single warning lamp was sufficient to light up my newly fitted LEDs. The fact that this only occurred when indicating left, and not right, was there are still standard bulbs on the left (sidecar).

So, the standard indicator warning bulb has been removed, and the previous owner's dual warning lights reconnected. Ultimately, logical I guess, but not immediately obvious.

Again, thanks to those taking an interest in my frustrating issue.

Latest posts

Back