longer 5th gear and a new 2nd

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogoS

Reaction score
hello. i own a custom vmax and ive got the second gear blues.

i was wondering if anyone can direct me as to wear to get new parts for my tranny rebuild.

also i would like to install a longer 5th gear just becuz of the gas mileage. does anyone know where and if this is possible? were can i get the parts from.

thanks in advance.

hello. i own a custom vmax and ive got the second gear blues.

i was wondering if anyone can direct me as to wear to get new parts for my tranny rebuild.

also i would like to install a longer 5th gear just becuz of the gas mileage. does anyone know where and if this is possible? were can i get the parts from.

thanks in advance.

Click on the Morley's muscle link in the upper right hand corner. Hes got what you need. He'll hook you up.

If you are popping out of 2nd you will need to replace parts and K&N will be your best bet since we lost Gary McCoy at University. You can install a Venture 5th gear to lower your cruising RPMs and still have the bottom end acceleration.

Morley is your best bet, he's probably got the parts laying around.

The motor has to come out and the cases split. Heads don't have to come off tho' although if I had to pull a motor and split the cases I'd go for a full rebuild anyway.

And yes it can be done.

I'm guessing :ummm:2nd gear and 5th gear parts are probably around $750 bought new

You might also check into if maybe you just have a screwed up shift fork or something, some guys on here know a hell of a lot more about that than I do

Sean, Mark, Shawn etc.....:worthy:

If you have to pay someone to do it it can get really expensive. Labors way the hell more than the parts.

Honda wanted $1300 only for 2nd gear changeout on my V65 19 years ago

Needless to say I did it myself.

Rusty

I do offer the overdrive trans. If consists of 2 new fifth gears from yamaha (royal star venture). I used to just bolt the gears in but there is a mismatch that could cause some serious long term problems just by doing that. I never had any but they gears were not smooth as normal.

To get the gears to work correctly we have to back cut them to match the mating gears (2nd).

The gears themselves run $150 and it's an additional $150 to match them when undercutting the trans. The typical trans undercut job runs $400 and up depending on how bad the trans was. Many times some of the gears need to have the gear dogs welded up before back cutting. You could just recut the gears but then you get into the "soft" inner of the metal.

If you have the early transmission (85 that was recalled) then you would need to replace at least the 2-3 gear anyway.

I would consider installing new forks, shafts and possibly the shift drum while you have the engine apart. All in all they aren't expensive when compared to the time to replace them later.

Oh, and you're right. I do have the parts laying around - LOL. I can even send a trans in for you and then get yours back in as a core. I charge a little more to do that since I have no idea what shape yours would be in. The one you would get would be like new and ready to go! Looking at $800 exchange counting the overdrive.

Sean Morley

MAN THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I'D BE INTRISTED IN , DOWN THE ROAD A YEAR OR TWO ! :cheers:

I do offer the overdrive trans. If consists of 2 new fifth gears from yamaha (royal star venture). I used to just bolt the gears in but there is a mismatch that could cause some serious long term problems just by doing that. I never had any but they gears were not smooth as normal.

To get the gears to work correctly we have to back cut them to match the mating gears (2nd).

The gears themselves run $150 and it's an additional $150 to match them when undercutting the trans. The typical trans undercut job runs $400 and up depending on how bad the trans was. Many times some of the gears need to have the gear dogs welded up before back cutting. You could just recut the gears but then you get into the "soft" inner of the metal.

If you have the early transmission (85 that was recalled) then you would need to replace at least the 2-3 gear anyway.

I would consider installing new forks, shafts and possibly the shift drum while you have the engine apart. All in all they aren't expensive when compared to the time to replace them later.

Oh, and you're right. I do have the parts laying around - LOL. I can even send a trans in for you and then get yours back in as a core. I charge a little more to do that since I have no idea what shape yours would be in. The one you would get would be like new and ready to go! Looking at $800 exchange counting the overdrive.

Sean Morley

wow guys thanks for the prompt responses.

Mister Morley, just so i undrstand, you'd send me the whole gearbox with the modified 5th gear for 800USD and my transmission?

also, i dont know if ti really do need a 2nd gear cuz of what was said about a screwed up shift fork... basically the trouble is when i give it throttle in second, the whole thing goes clunk clunk clunk, and u can feel that te gear is struggling to hold, in fact it actually jsut keeps skipping out. on low throttle it dont really do it. and it is a progressive thing.

Ive got a stage seven on it. the guy i bout it from says he dynoed it while it was in the UK and hit close to 160+(true or not i dont know yet) but it DOES pull like a mule. ( the bike was in streetfighter mag a few years back)

What you described sounds like the second gear issue. Replacement parts can include one or more of the following parts - 2nd gear, 5th gear, shift drum, shift fork(s) , fork shaft, split locking collar, tranny drive axle shaft.

Unfortunately, the price can add up fast depending on what needs to be replaced.

What you described sounds like the second gear issue. Replacement parts can include one or more of the following parts - 2nd gear, 5th gear, shift drum, shift fork(s) , fork shaft, split locking collar, tranny drive axle shaft.

Unfortunately, the price can add up fast depending on what needs to be replaced.

ouch.. thanks though:ummm:

Yea, it can add up fast. I have every thing on hand. The trans work would cost $800 exchange including the overdrive and fresh undercut. Of course there is shipping (to and from the undercutters and then to you.)

The rest of the parts looks like about $200 give or take for new shift forks, fork shafts, and shift drum. Then you have $50 or so in gaskets and seals (you don't need to pull the heads). You could replace other parts while you are in there but not trans related.

Sean Morley

Does anyone know about how much the rpms drop with the 5th gear overdrive. Before at 55 seemed to be about 3100 or so.?:ummm:

60 = 3000 80 = 4000 100 = 5000

4000 doesn't sound bad for freeway cruising. What is stock (stock wheel also) at 80? I was amazed how high the engine seems to run out on the freeway on my stock 85. Seemed to be a heck of a lot higher than my XS11 was.

Has anyone had problems cruising at 80 for hours at a time (touring) on the Max? Right now, bike feels right at about 60, but 80 and she's running high.

Also, how does the Max pull in top gear with a modified 5th? Can you still peg the needle?

1 - I believe 80 is around 5500 rpm but don't remember
2 - i've cruised for hours at nearly 100 (stopping for fuel)
3 - Yes, it really is buzzy with stock gearing
4 - no, you can't peg the needle with a stock engine. Keep in mind that the bike with that overdrive will do 200mph! You won't get much over 130-135 with a stock engined bike even though you have plenty of RPM left. There is simply not enough HP to overcome wind resistance.

5 - A 1500 upgrade will get you will into the 180's and not sure if you can get more then that (will need a lot of power to get there).

Sean

4 - no, you can't peg the needle with a stock engine. Keep in mind that the bike with that overdrive will do 200mph! You won't get much over 130-135 with a stock engined bike even though you have plenty of RPM left. There is simply not enough HP to overcome wind resistance.

5 - A 1500 upgrade will get you will into the 180's and not sure if you can get more then that (will need a lot of power to get there).

Sean

Sean
It still pulls like a frieght train in 5th ( overdrive with a 1500 and 17 inch wheels) I have to much respect for it in those ranges . I don`t have the balls anymore after my 135 mph crash
Chuck

Most can't appreciate the amount of rpm that overdrive helps make the bike more enjoyable to ride. I really try to encourage people to do it on any engine we open up for trans work.

Sean

Sean

Hmm, might have to do that. I don't get higher than 130 anyway. Haven't had a 140-150 mph blast in years.

Sean

Thanks for the info. 5500 sounds about right..... and is way too high for my liking. Tranny upgrade would be real nice.

When I had my XS11, one could get an 1178 or 1196 big bore kit from Wiseco. Who makes bore kits for the Max and how big are they? Seems like the XS11 kit only gave like 10-15 hp increase, though.

Latest posts

Back