Looking for my first VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFNG

Reaction score
I'm looking for my next toy. I have my heart set on a VMAX, and was hoping you guys could help me out.
I'm not a new rider, and just ended a long relationship with a 1998 Kenny Boyce Daytona Custom.
I have always been drawn to the VMAX, so...no better time than now to start a whole new chapter!
What do I need to look out for? Any quirks or fixes I should be keen to?
Help me make an educated purchase!

Thanks for your time!
J

J.

take a look at this thread:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6845

disregard people saying their year is the fastest, they are all the same HP and fastness. that link shows some of the upgrades that were done, as with anything the newer the better, but as a lot of people have said, a vmax with mid-mileage might be better than low miles due to the carbs sitting...

if u come across any post some pics and i'm sure people will chime in, if u want some help trolling thru your local craigslist shoot me a PM and i'll help out however i can...

Hey FNG,...welcome aboard. and congrats on being bitten by the Max bug.
Just beware the Mod Monkey....
Well there's really not a year to avoid,..but there are more preferential years.
There was only slight changes in years the fork's and oil filter (cartridge to spin on filter "96"), rm's and paint,but it just comes down to price and mileage . I would look for a good 98 or better . with low mileage. Then you have all the new updates and the interesting colour schemes.
I won't talk prices cause some thing that may be expensive to me , might not be expensive to you , and vice versa. But i think you prolly understand a good price for what some one may be asking for the machine.
Hope that helps, ..Happy hunting.
Don't be afraid to ask any thing in here , some one will always try to point you in the right direction.

Keep it shiny side up. :punk:

Hey FNG,...welcome aboard. and congrats on being bitten by the Max bug.
Just beware the Mod Monkey....
Well there's really not a year to avoid,..but there are more preferential years.
There was only slight changes in years the fork's and oil filter (cartridge to spin on filter "96"), rm's and paint,but it just comes down to price and mileage . I would look for a good 98 or better . with low mileage. Then you have all the new updates and the interesting colour schemes.
I won't talk prices cause some thing that may be expensive to me , might not be expensive to you , and vice versa. But i think you prolly understand a good price for what some one may be asking for the machine.
Hope that helps, ..Happy hunting.
Don't be afraid to ask any thing in here , some one will always try to point you in the right direction.

Keep it shiny side up. :punk:

you know, after owning both types of oil filter maxes a 94 and a 2003, i would say honestly, its a minimal difference. as far as time to change the oil, its really not that big of deal. now if there is a difference in the PERFORMANCE of the filter, that i don't know about, count me as learned something, but i wouldn't put all that much into the oil filter change if it was me shopping if the right, a bit older vmax came around..

I've still got my 05 for sale and found a shipping company that does insured shipping for about $500. Not sure where you are at but I am in Kansas.

Sean

always a good option thru sean.. he'd help u customize it as well before he sent it out i'm sure... i'd talk to him definitely, u won't be dissapointed

J.

take a look at this thread:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6845

disregard people saying their year is the fastest, they are all the same HP and fastness. that link shows some of the upgrades that were done, as with anything the newer the better, but as a lot of people have said, a vmax with mid-mileage might be better than low miles due to the carbs sitting...

if u come across any post some pics and i'm sure people will chime in, if u want some help trolling thru your local craigslist shoot me a PM and i'll help out however i can...

Good thread! Good to learn the ins and outs of the different gens.

I'm ready for the mod bug for sure...I've been helping my buddy do his Vrods this winter and it's giving me the itch as well.

I have seen a few V's on Craigslist "locally". I planned on making some calls when I get back from vacation.
I'll probably post pics of the prospects and see what everyone thinks.

I can't wait!!

J

I've still got my 05 for sale and found a shipping company that does insured shipping for about $500. Not sure where you are at but I am in Kansas.

Sean

Just to toss it out there, bike shipping thats a great price. My old bike was sent from Daytona Custom Works in Fla to Alaska in a week for about $1k and that was by truck, then ferry.

Knowing that, and having done business with Sean, he does do his homework to save you money. you will be paying bottom dollar for great service and follow-up.:th_image003:

Last edited:
definitely looks like worth a look..

it also has a corbin seat which is nice.. (sean's seats i've heard are better, and u could always sell it or something... anyways)

do the normal used bike checks but that looks like a really decent deal

Good bike for the price and location to you. We can redo the corbin as well to make it a lot better. It's at least got the bigger forks and brakes (93 was first year for this).

Sean

I'm in Virginia Beach right now, but I'm going to take a look at it when I get back!
I hope it works out!

BTW I've seen quite a few really nice V's out here and it's making my "bug" even worse!

J

Hello.....

Good luck with the search...

I bought a 2000 for $4500.00(plus tax ,title etc......) with a little over 13000 miles on it......:biglaugh:

Now if it stops snowing.....I'll go for a ride:bang head:

Back