Looking to buy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HendR1ck

Reaction score
Hi guys, nice place you have here! I joined up to get more knowlege from first hand experiance from people like you.

I test rode a pretty much stock, except an exhaust, 1993 V-Max and really enjoyed it!!! A V-Max will be my next bike for sure!

Kinda funny though, I ride in on my 2007 R1 that is obviously not stock, and he is warning me how powerful this V-Max is. I'm thinking "Cool, this thing is going to be AWESOME!!" I rode it for about an hour. Town, interstate and a bit on a single lane highway with a few twists and turns. I liked it, but it is not what I was expecting.
I guess with all the hype about the motor, gave me the wrong impression.
Dont get me wrong, I like it!! It has plenty of pull for the type of bike it is.
My R1 dyno's at 160hp at the tire, so dont take this as a slam aginst the V-Max; like I said, I want one and will have one pretty soon.

With that said;
What are the more common problem areas I need to look at when I look at a V-Max?
Thanks all!!

#1. Pops out of 2nd Gear. From too many Power Shifts...:rofl_200:

Gee, I ran a friend and his R1. He had 6 extra teeth on the rear sprocket. He looked back before shifting to 3rd,
expecting to have to look way back for me. Scared the crap outta him cause I was right there... He popped 3rd
and smoked me but there was a Kodak Moment and it was Priceless..

Big 3,000th Post...:clapping:

Thanks for the input.

I will watch the trans then. The one I tested, I did hit a few false neutral's.

Not trying to compare it to My R1, just on the power output thats all.

Great bikes! Cant wait to get one now!

Take a look at the stickys in the Tech Section under the various headings. A bad 2nd gear (jumps-out under load), 'knackered' steering head bearings, leaking fork seals, brake pads ready for replacement, 'wooden' rear shocks, worn tires, battery needs replacement, gummed carbs, neglected maintenance; these are all common areas of concern. You will probably find others in your search. If you have a $5K budget, you will find many worthwhile bikes which need little to use daily if you so-wish. If you insist on only spending $2K, be prepared to spend up to another $2K to get it right, maybe more. There's a reason it's "only $2K." See above.

Bottom line, you are better off getting the newest, lowest mileage bike you can find, and they are out there. You just have to be patient, and maybe be prepared to walk-away if after reading here about the favorite muscle-cruiser of all of us, you consider the price too-high. Nobody is paying asking price in this market. There are people here who have bikes for sale, and you should investigate their opportunities to take possession of something which has been well-maintained and had any issues addressed, or at least, issues will be mentioned as needing attention, should you choose to buy it.

The technology of these bikes is nearly 30 years old, but sensibly chosen mods can update them to a point where you neither break the bank nor the bike. Happy hunting.

Thanks again!

I am 40 years old myself, and remember the first time I saw the V-Max when it came out. I do A LOT of bike maintenance for friends and some customers, so the older models dont scare me too bad.

I will keep looking on the site.

Thanks guys.

+1 ,go for newest and least miles. For example mine only had 30k miles on it when I got it, but it's an 85, not greatly kept. The result is some parts just break from material degredation. Just be patient...don't look too hard. When you find the right Max you will know it.

During a test ride don't be afraid to give it a shift under heavy load, you don't wanna be stuck pulling the motor and splitting the case because you pussy footed a test ride. I think the biggest Max pain is Tranny.

Sweet, I do give a bike a good riding when I take it out. I expect quite a bit from a bike, and can usually get it.

I have run my R1 around Miller Motorsports Park pretty damm good!

I will keep the trans thing in mind when I ride the next one (or two...)

I think there was a guy on here recently practically giving his bike away..might want to check in to it. Helps him out and you get a steal.

Yeah, was it the guy w/good mods who reduced the price to around $4100 after initially asking $5K? Wasn't it in the Greenville SC craigslist?

Here it is: http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/2536072585.html. $4100

$700 worth of tires and brakes in the last 400 miles. $350 worth of front brakes last year. brand new clutch last year. TONS of aftermarket. stock motor. VERY clean. ***update with pictures*** last price drop before putting the bike on ebay. price negotiable. Awesome 1992 yamaha vmax. This bike has been METICULOUSLY cared for and babied its entire life using only synthetic oil. The bike was stripped down to the bare frame and professionally painted BRIGHT red to match the fenders and airbox cover (faux tank). Carb covers, side scoops, DRAG bars, mirrors, gauges, grab bar, exhaust etc. have been chromed... LOTS of Chrome. It has a kerker k series 4-2-1 full exhaust with 2.5" comp baffle... this thing has the most amazing sound out there... very "big block" like. Bike has an msd shift light, small chrome signals, front frame guards, custom stainless "vmax" and tuning fork radiator guard, steering dampener, progressive springs, and many other accessories. Lots of extras. Nology plug wires. Vboost on demand. Has built carbs and was dyno'd and tuned... This bike is awesome, POWERFUL, and FAST. Brand new AVON VENOM tires (FRONT AND REAR TIRES)and rear brake pads and rotor with less then 400 miles on them. Front brakes and clutch replaced last year. All fluids just changed and bled. This bike is a head turner. Around 23k miles (barely ridden over 1k/yr). Honestly, I don't care if it sells or not. I love the bike. thing is... budget's tight and I have always wanted a supermoto, so that's the flavor I'm looking to try next. I will drive to meet you or you can come see the bike where i work. No joy rides but serious inquiries may test ride. Looking to sell or trade for a zupermoto (yamaha wr 250x or Suzuki drz400sm) or enduro (drz400s or wr250r) or SMALL PICKUP WITH A/C. If you want to see the bike, I encourage you to come take a peek at it. My email is directly linked to my phone, so I will get back to you ASAP. Thanks and God bless!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2536072585

Warm it up then ride it hard. Power shift and general hooliganism. Get one needing trans work for cheap and then get a big bore engine from me. That will help close the gap between the R1.

I may have a 1327 chaindrive bike for sale very soon. Made 170ish rwhp!

Sean

Welcome to the best forum for vmax's. I also had a 2002 R1 with about the same hp. I loved the R1 but my wife wasn't a big fan. So I got my 06 max. I had a 97 max about 10 years ago and my wife loved it. You get the best of both worlds. Power when you twist the throttle but the comfort to take a passenger. There are many of things you can do to the max to make her shake in your boots. The biggest thing for me is i miss the handling of my R1. But I rode a vmax last night (Garretts)with a braced swing arm and radial tires. Let me tell you I am hooked and plan to do those mods this winter if wallet allows me. You will not be unhappy with your decision. I am very happy with my bike and look forward to upgrading her. There are a lot of guys here that will help you on this site. Sean and Kyle have all sorts of performance parts . Just ask and they will all help you out..

Something I've found here and with VMax's in general are the greatest people left on this Sorry Assed Planet. If for no other reason, I'll always keep atleast one VMax just to be part of this group. Most everyone here is like or better than a real Brother... I think I've made some friends for life. Now if I can just not Frak that up....:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Before vmaxforum.net:
businessman-nerd-accountant-dollar-notes-thumb17378921.jpg

After vmaxforum.net:
8001_1200x822.jpg

Yeah, so it's not a VMax, gotta problem wid' 'dat?

I worked with Johnny Depp's dad in the same municipality for nearly 20 years, he was the Utilities Director. His name was the same, 'John.' Father & son didn't get along too-well supposedly. Johnny was a guitarist w/a local band, I saw him as he played local clubs, he was not bad.

I know neither Nicholas Cage or his incendiary demon altar-ego.

"Arnold, sit-down and be quiet!" _Gabe Kaplan

I have a 1994 VMAX with 10,900 miles in excellent condition, Just had the Yamaha shop go through the carbs and set everything up. All stock with the exception of a K&N filter. Do want to sell it but may need to. $5000. I am in Mountain Home Arkansas 72653

Mountian Home, Idaho here. That would be a SWEET fly down / ride home though!!

Thanks again guys. The one I rode does have a 2nd gear pop-out issue. I am pretty good with bikes and trans work doesnt scare me. BUT, is it expensive?

Latest posts

Back