Looking to upgrade Masters and calipers.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82ndCowboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK guys.
Ive decided my next mod is to upgrade the brake calipers and master cylinders on My VMAX.
ANY one got any pics of some upgrades?
Was thinking R1 or ZFR1000, but thats not set in stone.
I want bolt on without adapters.
Anyone find any with red pot caps?
I need to find a matching brake and clutch master also.
I need suggestions?

Last edited:
What year is your Vmax? Mine is an 07, and so I went with the 95-97 FZR1000 calipers. The bolt right on, and you can keep the stock masters.

Here are some pics.

They are a bolt on for the 93-07 Vmax.

Attachments

• user8061_pic8072_1372242981.jpg
    user8061_pic8072_1372242981.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 89
  • user8061_pic8978_1396283860.jpg
    user8061_pic8978_1396283860.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Mine's an 07 also, TRaumahawk.
That's the info I am looking for Thank you.
Would actuallly prefer some with Red pot plugs though.
Plus I need to upgrade the masters as well. My brake master needs to be replaced. So im just going redo the whole kit'n kaboodle.

Attachments

• Baby-7-28-14.jpg
    Baby-7-28-14.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 45
A gentile reminder, the FZR1000 stopped production in 1995, after that until the R1 they were called the YZF1000. I don't know if the six-pot calipers were the same across those years. You could try checking on a fiche website to see if the parts numbers were the same for those years. And, the six-pot Sumitomos are not the 'plugged' inserts like the 100 mm spacing R1 calipers, which had either blue or I think gold 'plug' inserts.

An example:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/1996-yamaha-yzf1000r-thunderace-17071.html First year for the YZF1000. Yamaha often used the same components for the FZR750 and the FZR1000 though I believe that the homologation special FZR750 in 1987 (for racing) had upgraded suspension, brakes, and clutch along w/being a 6 speed gearbox instead of the FZR1000's five speed. They called it the OW01 and it's a collectible. Here's a neat interview w/someone who knew how to ride the OW01: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/mo-interview-eddie-lawson.html

What year is your Vmax? Mine is an 07, and so I went with the 95-97 FZR1000 calipers. The bolt right on, and you can keep the stock masters.

Here are some pics.

They are a bolt on for the 93-07 Vmax.

A gentile reminder, the FZR1000 stopped production in 1995, after that until the R1 they were called the YZF1000. I don't know if the six-pot calipers were the same across those years. You could try checking on a fiche website to see if the parts numbers were the same for those years. And, they the six-pot Sumitomos are not the 'plugged' inserts like the 100 mm spacing R1 calipers, which had either blue or I think gold 'plug' inserts.

I think they are also known as the YZF 750R, but from 96?

EDIT**** Here is what they are called on Ebay. Yamaha YZF 750 SP 4HS 1993-1997

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161144803699?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
The Nissin clutch and brake lever/master cyl's is a good deal, probably close to what OEM Yamaha complete assemblies would run.

There are threads about what dia master cyl to run for 6 pot brakes, I guess exactrep should know the correct sizing, it doesn't hurt to ask.

The Harrison's are popular w/BMW riders too, and I bet the H-D guys may use them, though Joker Machine and PM are what you often see for the H-D's.

I think the 6-pot Sumitomo's are good if you can get them reasonably, especially if they don't need rebuilding, though anything like that I would disassemble and inspect because you are betting your life on them.

As I recall the '85-'92 spacing on the sliders for the brake mounts is 84 mm (I just measured/checked). The 1993-'07 spacing is 100 mm o.c. and the Sumitomos are 100 mm, so thay bolt directly to the late model VMax legs, but would need adapters for the early ones. And Sean Morley has the GSXR adapters for the early VMax sliders to run the Suzuki 6 pot calipers. I see you have a 2006, so you already have the 100 mm spacing.

First pic is of the FZR750/1000 and YZF 6-pot caliper spacing, there's a bit of parallax error in the pic, the spacing is 1oo mm as-stated. The second pic is the 6-pot Sumitomo Yamaha caliper next to the early model VMax slider.

Attachments

• '85-'92 VMax slider-FZR Sumitomo caliper.02.jpg
    '85-'92 VMax slider-FZR Sumitomo caliper.02.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 39
  • '85-'92 VMax slider-FZR Sumitomo caliper.jpg
    '85-'92 VMax slider-FZR Sumitomo caliper.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 47
OK, I'm selling off a kidney and half my liver so I can get these...
http://exactrep.com/acatalog/brakes.html

Any one got some spare cash?

If you are looking to upgrade your 2006 Max you won't need those. Keep your kidney and liver! We already have 100mm spacing because they upgraded to 4 pot brakes in 1993 at the same time they bumped up the fork tubes to 43mm. The earlier bikes need the adapters because they had 83mm caliper spacing. :punk:

If you go with R1 calipers the inserts can be removed with a special tool. I made a crude one and it worked. You would need to strip the anodizing and get them re coated. Or just mask and spray.

+1, the R1's are cheap and plentiful. I don't know how-much an improvement the R1 calipers would be over your 4-pot stockers, unless you are just going for 'something different' from stock, and want the plug to match trim on your bike.

If you go with R1 calipers the inserts can be removed with a special tool. I made a crude one and it worked. You would need to strip the anodizing and get them re coated. Or just mask and spray.

+1, the R1's are cheap and plentiful. I don't know how-much an improvement the R1 calipers would be over your 4-pot stockers, unless you are just going for 'something different' from stock, and want the plug to match trim on your bike.

YUP! Thats what I'm looking for FireMedic.
Although totally upgrading the performance would be spectacular. The Red pot plugs are something I've always wanted. But I'll do without red for a better quality caliper, as long as I'm happy with the color.
No gold is going on my MAX.
END OF COLOR DISCUSSION.

OK handle bars are 7/8, right?

Whats the diam and stroke on our brake and clutch masters? Anyone know?

INfo INFO I NEED INFO! I'm on a Roll now bitches.

I'm gonna make this happen!

OK handle bars are 7/8, right?

Whats the diam and stroke on our brake and clutch masters? Anyone know?

INfo INFO I NEED INFO! I'm on a Roll now bitches.

I'm gonna make this happen!

7/8" handle bars

Both master cylinders are 5/8". Don't know what the stroke is :ummm:

7/8" handle bars

Both master cylinders are 5/8". Don't know what the stroke is :ummm:
Awesome Nubicon, thanks.

So far...
I need Nissin 5/8" axial remote res. masters for 7/8 handle bars.
First I gotta figure out what calipers to use though. Make sure I get the right master for them.

Now I wait on Morley.....
ticking clock....

Here is my hack job of a tool for removing the cap on R1 calipers.
2012-06-16_17-02-38_303.jpg

Here is what the cap looks like with blue anodizing removed
DSC07871.JPG

And this is what it looks like after PC'ing the caliper and then polishing the caps
2012-03-16_20-10-56_31.jpg

Making a tool like Mike did may be a good first effort for my bandsaw I just got. Is the 'star' a piece of aluminum about 1/2" thick?

Back