Low Performance...Possibly?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalinin

Reaction score
Hey all,

OK I can't seem to get a rolling burnout on my max.
I've lost the rear a bit once before, and maybe have done it once but i can't consistently shred rubber. I let go the clutch, and maybe am going about 5mph, and then hammer the throttle...it goes pretty good but no burnout. Furthermore, the bike seems to jack up for a split second, then hesitate and then power through. I recently refitted the airbox to the top of the carbs and tightened everything really good (which raised my idle by about 100rpm, coincidentally), and turned out my mixture screws. Could running too rich cause a low-end bog, or do I have to resync the carbs since I took the airbox off? Now it's idling around 1200rpm fully warm. I did this after about a 10 min ride @ 80F, could it be it's not warmed up enough?

FYI I have a 170 metzler in the rear, not sure if that would cause it to grip better than stock. I also weigh 170 lbs and tend to press forward on launch.

Ok. Post your fueling setup..
Pipes? Y/n
Jetting changes?
A/f screws how many turns out?

That will give the wise ones a better idea of how to help.

I have stock pipes that have been drilled with i'd say 1/2" holes and what looks to be stock jetting. A/f screws are around 2 1/2 turns out, maybe a bit less. Also I have a bit of a surge (needle goes +/- 50 or so intermittently) at idle...when steadily cruising it looks rock solid. Also I revved WOT to about 5-6K, needle dropped quickly but fell slower when below ~3K rpm and settled to idle at about 50-70rpm higher than before. Plugs look pretty white so could be lean...

I would like to know if anyone can do a rolling burnout with a 170 or larger tire by just twisting the throttle. I don't think you'll be able to let the clutch out then hammer the throttle. Think if you want to light up the tire you may have to get on the throttle then drop the clutch. My worry would've is the front going to come up or is the back going to spin. I run the metzler z8 180 and don't think it's going to spin for me as long as I have dry ground.

I would like to know if anyone can do a rolling burnout with a 170 or larger tire by just twisting the throttle. I don't think you'll be able to let the clutch out then hammer the throttle. Think if you want to light up the tire you may have to get on the throttle then drop the clutch. My worry would've is the front going to come up or is the back going to spin. I run the metzler z8 180 and don't think it's going to spin for me as long as I have dry ground.

If you bring the rpm's up enough, it's gonna break-loose! Just cracking the throttle open from idle or just off-idle is more-likely going to make you wheelie.

I think if you have a soapy Dunlop it'll break loose easily.

If you have a grippy Shinko it will not.

With a Metzeler you're in between, prolly still need to shift your weight forward a bit!

Latest posts

Back