Low Pressure in Clutch Lever

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
So my bike has been sitting since Nov and when it was parked everything worked fine, but now the clutch lever has about 1/3 the resistance it usually has when I pull it in. I started the bike a week or so ago and when I pulled in the lever to shift to 1st it didn't quite stall but it took off forwards and i had to stall it with the brakes.

As the pics show there is a leak coming from what I think is the clutch cable. I wasn't sure at first because the valve cover gaskets furthest to the rear of the bike appear to also have a slight leak, but most of the fluid appears to be from the cable.

What I don't understand is the fact that the window in the clutch reservoir is almost full of fluid (It was over-filled when I bought the bike and has barely changed, if at all, since this leak started).

So what's the diagnosis? Do I just need a new clutch cable? Is a leak like this not enough to notice a difference in the reservoir window?

I apologize in advance as I am not very savvy when it comes to things like this so please bare with me.

Thanks,

Connor

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 43
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 41
  • motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 44
Not being bike savvy is ok. Just so that people dont get confused....its a clutch line....not a cable. Clutch cables are on some bikes.....just not this one.

First, put wrenches where the clutch hard line (where it goes into the slave cylinder) screws into the clutch line, and see if that is loose. Second if its loose, and then you tighten it up, the system will probably have to be re-bled, because there is probably air in the system.

I just went and tried tightening everything in the photos and they were all tight already

If you are absolutely sure it's not a leaking line then it's the slave cylinder, they are not too hard to remove.
And I have seen hairline cracks in the double flare lip of steel lines, just under the head.
And on one of my 1200 motors that sat a long time I had to remove the slave because it had too much pressure, turns out the brake fluid had crystals in it, but that engine had been in storage for many years.
Yes it's possible to over tighten a flare nut fitting, vibration then causes a fracture.

You can clean the area....and then dust it with a powder....baby powder...etc.....and then see where the leak is coming from.

So the problem is most likely only caused by the section in the 3rd pic? Is that something where all I'd do is swap it out and flush the system?

Brake clean , compressed air, get it totally dry, never tried talcum powder but sounds like a good idea.
Kinda like a teenager dating joke and a big chick.

Alrighty.... I just went back to school but I'll give the powder thing a try when I go back home.

Assuming the leak is from the pictured area can I just swap the part and flush the system?

Is there a specific part for the leak around the area in pic 3 or do I have to pick up an entire clutch hose?

Bike bandit seems to be telling me that I'd have to pick up the entire hose assembly.

If its leaking between the clutch line....and the hard line....you would have to pick up an entire clutch hose. Instead of going back OEM, I would suggest going back with a steel braided line. That way you dont have to worry about it deteriorating in the future, like a rubber line.

Sean, [email protected] (best way to get him) sells braided lines for brakes....clutches....etc.

If its leaking between the clutch line....and the hard line....you would have to pick up an entire clutch hose. Instead of going back OEM, I would suggest going back with a steel braided line. That way you dont have to worry about it deteriorating in the future, like a rubber line.

Sean, [email protected] (best way to get him) sells braided lines for brakes....clutches....etc.

I may have to cheap out and go with a used oem line. Is there something I should look for in the brake line to tell if that's about to go too? If the brake side is worn out so to speak I'll spring for the ss lines.

I was told by the PO that both lines were new and rebuilt, but now I'm not sure what his idea of "new" was.

I would take the clutch line (off of course) and bend it. If its old....worn, etc, you should see cracks. If there are any cracks, I wouldnt use it.

Same thing for brake lines.

Just as a side note, I would clean that fluid off your engine, if it is coming from the clutch that stuff will eventually eat your paint.

Just as a side note, I would clean that fluid off your engine, if it is coming from the clutch that stuff will eventually eat your paint.

Yeah... I've been away at school but I'll be cleaning it pronto now that I've gotten it diagnosed. Thanks.

Back