Manitoulin Island Bike Trip, June 2013

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V4bandit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning a bike ride up to Tobermory, ON. Crossing on the ferry to Manitoulin Island, tour the island and spending the night possibly in Sudbury, ON. Day two, we ride back home along Hwy 69.
I'm just wondering if anyone has done this run before and had any recommendations of places to stay or see?

Thanks

I have ridden on Manitoulin once, but I was following the leader Jim (thevmaxrider) and Mike (maxcruiser) we stayed the night in South Baymouth. It was a beautiful ride and at one point we stopped on a bluff overlooking Gore Bay. We had lunch in the town of Gore Bay and I had poutine fries for the first time in my life! Delicious!
I'll keep tabs on this post and see if I can ride over to meet up with you guys for the day.
Here are some pics at the Gore Bay overlook and on the ride back through Bay City on the way home.
74230015.jpg 74230021.jpg 74230019.jpg Manitoulin Ride 002.jpg Manitoulin Ride 001.jpg 74230001.jpg

Born and raised in Sudbury, I have been up and down these roads for years.

Manitoulin is a beautiful area to ride with a few nice places to see. Sudbury is a hard rock mining community. Not as pretty to ride around but it does offer some Tourism experiences depending on what you are looking for.

I would be happy to ride along with you and/or offer you any info/help possible.

Mike

I'd be interested in this ride too, as long as it didn't conflict with plans to attend Thunder 2013... which for me will be June 18 -23. Could ride to Brimley to meet up with you Brian for the ride there & back if that would be OK ? I'll keep tabs on this post too to see what develops.

BTW.... years ago, went scuba diving on the wooden boat wrecks there in Tobermory Bay ... coldest frickin water I've ever been in !! :damn angry:

I'd be interested in this ride too, as long as it didn't conflict with plans to attend Thunder 2013... which for me will be June 18 -23. Could ride to Brimley to meet up with you Brian for the ride there & back if that would be OK ? I'll keep tabs on this post too to see what develops.

BTW.... years ago, went scuba diving on the wooden boat wrecks there in Tobermory Bay ... coldest frickin water I've ever been in !! :damn angry:
I'm with Jeff, If it doesn't conflict with Thunder I'll be there. Thunder for me is going to be 6/15 to 6/23, going to try to ride with Tom from GR.
Jeff, that'd be great, we could ride over Friday afternoon. Since it's almost a 5 hour ride from my place to meet up with the guys coming across from Tobemory, you could come up on Thursday afternoon spend the night at my place then we take a nice scenic ride over to South Baymouth spend the night there and wait for the guys to arrive on the ferry. I'm open to whaterever works out since it's not that far for me.

Thanks for the offer Brian. Hope the dates work out so we can do this Mantoulin Island ride ! Sounds like a great time. :eusa_dance:

BTW, keep me posted on your plans to ride to Thunder. Trailered the past two years. Would be cool to possibly ride there, especially with you and Tom if you're open for more riders joing the trek ! :punk:

I have ridden on Manitoulin once, but I was following the leader Jim (thevmaxrider) and Mike (maxcruiser) we stayed the night in South Baymouth. It was a beautiful ride and at one point we stopped on a bluff overlooking Gore Bay. We had lunch in the town of Gore Bay and I had poutine fries for the first time in my life! Delicious!
I'll keep tabs on this post and see if I can ride over to meet up with you guys for the day.
Here are some pics at the Gore Bay overlook and on the ride back through Bay City on the way home.
View attachment 33569 View attachment 33570 View attachment 33571 View attachment 33572 View attachment 33573 View attachment 33574

Damn those pictures bring back some good memories!

Funny thing is your bike, Jim's bike and mine have changed alot since then, damn Mod Monkey.

Mike

Hey guys, I will be trailering to Thunder again this year, need to bring the cooler, tent, tools , etc...............If you decide to get there early Brian let me know, we can split a room for the duration if your interested.....................Tom.

Thanks guys for the info about the island, also the pics were fantastic. I can't wait to go! I'm cool if others wanna tag along on this trip of mine. The date is June 7th and heading home June 8th. I wanna catch the ferry in Tobermory Friday morn @ 8:50am ( So I'll be on the road around 4 - 5am ) I don't really have any set map for the island, just wanna see whats interesting, maybe the falls and some hiking trails. Talking of spending the night in Espanola or Sudbury. ( kind of leaning toward Sudbury , since I might want a pool ) :biglaugh: So far I think I have 5 or 6 buddies coming from cruisers to SS bikes. I'll keep adding to this as I plan more. Still along way out, lol. So far its looking like 5- 6 hr riding each day.:clapping:

Born and raised in Sudbury, I have been up and down these roads for years.

Manitoulin is a beautiful area to ride with a few nice places to see. Sudbury is a hard rock mining community. Not as pretty to ride around but it does offer some Tourism experiences depending on what you are looking for.

I would be happy to ride along with you and/or offer you any info/help possible.

Mike

MAXCRUISER, in your opinion is it worth staying the night in Sudbury. I'm on the fence about staying in Espanola or Sudbury. I'm wondering too if touring the island will leave us with enough time to get to Sudbury to check into our rooms, if we choose to stay there also. I think Google maps says approx. 320km from South Baymouth , around the island and then to Sudbury. But with stops, I'm worried about time. What do you think?

I'm BACK! LOL :eusa_dance: I now have the Manitoulin Trip booked. We will be docking in South Baymouth around 11:50AM Friday June 7th. If any other Vmaxer's want to hook up with us, that would be awesome. I have a nice little group of bikes going. A '87 Goldwing, '87 Super Magna, '96 Magna, '94 Shadow, '94 Boulevard, '03 HD lowrider, and myself on the '85 VMAX. Just going to take a casual pace around the island and check out the cup and saucer trail, bridal veil falls etc.... Then finish the day off with some beverages at the pinewood motor inn, Espanola.

Back