Marty's going on the rollers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martys89

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm excited and relieved to say that I'm still alive after picking up an '89 VMax as my first bike last spring (Feb of '12) and putting on about 3,000 miles last summer. (I had never ridden a bike before.)

It was modified with a Dynojet stage 7 kit, 4 K&N's, a 4-into-1 Vance &Hines exhaust, an aftermarket tail, a pretty nice dark blue paint job, and a few other small things like crash bars and grips when I got it.

I've added a Morley seat, a small windscreen, exhaust wrap, and some vinyl carbon-fiber-look wrap for the scoops which had some scratches.

It's not a show bike by any means, but it's an understatement to say that it's a blast to ride and I get my fair share of attention on it.

Anyway, the reason I needed to make the thread is that tomorrow I get to run it on the dyno at a local bike show. I'll return with results. I'm just so excited to do this that I couldn't help but share. We had a long winter here in Northern MN and it's unbelievably great to be able to be back out riding.

More to come...

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 55
The gentleman running the dyno said that I was running a bit rich. That I wouldn't notice it as much on cold days like the day I put it on the dyno -- about 48F and rainy -- but that in 90F hot summer days it would "fall on its face" and offered to do some tuning to make it leaner. Also figured I'd bump up to 118 or 119 HP.

I told him I'd consider it.

I got the opinion of another more experienced rider and ASE certified auto mechanic -- he said if I was to error on the side of safety, perhaps having it be a little (just a very little, mind you) on the rich side might be the safest place to be, and that tuning it leaner may not be the prudent thing to do.

Thoughts on this?

116.8 is pretty low for having a Stage 7 kit/Aftermarket exhaust, you should be getting 122 -125 RWHP or so.
I'm guessing you're running Really Rich.

My Stock 2000 put down 118.9 and 119.1 the two times I dyno'd it.
Lee's (leecifer) 2000 stocker did 119.8 and 121.2 (with 87 ft/lbs of torque) at Thunder in the Valley last year:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=712&pictureid=6607

Here's a link to the youtube video:

http://youtu.be/Ma67rynruxA

116.8 Horsepower, 74.9 torque

Not too shabby, and man it was fun.

Not trying to be critical or anything...bike looks & sounds great.....but just for my own edification....I thought 117-120HP was about right for stock but your jetted with a pipe....but I always thought torque was supposed to be closer to 90ft-lb? Or was that more Yamaha disinformation of the times?

LOL, Yeah I don't remember my Torque numbers because it's been 9-10 years since I Dyno'd mine but I'm pretty sure it was in the Mid/High 80's.

I Dyno'd it the first time in 2002 because my buddy bought a V-Rod and wanted to show me how much more HP his bike had, he put down about ~92 HP to my ~119 HP.
It cost him the price of my Dyno Run and Beers that night to find that out. :D

LOL, Yeah I don't remember my Torque numbers because it's been 9-10 years since I Dyno'd mine but I'm pretty sure it was in the Mid/High 80's.

I Dyno'd it the first time in 2002 because my buddy bought a V-Rod and wanted to show me how much more HP his bike had, he put down about ~92 HP to my ~119 HP.
It cost him the price of my Dyno Run and Beers that night to find that out. :D

When will THEY ever learn?? :biglaugh:

I don't know how much the numbers would change by going leaner, the tuner with the dyno said that he'd do a complete tune on the bike for about $300 and would expect another few horsepower, in the neighborhood of 118-119.

However, I was also advised that maybe I shouldn't consider going too lean and lowering my reliability/safety.

In your experience, though, I should maybe get the tune done?

Do you think the torque numbers would improve dramatically or could there be another cause behind my numbers not being in the high 80's there?

I appreciate you guys weighing in.

I'd think that with proper jetting that bike should easily get to 120-125 RWHP.
Check the Jetting/Setup Threads and see what jets other guys at around your elevation are using.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16981

I know many guys get a lot more power when running 147.5 Mikuni (158 Dynojet size) or 150 Mikuni Jets (160 Dynojet) without hurting their Vmaxes at all.
A lot of others stay with the stock Mains with a Stage 7 Kit.
The stock Mains are 152.5 Mikunis and many people go way too big with the Mains when they install a Stage 7 kit (like DynoJet 170's which are equal to a Mikuni 160).

The Air Jets also need to be the proper sizes and needles shimmed properly for your Altitude.

Here's a Jet Comparison Chart:
http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm

You can't tune it too lean and hurt it (at least not naturally aspirated). it just won't run well and backfire and pop. Other engines like Harleys will burn up if too lean.

You can't tune it too lean and hurt it (at least not naturally aspirated). it just won't run well and backfire and pop. Other engines like Harleys will burn up if too lean.

Thank you, as you can tell I am leaning towards trying to be safe.

But if I'm safe, I also want to try to make as much power as the bike will make.

Latest posts

Back